Does your Thai wife support your long-term stay in Thailand to support your family?

connda

What does your Thai wife think about the Thai government’s policies on allowing you to remain in the country in order to support her and her family, including children that you may have had together, or step-children whom you have not adopted but treat like your own children?

I’d say that my own wife is pro-government. In her opinion, most farangs are all potentially bad and must be monitored. Interesting in that the Machiavellian policy that directly effect me also directly effect my wife, my step kids, and my extended family – financially and otherwise.

One of the things that bothers me is that Thai immigration policy is not only xenophobic, but it’s also sexist. The immigration rules for foreign women marrying Thai men are complete different than those rules government imposes on you and I who support Thai wives. We are naught but glorified tourists able to stay in Thailand year to year base on our finances. If an emergney hits – well – we can be kicked out of the country, if not jailed, and permanently separated from our families, our homes we have built, and the assets we have accrued. However, a foreign women married to a Thai man can obtain citizenship after three years of marriage (one year if pregnant). The foreign women has the built-in continuaty to remain in Thailand with their families come what may; foreign men can be kicked out and separated from their families on the whim of the state – and it seem that year to year the Thai government is dead-set on separating foreign men from their families.

Now, if I bring that up with my wife, she said, “Write to your government and have them talk to Thai government.”
What she said is basically is that it’s the US government who will need to intervene in order to change the Thai government’s view on foreign men married to Thai women. Ok?

Is that how your wife feels? I would think that those women and family member who are being supported by you would be petitioning the Thai government to make your stay in Thailand more like other developed and developing countries who have at least a path to permanent residency of those supporting families in their countries.

So – how does your wife stand on this issue? Does she support you supporting your family, or does she support government policy even if it possibly is detrimental to her and your Thai family's future?

Thais are not noted for their long-term thinking and the women, especially are certainly fatalistic about being able to influence the government.  If you get kicked out maybe she imagines you will send her regular money or maybe it's just c'est la vie (however you say that in Thai). Some even think it might make it easier for their part-time Thai boyfrend without you around. Not a lot of loyalty as a generalisation. Of course, there are some gems.

8 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

But the enforcement and duration of the required funds remaining in a Thai bank have

Not for an extension of stay based upon marriage. The changes are only for extensions based upon retirement.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not for an extension of stay based upon marriage. The changes are only for extensions based upon retirement.

Apologies for my misunderstanding that. However they will enforce that the 40k income is transferred into a Thai bank every month instead of just a now unavailable affadavit for some nationalities or just a proof of a 40k regualr income not necessarily transferred into a Thai bank

We don't pay attention to things that will drive you mad. Im not too worried, I dont have any real issues with immigration. I am American an just renewed retirement visa, incomed verified with bank letter, bankstatements, and bankbook. My wife always comes with me...she likes to shop for clothes at the main immigration.

3 minutes ago, Isaan Alan said:

Apologies for my misunderstanding that. However they will enforce that the 40k income is transferred into a Thai bank every month instead of just a now unavailable affadavit for some nationalities or just a proof of a 40k regualr income not necessarily transferred into a Thai bank

If you cannot get proof of income from your embassy you have to transfer at least 40k baht into a Thai bank.

My wife hates the Government. She hates the fact that I am here on extensions and there is nothing permanent about it. She knows little can be done about it but when it comes to extension time and she gets all the paperwork ready and we pay the agents, she just sighs and shakes her head. She sees the thousands of dollars I burn every year on health insurance when she says there should be something better for us. She tells me there should be an easier path but there is not to PR.

We are coming to an election where little will change and the likelihood of us husbands ever having a say in anything is zero. We had dinner about a week ago with some friends one night and a few of the guys got drunk. I don't drink and the wives had to come in and stop them from drinking further and when we got home, the wife told me this is the stereotype farang that most Thai girls get told about and that we need to be careful of our actions because other people are watching and that is how a lot of this started. I fear the government sees this stereotyping. With how the Immigration policy has changed lately, nothing is safe and they only want minted people here. My wife is working right now, late Sunday evening so we can earn some extra money for the month. That is just how it is for us.

At the least, my wife is against the Thai policy and would like to see change.

OP writes, "What does your Thai wife think about the Thai government’s policies on allowing you to remain in the country in order to support her and her family, including children that you may have had together, or step-children whom you have not adopted but treat like your own children"

Since the Thai government allows it as opposed to other countries in the area that don't allow marriage my wife thinks it's fine.  Why are you asking now?  No change to marriage extension rules is there? 

"a foreign women married to a Thai man can obtain citizenship after three years of marriage (one year if pregnant). The foreign women has the built-in continuaty to remain in Thailand with their families come what may; "

Where are you getting that from?

AFAIK the rules for citizenship are the same for both foreign men and women. And I definitely know it is not easy for a foreign woman to get. With the result that few do.

