Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 July 2019 20:12
Nyezhov

Koh Chang Be the Place!

Recommended Posts

Informative and intetesting, thanks for taking the time to post it. I am sure many people considering visiting the island will find this useful.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Informative and intetesting, thanks for taking the time to post it. I am sure many people considering visiting the island will find this useful.

its a nice place. Im sure that during high season its a madhouse but I think I will aim for October to March. My Visa is up at the end of january and I can then go from there to Cambo and get another visa.

 

For someone like me, mostly a daytime guy, it looks cool. Lots of things to photograph and do. For example fishing trips are 1500 a full day, and I know once I get settled in I can get a better rate.

 

Im going to try to go down there again before I book out of here. Need to check more logistics. And figure out the car thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go there up until about 8 years ago. I knew the place well enough to know where the undercover cop lived who coordinated the drug busts. From time to time they would do a sweep of mainly foreigners - and they were not just busting them for weed.

 

That road on the developed side of the island was indeed a nightmare to ride on a motorbike, which was another reason for giving up going there. And there seemed to be a lot of tension between folks who owned businesses there. After some friends I knew there moved on, I stopped putting it on my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting post a few observations from previous trips there... is there not a market of vendors sets up every night near the center of town along the road selling bbq, dishes, shakes etc?  it was there a couple years ago when i was last there?

 

also I spoke with a guy who lived there for a number of years and he said someone dies on the roads every day... be very careful i can tell you from personal observation it is not just the traffic, hairpins etc. but in many spots i have noticed there is little or no gravel mix in the asphalt which will make it like a skating rink when wet or very hot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

interesting post a few observations from previous trips there... is there not a market of vendors sets up every night near the center of town along the road selling bbq, dishes, shakes etc?  it was there a couple years ago when i was last there?

 

also I spoke with a guy who lived there for a number of years and he said someone dies on the roads every day... be very careful i can tell you from personal observation it is not just the traffic, hairpins etc. but in many spots i have noticed there is little or no gravel mix in the asphalt which will make it like a skating rink when wet or very hot...

Dude Im not riding a bike there. Period. The roads are nasty.

 

The "Night Market" in White Sand is just a few carts selling snacks. Don't know about the other places, I did see markets on the side of the road in the Thai areas (near Khlong Prong.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Dude Im not riding a bike there. Period. The roads are nasty.

 

The "Night Market" in White Sand is just a few carts selling snacks. Don't know about the other places, I did see markets on the side of the road in the Thai areas (near Khlong Prong.

 

 

I think koh chang would be great for a month or two but i am not sure about longer term particularly to be avoided in the rainy season as koh chang is the rainiest spot in thailand at that time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I think koh chang would be great for a month or two but i am not sure about longer term particularly to be avoided in the rainy season as koh chang is the rainiest spot in thailand at that time...

Thats why October to February. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its Klong Prao beach. Yes its mostly families, hence why we stayed there. Lots of affordable Thai food and there are Thai markets for fruit and the such. A nice variety of beach barbecues at night as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a Fun read!

 

...Was just looking at Trat and island possibilities and 93$ one way flights from Bangkok no advance needed...

 

How's the public transport on that island? Any buses or songtaew?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Happystance said:

How's the public transport on that island? Any buses or songtaew?

 

To retiterate my post above

 

4 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Anyway, I spent the next few days cruising around. The means are: rent a Scooter. Rent a Car. Take the Taxis, which are the ubiquitous pickups. Taxi rates during the day are fixed. 150 baht from White Sands to the main diving Pier at Bang Bao. Its about 35 minutes in nasty conditions. At night, from Beach to beach (say after 8ish) you are probably going to get hosed hard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An entertaining read. I'll let the "superhuman analysis" bit pass, as I know you only put it in there in an attempt to extract my urine.

Smart move to resist the temptation of a scooter. Where were the bar ladies mostly from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

one of the rare entertaining and informative postings... thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...