Latest Update On Retirement Visa

eljuwa

I have followed discussions on this topic in the Thai Visa Forum.

My situation in summary

Lived in Thailand since January 2010

No problems when American Embassy/Consulate provided Income verification affidavit.

I have over 65,000 baht monthly income with all pertinent support documentation. All monthly income goes into Citibank (all bank statements/Social Security statements/pension statements available). I showed all aforementioned documentation to Chiang Mai Immigration. Since I transferred only what I needed every month...from 40,000 baht to 55,000 baht from Citibank to Bangkok Bank, Chiang Mai Immigration did not accept my case.

Because I did not physically transfer at least 65,000 baht monthly, Chiang Mai Immigration did not allow my retirement visa extension on 6 February 2019. Chiang Mai Immigration says that I need 65,000 baht, consecutive 12 month deposit transfer proof with a Thai bank. I stated to Chiang Mai Immigration...how can I transfer 65,000 baht for a 12 month previous/historical consecutive instalments when the US Embassy stopped income verification only on 1 January 2019. I can not do anything..retroactively. I do not have an 800,000 baht deposit either. Previously I qualified on the 65,000 baht monthly requirement.

I sent letters outlining all of this to the US Embassy, Bangkok and American Consulate, Chiang Mai. No response as yet.

Hopefully, the Chiang Mai Forum members may be able to give me their opinion on this matter.

Thank you

James

You can't do anything retroactively but you can do either one of two things.

1.  deposit 800k for the next 2 months and get the visa again.

2.  transfer 65k for the next 12 months before applying for the visa.

In the meantime, go and apply for a one year education visa.

If you don't have that much money, it's time to look at other destinations. 

You made the mistake of not getting the income affidavit before 1 Jan which is valid for 6 months.

15 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you an agent for an agent?

Why do so many people make references implying you must use an agent?

I wonder whether agents go through the back door like they do in many other cases in the past..... 

Yes this is a big change to the requirement since many of our much beloved embassies won't validate income affidavits any more. Now, you must transfer the 65k income into Thailand whether you want to or not, Before you could leave some money in your home country. Thai banks must be laughing all the way to the ..... Meanwhile as a sub-plot the baht has curiously appreciated around 10% to many currencies.

33 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I wonder whether agents go through the back door like they do in many other cases in the past..... 

This ad is at the top of the page today so probably.  

I haven't checked with the pattaya agents yet, will update when i have some info' and prices. 

1442196809_ScreenShot2019-03-10at17_53_14.png.58fb08dca4f72443b57b0cf16b0bdfdf.png

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

Are you an agent for an agent?

Why do so many people make references implying you must use an agent?

No Scottie I am not an agent.

It was a suggestion because it appears he has no other option.

But typical attack others, as you seem to have absolutely no suggestion to help the fella out of his predicament.....

30 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

No Scottie I am not an agent.

It was a suggestion because it appears he has no other option.

But typical attack others, as you seem to have absolutely no suggestion to help the fella out of his predicament.....

Fly home and get an O-A and come back.

If I knew that Thai Immigration was intending to give me any problems over my income, I would have got the income letter before 31 December. Hindsight is the best when you are already in the hole.

As for going back to America..not for this purpose.

I have other American friends who are doing just that..

No. I do not want to borrow, beg nor steal 800,000 baht for a Thai Retirement visa.

The Chiang Mai Forum has not told me anything new. But, thanks for your sage advice

Sorry to say, but I think you misinterpreted the new rules. The only proof of income Immigration will consider in your case is evidence of 65k into a Thai bank account. If you had started making those transfers in January, you would have been able to show three months, which according to what has been explained by Immigration, would probably satisfy the requirement during the interim year after the new regs were published. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but hasn't the rule been that you have to show at least 65,000 baht a month income? 

The changes to the requirements, apropos the future inability to have a consulate or embassy verify your income documents, has been transparent and announced in advance. 

I'm just wondering that given this, and given that you have the necessary 65K baht pension income, why you goofed around with the amount and only sent what you "needed" every month. In fact, you said that it could be 55K baht a month, which is only 10K below the minimum. I can't figure out why you were not sending the full 65K baht over, particularly knowing that you would not in future be able to send less and still be granted a retirement visa. 

I've been doing visas and extensions in various countries for the past 34 years and have never taken my eye off the ball. 

You wrote to the US Embassy, Bangkok and American Consulates, and the Chiang Mai office expecting help of some sort. What do you think they can say? You didn't follow the regulations. It's a pity. Now you will have to start all over from scratch. Sounds like you need to make that trip home after all. 