Where foreign women married tot a Thai do have an advantage is that there is no financial requirement for them to get yearly extensions of stay. They just need to show the marriage proofs (inc pictures, home visits etc).Tthey do, however, still have to do annual extensions and 90 day reports and certainly can and will be deported in found on overstay.

1 hour ago, connda said:

What does your Thai wife think about the Thai government’s policies on allowing you to remain in the country in order to support her and her family, including children that you may have had together, or step-children whom you have not adopted but treat like your own children?

Another silly western view thread, my wife doesn't mind, nor do I the Thai immigration has to do something about the illegal overstay scumbags and illegal marriage & retirement extensions.

I put step son through uni and he has a good job and sends his ma money each month my adopted daughter helps with our household bills when she don't need to.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Another silly western view thread, my wife doesn't mind, nor do I the Thai immigration has to do something about the illegal overstay scumbags and illegal marriage & retirement extensions.

You would not like an easier path to PR to say after spending 10 years here married to the wife?

5 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

You would not like an easier path to PR to say after spending 10 years here married to the wife?

Well for me it's 18 years and of course I would like some sort of grandfathering but it's not gonna happen is it.

I wouldn't surprised if they made the marriage extension harder Thai Gov don't a monkeys about what happens to their people. 

"...it’s the US government who will need to intervene in order to change the Thai government’s view on foreign men married to Thai women. Ok?"

Dude, that is never ever going to happen. US (or any government) is not going to spend it's political capital on issue that impacts so few citizens.

Yes, it is sexist. This is a sexist culture. Just resign yourself to living in a culture that is more similar to USA in 1940s-50s in many ways than more "woke" Western cultures

4PpOK is a bit thick 

First we have to have incomE as it is the man who is responsible for support and income.  That is life 

Besides with the record that Thai husbands have any woman that marries  one deserves a break 

15 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

My wife hates the Government. She hates the fact that I am here on extensions and there is nothing permanent about it. She knows little can be done about it but when it comes to extension time and she gets all the paperwork ready and we pay the agents, she just sighs and shakes her head. She sees the thousands of dollars I burn every year on health insurance when she says there should be something better for us. She tells me there should be an easier path but there is not to PR.

We are coming to an election where little will change and the likelihood of us husbands ever having a say in anything is zero. We had dinner about a week ago with some friends one night and a few of the guys got drunk. I don't drink and the wives had to come in and stop them from drinking further and when we got home, the wife told me this is the stereotype farang that most Thai girls get told about and that we need to be careful of our actions because other people are watching and that is how a lot of this started. I fear the government sees this stereotyping. With how the Immigration policy has changed lately, nothing is safe and they only want minted people here. My wife is working right now, late Sunday evening so we can earn some extra money for the month. That is just how it is for us.

At the least, my wife is against the Thai policy and would like to see change.

Identical with my current situation. My wife cant stand Thailand. Our little family unit is burdened with ridiculous costs to maintain our family unit and she also works to support such. We all wish to leave but the Thais have been bleeding us dry for too long and we cant afford to up and leave yet still we are apparently the lucky ones?

What kind of foreign women wants to marry a typically drunk, uneducated small BRAIN, ego driven, child? All foreign women i know are sickened by the site of thai guys. Its thailand though so blame the white man!

My wife is absolutely disgusted with the govs policies and gladly makes a seen everytime she gets an opportunity to speak up.

Thais have been bs-ing themselves for so long. Im a white guy who doesnt drink, never had to pay for sex with women or other as is the steretypes go here of the white man. Its completely offensive but at least I have a bigger everything so whatever...

My wife doesn't concern herself with politics. It was difficult, nay impossible, for me to explain the nuances of what the changes in visa extensions mean to us. Having said that, they actually don't mean very much at all.

The only thing that concerns either of us is that I tend to withdraw the monthly allowance on a specific date, rather than when I need it, it goes into my account at least 24 hours later rather than instantly, and I get a slightly poorer exchange rate coupled with a few hundred baht bank charges. It's all about the money.

We both sleep soundly.

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I put step son through uni and he has a good job and sends his ma money each month my adopted daughter helps with our household bills when she don't need to.

I didn't know that Donald Trump was posting on this forum... 

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

hai immigration has to do something about the illegal overstay scumbags and illegal marriage & retirement extensions.

I couldn't give a flying whatever about what others do or don't do and neither could my wife.

15 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

It's not an option,therefore it's not an option. Don't sweat the petty things.

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well for me it's 18 years and of course I would like some sort of grandfathering but it's not gonna happen is it.

I wouldn't surprised if they made the marriage extension harder Thai Gov don't a monkeys about what happens to their people. 

They don't give a monkeys about what happens to anyone but themselves, but can the same not be said for most, if not all, governments in the world?

Archived