Video: "U-turn of Death" temporarily closed as woman motorcyclist said she didn't know the way

rooster59

Video: "U-turn of Death" temporarily closed as woman motorcyclist said she didn't know the way

a93bf9541ac4f98eda35bdaf3f8f747ba12b29145b84d04c73fb78de543a171d.jpg

A U-turn in Nan in Thailand's north that has been dubbed the "U-turn of Death" has been temporarily closed following a series of fatal accidents and injuries. 

In the latest accident on Thursday a female motorcyclist casually pulled across oncoming traffic to use the U-turn causing a pick-up to swerve and collide with many parked vehicles severely injuring the driver.

Sanook reported that Muang Nan police had traced a 23 year old hill tribe woman who told Capt Jirat Janwang that she didn't know the way and had never been there before. 

Two days prior a motorcyclist was killed on the stop when a postal service vehicle could not avoid him as he illegally flew across the road unexpectedly. 

Manager reported that there are now fresh calls to shut the U-turn of death for good. It was closed in the past but reopened after people complained they would have to go out of their way to make a turn. 

The media included many photos of accidents at this spot that is opposite Big C in the downtown area. 

They said the issue was causing much debate in the area.

Siam Rath showed local workers putting up temporary barriers and signage in the area as reaction to the latest incidents continued.

Source: SanookSiam Rath and Manager

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-09

91dce52c50e0845ed45e031e324448ba44c4d39678e2c0dc53c1c55e221af572.jpg

562000002418706.JPEG

dee773d65ec1efe7207688d55c53252365ea239bbd7a36a8d5ef283f106ce8dd.jpg

562000002418702.JPEG

562000002418705.JPEG

well both reports say the motorcyclist, shot across traffic lanes that to me would say, they were totaly in the wrong, same as them flying out of every dam left junction and not even looking to see if traffic is approaching

Looking at the photos, it appears there are some small plastic cones that have been placed in the spaces between the larger concrete-filled orange blocks, allowing motorcyclists to move the small cones themselves and perform a U-turn

Unless I've missed something obvious, if the highways department placed all the concrete-filled blocks end-to-end - with no spaces between them, it would make it a lot more difficult to move them.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Looking at the photos, it appears there are some small plastic cones that have been placed in the spaces between the larger concrete-filled orange blocks, allowing motorcyclists to move the small cones themselves.

Unless I've missed something obvious, if the highways department placed all the concrete-filled blocks end-to-end - with no spaces between them, it would make it a lot more difficult to move them.

And if a cone or two can be moved, you can pretty much guarantee that some idiot will do so, and before the day is out, every bike in town will take the short cut. You have to say that blocking this U-Turn is not going to improve peoples driving, simply move the stupidity further up or down the road.

There is nothing wrong with the intersection. If people would just obey the existing traffic laws, these accidents would not happen. You can not design a countries road network to account for stupidity.

Just now, Seismic said:

There is nothing wrong with the intersection. If people would just obey the existing traffic laws, these accidents would not happen. You can not design a countries road network to account for stupidity.

23 minutes ago, jobsworth said:

What this country needs is round abouts instead of U turns.

I agree but trying to get Thais to conform to the roundabout rules will just not happen. They don't seem to understand that if you want to to turn right you have to go round the long way. Thais like to take short cuts it's in their nature. Thais do not like queues and queuing.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Looking at the photos, it appears there are some small plastic cones that have been placed in the spaces between the larger concrete-filled orange blocks, allowing motorcyclists to move the small cones themselves and perform a U-turn

not sure there's any concrete-filled stuff here

dee773d65ec1efe7207688d55c53252365ea239bbd7a36a8d5ef283f106ce8dd.jpg.2222f89373cdd5a9e159b07a0798dae9.jpg

3 minutes ago, Mitker said:

not sure there's any concrete-filled stuff here

dee773d65ec1efe7207688d55c53252365ea239bbd7a36a8d5ef283f106ce8dd.jpg.2222f89373cdd5a9e159b07a0798dae9.jpg

Looks like you're right, my mistake.