"BTW - I used an agent to get my 12 month Vietnam Business Visa.  All I had to do was scan a copy of my passport and fill out a brief one page questionnaire.  Easy peezy lemon squeezy."

What incredibly useless information.  Who cares what you did or how much you paid  in VN?  When we read these posts we all want information on THAILAND Immigration.

3 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

BTW - I used an agent to get my 12 month Vietnam Business Visa.  All I had to do was scan a copy of my passport and fill out a brief one page questionnaire.  Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

" Oh stewardess....I speak jive. "

How much? And what agent did you use?

3 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

I was told by my agent that this year only, because of the implementation of the new requirements, one would be able to get by with 3 consecutive months of deposits before renewing, then next year it is 12 months.  But that was a couple of months ago - the rules must have changed.

BTW - I used an agent to get my 12 month Vietnam Business Visa.  All I had to do was scan a copy of my passport and fill out a brief one page questionnaire.  Easy peezy lemon squeezy.

" Oh stewardess....I speak jive. "

DonDoRondo

Is it possible for me to contact your agent. I will settle for showing 3 consecutive months of deposit.

I hope that Thai Visa Forum allows me to get this information from you

Thanks

I was responding to DonDoRondo on his suggestion

I do not know the rules of Thai Forum

But I wish to contact DonDoRondo's agent.

Show 3 consecutive months of deposit into my Thai account..if the rules have not changed.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, eljuwa said:

I was responding to DonDoRondo on his suggestion

I do not know the rules of Thai Forum

But I wish to contact DonDoRondo's agent.

Show 3 consecutive months of deposit into my Thai account..if the rules have not changed.

I believe that is for existing visa extension but since your retirement visa have already expired in Feb, you have to apply for a new O visa first. You can't use back the old visa.

Does anybody agree with me?

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I believe that is for existing visa extension but since your retirement visa have already expired in Feb, you have to apply for a new O visa first. You can't use back the old visa.

Does anybody agree with me?

Yes - Once an extension of stay/visa has expired it is necessary to restart the process with a NEW 'O' visa. NB there is no such thing as a "retirement visa" 

6 hours ago, Isaan Alan said:

Before you could leave some money in your home country.

Where did it ever state that in the rules.

That is your assumption because you previously obtained an Embassy letter and no proof of transferred income was ever requested.

From the amended order.

Except in the case where the applicant's retirement is less than 1 year, the evidence must be from the month of retirement. For example, the retirement is started in October 2018, the applicant must show pension payment evidence of the whole twelve months from November 2018.

In other words, unless it's your very first retirement application, you are required to show evidence of 65K per month transferred to a Thai bank account from the month following your last extension

4 hours ago, KarlS said:

Yes - Once an extension of stay/visa has expired it is necessary to restart the process with a NEW 'O' visa. NB there is no such thing as a "retirement visa" 

ok, so what should he base the request of this NEW 'O' visa on?

He already stated he cant show the 800k in the bank, so its doubtfull he would qualify on grounds of marriage or having a dependant.

So what is your suggestion for this magical O visa you suggest?

Its one thing these smart Alecs always sprouting  "theres no such thing as a retirement visa"..

(umm- yes, we all know by now, its a NON-O based on retirement..thanks)

So, instead of trying to confuse and worry people over what is just a simplification of wording, why not offer the guy something usefull as to what his alternative grounds for getting a "New 'O' visa are?

2 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

ok, so what should he base the request of this NEW 'O' visa on?

He already stated he cant show the 800k in the bank, so its doubtfull he would qualify on grounds of marriage or having a dependant.

So what is your suggestion for this magical O visa you suggest?

Its one thing these smart Alecs always sprouting  "theres no such thing as a retirement visa"..

(umm- yes, we all know by now, its a NON-O based on retirement..thanks)

So, instead of trying to confuse and worry people over what is just a simplification of wording, why not offer the guy something usefull as to what his alternative grounds for getting a "New 'O' visa are?

I was responding to EricTh but clearly, if someone cannot meet the requirements for an O visa the visa will not be issued. 

Having said that I have no interest in discussing this matter with a rude, ignorant person. Welcome to my ignore list

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sounds like you have no other choice then an agent then do it yourself next year.

The agent applications for people who don't qualify are based on (fictive) money in the bank. When he goes back next year to do it himself, Immigration will check that he had the 800k in the bank for three months after the application and 400k after that. How do you suggest that he explains his inability to show this (or that he ever had 800k in the bank)?

With the new rules, once you use an agent for a fraudulent application you are pretty much locked into continuing to use an agent for all future applications. The only way out would be to break your string of extensions and start over with a new Non O visa (and hope that immigration never take a look at your previous agent aided application).

Sophon

Archived