Easiest place to open a bank account in Hua Hin?

bermondburi

I'm on visa exempt, no work permit, no yellow book. Just want a savings account. Visit every couple of months or so. I could get a one year multi entry non-0 in the future if needed. Prefer not to though as it means travelling to get it. 

So any suggestions about easy banks, or branches, fairly recently around Hua Hin area?

As stated over and over again, it is a question of patience and perseverance; you may get lucky and find that the first bank at which you apply obliges you, or you may find you have to ask for someone senior to state your case, or go to one or more other banks or branches before you are successful; there is no guarantee, and no one brand is better than another really, but if you are polite, and look and behave as a prosperous person likely to benefit the bank, you will eventually find yourself the holder of a magnificent savings account, earning perhaps 0.25% p.a. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried to open a joint account at Blueport TMB. He babbled through an interpreter must have work permit but I'm  retired then something about 9 somethings, gave up. We have an account at BKK bank HO  but the debit card is worn out and Hua Hin branch say can only renew in a bank branch in Bangkok. Tried at K bank same again, must have work permit, again gave up. We are in Bangkok next week so I'll  give BKK bank some grief for this silly situation.

I notice that some people have opened accounts with Visa waiver on TV. I come and go to Thailand on various types of visas depending on the length of stay, and use the wife's sisters address at the bank.

Anyone have an answer to opening an account in Hua Hin?

22 minutes ago, windas said:

I recently tried to open a joint account at Blueport TMB. He babbled through an interpreter must have work permit but I'm  retired then something about 9 somethings, gave up. We have an account at BKK bank HO  but the debit card is worn out and Hua Hin branch say can only renew in a bank branch in Bangkok. Tried at K bank same again, must have work permit, again gave up. We are in Bangkok next week so I'll  give BKK bank some grief for this silly situation.

I notice that some people have opened accounts with Visa waiver on TV. I come and go to Thailand on various types of visas depending on the length of stay, and use the wife's sisters address at the bank.

Anyone have an answer to opening an account in Hua Hin?

No advice specific to Hua Hin I'm afraid. However, people have success opening accounts with Bangkok Bank. It always helps if you can take someone with you who is an account holder. Even better if that person is a Government employee of some sort. Banks like to sell insurance products so you could ask them about their accident insurance policies at the same time (might cost you 3,000 baht). You could tell the bank that you have sold your house at home and need a Thai bank account into which to deposit the proceeds. If all else fails, visa agents offer bank account opening amongst their range of services. 

my experience opening account in phuket on tourist visa: siam bank no chance- bangkok bank in 20min done with one condition: i need buy insurance for few thousand thb..... i suggested start from any of bangkok bank branch .... 

Bangkok bank next door to Market Village. My friend got an account there recently. He was living in a local hotel and on a tourist visa. No problem! It all depends on the branch and the person you happen to get on that day!.

1 hour ago, vinniekintana said:

Even with a retirement visa I had to struggle today to get a TMB acct

My missus was with me (long-term customer w/a big acct balance) helped to lubricate the wheels.????

Unbelievable!!!  WHY does it have to be this hard.  Is this country that full of S*#T??  Nobody has been able to explain the inconsistency.  I guess someone should relocate the sign that hangs over the IO "do not give tips". and place it on the front door of every bank when you want them to provide the basic services. Stupid country.

On 3/10/2019 at 2:50 PM, bermondburi said:

So any suggestions about easy banks, or branches, fairly recently around Hua Hin area?

Sorry i just saw this topic. Bangkok Bank. Select #2 at the ticket machine. Sit in front of the desks on the right. don't go to the tellers. 

the two ladies here speak English and are very nice. Please dress like you are going to a business meeting, (because you are) no shorts, tee shirts or open shoes. And this is what you say: "I want to deposit a million baht into a saving account. Can you help me open one?"

this is where you want to go:

https://goo.gl/maps/PBnni8LNzEE2

16 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Unbelievable!!!  WHY does it have to be this hard.  Is this country that full of S*#T??  Nobody has been able to explain the inconsistency.  I guess someone should relocate the sign that hangs over the IO "do not give tips". and place it on the front door of every bank when you want them to provide the basic services. Stupid country.

because there are no anti discrimination laws and Thais can decide not to service you on the spot. 

They don't speak English and you don't speak Thai.

You dress too casually and they don't like the way you look. You should dress like you are going to a important business meeting.

Many Expats actually start telling Thais how to do their job and how in their country this would never happen, or began to express an emotional response. Anger, impatience. So Thais just will not put up with it. 

Don't go to mall bank branches. Find the largest branch you can.     

Archived