Trivia

tgeezer

I read yesterday that กรมหลวงชุมพรเขตอุดมศักดิ์ the ‘Father of the Navy’, was responsible for the removal of ข ขวด and ค คน from the system in 2422 because typewriters came to Thailand and the keyboard could not accommodate them.

There is a memorial to him on the hill South of Pattaya beach among other places, so a conversation starter for Pattaya dwellers.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There's something not right about that.  The date 2422 BE (1878 CE) is too early.  The first typewriter came to Thailand in 1891/2 CE.  And the person responsible for the two missing keys was Edwin Mcfarland or his son Edwin Hunter.

http://www.t-h-a-i-l-a-n-d.org/smithpremier/smithpremierorigin.html

https://www.nectec.or.th/it-standards/keyboard_layout/thai-key.html

I think that probably more than just the dates! It was in a coffee shop where I read it so couldn't take the book. I can't see why he would be involved at all I shall research some more.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

He wasn’t born in 2422! He went to school in England at the age of 11 when your link shows that the Thai typewriter was being made.
So the only factual parts of my post are, that he is the Father of the Thai Navy, there is a monument to him in Pattaya and that the lack of space on the typewriter was the reason that two letters were dropped.
Not a bad haul for a few minutes with an espresso.
Thanks for correcting me, it would have been awful if someone related that story to their impressionable honey on a romantic visit up the hill to see the sunset!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Archived