Koh Chang Be the Place!

Nyezhov

I loved the read. I had a couple of friends visiting from Canada last week. They wanted to head to Ko Chang. I told them I had read it was very rural and quiet,  but beautiful. I stressed rural as in not much action, but they were still keen to go. We headed for a day trip to Ko Lan from Pattaya. On the ferry over the boys were befriended by a 50 (or so) year old Russian Lady. The boys told her they were headed to Ko Chang as part of their Thailand trip. The Russian lady told them that Ko Chang was beautiful but, way, way, to quiet for her. The next day they canceled Ko Chang and booked a trip to Krabi. Everything I have read says Ko Chang is beautiful, above average in price, and quiet, so bring your own entertainment. Thanks for your report. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. :thumbsup:

Good write up!  Last time I was on Koh Chang was in 2007 and it had really changed a lot from when I first went there in 1993.  I can only imagine what it is like now.  I used to go there quite often when I was working in Bangkok during the 90's.  

8 hours ago, Ulic said:

Everything I have read says Ko Chang is beautiful, above average in price, and quiet, so bring your own entertainment.

I think it is almost perfectly balanced, and will be fabulous if...and if:

1. I can get the right pad. The key is to have that ocean close enough to see and hear. Im thinking I dont even care if its rocky, wading shoes work for the quick dips.

2. I can find the right car and a place to keep it when I leave. No car, no go.

3. I can learn how to drive there LOL

I think it would be very unpricey for me. I live very simply and basically just wander around and stare at sh*t, maybe take a picture... I have trouble finding things to spend money on. Like there are days when I am just lazy, open up all the windows in the crib here (on the 15th floor overlooking Thonburi/BKK), take a dip in the pool, read a book on the balcony, so can you imagine what a fat repulsive white skinned slug I will be at a beach? My Heavens.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 7:19 AM, tlandtday said:

I think koh chang would be great for a month or two but i am not sure about longer term particularly to be avoided in the rainy season as koh chang is the rainiest spot in thailand at that time...

Actually it isn't. But close. There is another Koh Chang that holds that distinction. 

Nice trip report.

I first visited in '98. Cookies was just two or three rows of bungalows on the beach. As soon as they started building hotels on the beach, I lost interest. 

Koh Chang was always overpriced in comparison with the other resort islands, then Thaksin had the idea to make it into a resort for the wealthy(perhaps he had some interests there).

Not sure how that turned out. I'm glad I got to enjoy it before the advent of mass tourism. Back then, everyone said hello in passing. 

A good day out is if you go to the shambala bar on chang noi beach (siam royal view resort) on a sunday after noon the local business owners organize a game of cricket on the beach. About 3-4pm ish. There's a nice bar with a pool. Scenic bay. Join in it's good fun even if you're dead shit at cricket. 

I love my beautiful view of Koh Chang from my back yard, WOW, it is the 2nd largest Island in Thailand. My family loves to shop … so the trip back to Trat is a no go for us. But, Koh Change is great for a few weeks vacation … I never get over the monkeys running around, playfully ripping off our windshield wipers, I don't miss the adult monkeys … but never get enough of their kids … and the beautiful Chinese Temple. It is a fun place

Archived