Video: "U-turn of Death" temporarily closed as woman motorcyclist said she didn't know the way

rooster59

12 hours ago, metisdead said:

Good!  Keep that intersection closed!

Closed intersection means two more U turns a few 100 meters from here, bottlenecks now as they are not designed, back then when the road was laid , as proper U turns because of the intersection.

I may be missing something here, but the intersection does not appear closed in the video., The barrier only goes halfway with warning signs about going straight. yet, there are cars travelling on both sides of the barriers, there is a pass on both sides arrow at the beginning, and to cap it all there is a moron on a bike ignoring everything, coming from the left across traffic, then cutting in front of the barrier and doing a u turn !!!!!!.

I agree that forbidding this U-turn will not change things. 200 meters down the road the same thing will happen. The driving habits of Thai people are appalling, not everyone, but enough to see it everyday, every hour and every minute. No wonder there are so many accidents. I see the aftermath of accidents almost everyday and I drive about 50 minutes a day. Sometimes I see accidents in live! This is insane.  

From my observations the worst drivers are the drivers of pickups, which often speed and do not keep the safe distance trying to push the vehicle in front aside (that's a criminal offence, however they do it as a norm). 

Secondly the big lorries that have no regards whatsoever about the rest of participants in traffic. Their logic is "Get out of my way !" If something goes wrong, they blame the faulty brakes (how convinient). 

Finally the motorbikes that are ridden with flip flops and without helmets, where some of them are clueless about their surroundings taking U-turns!

>

•  

Video: "U-turn of Death" temporarily closed as woman motorcyclist said she didn't know the way

A U-turn in Nan in Thailand's north that has been dubbed the "U-turn of Death" has been temporarily closed following a series of fatal accidents and injuries. 

In the latest accident on Thursday a female motorcyclist casually pulled across oncoming traffic to use the U-turn causing a pick-up to swerve and collide with many parked vehicles severely injuring the driver.

Sanook reported that Muang Nan police had traced a 23 year old hill tribe woman who told Capt Jirat Janwang that she didn't know the way and had never been there before. 

public flogging plz

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

larger concrete-filled orange blocks

they seem to be the water filled type, but more than likely with no water, u turns and minibuses the cause of many deaths in Thailand

11 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I may be missing something here, but the intersection does not appear closed in the video., The barrier only goes halfway with warning signs about going straight. yet, there are cars travelling on both sides of the barriers, there is a pass on both sides arrow at the beginning, and to cap it all there is a moron on a bike ignoring everything, coming from the left across traffic, then cutting in front of the barrier and doing a u turn !!!!!!.

That video was taken from the 'side' road, before closing of the gap between the main roads.

In the other video, that one with the fatal end, the driver came from that side road

trying to take a ---wide--- U turn and getting hit by a little truck.

Aerial view:

1419063773_nanuturnclosed.jpg.345f4c6aeb7e758b1e47b4f8f226bfa7.jpg

2017 vs 03/2019

934824837_nanuturn.jpg.a2bb8d26f4763934513be1707043c800.jpg

U turns are a cheap and nasty solution, where the proper answer is a flyover/tunnel, roundabout or a traffic light controlled junction with proper sensors to manage the flow. No other country allows people in a fast lane to turn into another fast lane without expecting disasters. Especially with pickups with poor turning radii and slow acceleration controlled by unskilled drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived