BANGKOK 21 April 2019 15:09
rooster59

Actor Jussie Smollett indicted on 16 counts of lying to Chicago police

49 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

He's well and truly screwed. 

Or will be if he receives a custodial sentence.

• Haha 1

What a moron. Unbelievably stupid stunt. On the show...his mom, dad and brother all did hard time. Looks like his TV family really had an influence. Idiot. :crazy:

• Haha 2

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

What a moron. Unbelievably stupid stunt. On the show...his mom, dad and brother all did hard time. Looks like his TV family really had an influence. Idiot. :crazy:

At first read, I thought you used another rhyming noun that would have snuggled in nicely with your description of this creature.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a case that I hope he gets maximum charges to discourage anyone else from trying this nonsense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lust said:

This is a case that I hope he gets maximum charges to discourage anyone else from trying this nonsense.

Given his background, don't bet on it.

This will be interesting. Black guys usually get harsher sentences...even the affluent ones. Remember Wesley Snipes got 3 years for 3 misdemeanor charges, while Paul Manafort only got >4 years for 8 felony charges! Hardly seems equitable. 

Jussie's definitely gonna pay some fines and prob do some time. The interesting part will be how long his sentence will be. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

That is the least convincing argument for disparity in the justice system I have seen.

Makes no difference whether you're convinced. It was one example...to inspire thought and inquiry. Here's more supporting evidence...

A 2014 University of Michigan Law School study, for instance, found that all other factors being equal, black offenders were 75 percent more likely to face a charge carrying a mandatory minimum sentence than a white offender who committed the same crime.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/black-men-sentenced-time-white-men-crime-study/story?id=51203491

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/opinion/sunday/unequal-sentences-for-blacks-and-whites.html

• Haha 1