DTAC Happy prepaid card not receiving SMS outside Thailand

gabrielben

Hi, I bought this SIM card 2-3 months ago, and now I'm in Japan and I can't get signal/roaming to receive an SMS message with a verification code sent by the Line App, I just top-up 100 baht to see if I get some life signal but it doesn't work. Should I top up more? On DTAC website seems that they have a roaming package that cost 299THB/day (http://www.dtac.co.th/en/prepaid/services/roaming/package/unlimited.html) and need to be activated by calling this number *104*761*9#, but since I don't have signal I can't call it.
Did somebody face the same issue? Or have an idea how can I proceed to receive that SMS on my Thai number? Thanks

47 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

If you are using iPhone, alternative way to receive Thai SMS is available through wifi. You will need to follow the instructions in the link to setup wifi-calling first to receive SMS via wifi.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/network/wifi-calling.html

If I remember correct, you need be able to receive SMS for activating this service!

@OP: have you activated roaming on this SIM before you left Thailand? Without this it will not work outside. I am not sure about the Happy DTAC, but normally when roaming is activated you are able to receive SMS. One other question? Your mobile is able to work in the Japanese network?

13 hours ago, HampiK said:

If I remember correct, you need be able to receive SMS for activating this service!

@OP: have you activated roaming on this SIM before you left Thailand? Without this it will not work outside. I am not sure about the Happy DTAC, but normally when roaming is activated you are able to receive SMS. One other question? Your mobile is able to work in the Japanese network?

No I have never tried to use it outside Japan, and it seems that I can't use the Japanese network, I have no signal at all. I'm wondering if I top up more the roaming will be available, but I don't want to waste money since I'm not sure if this will work.
PS: I have an android phone

10 hours ago, gabrielben said:

No I have never tried to use it outside Japan, and it seems that I can't use the Japanese network, I have no signal at all. I'm wondering if I top up more the roaming will be available, but I don't want to waste money since I'm not sure if this will work.
PS: I have an android phone

You have to check the supported frequencies of your mobile and compare them with the ones used in japan.
I am not sure, but I was thinking to remember that Japan use some special frequencies. If you are sure that your mobile is able to work in japan, then you can check with DTAC to activate roaming. I think this should be possible.

Archived