A few years ago I saw some being offloaded with a crane, one that was split did have some concrete in it. Perhaps they're not all the same then.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

It was closed in the past but reopened after people complained they would have to go out of their way to make a turn.

No they won't!  They'll just travel on the wrong side of the road until they find an opening.  Some things will never change.

6 hours ago, metisdead said:

Good!  Keep that intersection closed!

U-turn of death that has clear signs saying 

NO RIGHT TURN

NO U-TURN

If people cannot understand that put a permanent concrete barrier down the centre

2 hours ago, jobsworth said:

That will give less casualties (maybe), but Thai don't know how to drive on round abouts! Having to cross one for a few years I've been hit about 3 times. All non my fault. The insurance guy told me there were about 20 accidents on that round about EVERY DAY!!!

They do not know the concept of giving way to people who are on the round about. Furthermore, they just ignore traffic lights. 

NOTHING will happen in this country to actually reduce casualties. 

The government obviously doesn't want to do something and/or doesn't have a f..ing clue what to do. If some guy in a higher position comes up with an idea like use electronic bracelets as a means to reduce casualties, you know enough about the competency.

Thais themselves are also big part of the problem. Sure, the law is not enforced, but Thais also simply do not have a clue about safety and/or just ignore safety and take their chances. 

I watched both of the videos in yesterday's post. As so often in Thailand, it is utterly impossible to understand the mentality of Thai people doing what they do. Who, with even the brain power of a flea, would drive in that manner, driving across lanes of fast-moving traffic as if they are the only vehicle on the road. It really does take a special kind of stupid, but you see it every day you go out on the roads. Just incredible.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Roundabouts. Simple. Would reduce accidents and deaths.... Well, once the Thai drivers realise you have to go round it!! ????????????

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook reported that Muang Nan police had traced a 23 year old hill tribe woman who told Capt Jirat Janwang that she didn't know the way and had never been there before. 

Which is why she also drove to the other side of the U-turn, and proceeded to drive down the highway against traffic - she didn't know the way.  Hill tribe people must drive on the right side of the elephant trails and get very confused when they encounter asphalt roads.  <headshake>

43 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

once the Thai drivers realise you have to go round it!!

That's the problem! They haven't figured out how to use them. 

An average of 20 accidents EVERY DAY on a round about I frequented in the past. They finally just built a bridge over it to reduce part of the accidents. 

5 hours ago, Rally123 said:

I agree but trying to get Thais to conform to the roundabout rules will just not happen. They don't seem to understand that if you want to to turn right you have to go round the long way. Thais like to take short cuts it's in their nature. Thais do not like queues and queuing.

Excuse me no one likes to take the long way around, there must be a land called short cut central you are from

10 hours ago, metisdead said:

Good!  Keep that intersection closed!

Seeing your avatar I thought first it was the topic, no its the intersection

No offence Sir I could not resist, It's just a wink certainly not a lack of respect:smile:

There has been and still is a lot of new road construction in Surin Province especially in and near Mueang Surin. There are many of these roads with dedicated u-turn lanes like the road in this story.  I use one of these new u-turn lanes every time I go into Surin and at least twice a day taking my daughter to and from school. If the u-turn lane wasn't placed where it is, it would add almost 4 km each of my trips. 

It's not the road design that causes the accidents and deaths, it's due to driver inattention, violating traffic laws, improper lane usage and ignorance. Some posters have suggested that a roundabout is needed at a U-turn. I have only seen roundabouts used where 2 or more streets intersection each other but never when they run parallel to each other. 

8 hours ago, jobsworth said:

And to add, there sure will be accidents happen on these roundabouts, and Thais are stopping then no way for anyone else to pass, blocking all oncoming traffic and wait wait for the insurrance agent then take photos, more insurrances form filling and traffic cops for evidences and then giving way.

No, give me the straight roads, then the other will round about them.

Archived