New Beer in Town

There’s a new beer in my local 7/11 (Bang Saray), it’s called Kopper Craft Beer,

58 Baht for a 490cl can.

Apart from the label, all the other writing is in Thai, so I don’t know who is

manufacturing this product …

2056529355_Kopperbeer.thumb.JPG.675e6360539b8bc48cf9411a1510d0b9.JPG

I gave it a try a few days ago and have been drinking it regularly all week.

Normally I am not a fan of rice-based beers (Beer Lao etc.) but this one has

a nice body and flavour.

I would best describe it as an American style craft IPA taste. It’s just 4.5%

but tastes stronger (IMHO).

I am very much in favour of having more choice of moderately priced beers

here, so I hope this one stays around and there are more to come.

Anyone else tried it? What do you think?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually been around for about 2 years or so, originally branded as Est 33 (I think). Singha's attempt at capturing the craft market.... which failed (as did Chang's). By coincidence, shortly afterwards, fines and jail time both went up for those illegally making the decent Thai craft beers. You can't get legal unless you are brewing 10k litres per month if I remember correctly.

Singha are now launching another lager named "My", after they coolly received "U" beer. Their marketing department needs to be fired if you ask me.... mind you, so do their brewers.

Nice, I'll give it a try...

I also think Singha did quite a good job on the Snowy Weizen... pretty good taste and something different then all the regular beers. And of course at 55 THB for a big can (also 12 packs available at Makro now) not as crazy priced as Hoegaarden or any of the German imported Weizen beers.

images (9).jpeg

16 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Apart from the label, all the other writing is in Thai, so I don’t know who is

manufacturing this product

Pick a member of the alcohol monopoly and you can't go wrong.

Only available in cans too. I tried one the other night, but I had already downed a high volume of Leo, so I'll try it again as the first beer tonight and see if it tastes any better. I am definitely in favor of more selection; the Thai beer industry is about as stagnant  unsteady as the march to democracy here.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I do try other drinks in 7-11 from time to time when I see a new one, Tappers is OK, don't like the rice typ3 beer drinks drinks or wine.

I like my Chang.

Chang classic is also brewed with rice.

3 hours ago, connda said:

Pick a member of the alcohol monopoly and you can't go wrong.

Correct, as confirmed by Damrongsak ...

16 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Boon Rawd Brewery - same as Singha.

https://www.ratebeer.com/brewers/boon-rawd-brewery/178/

It would be great if the smaller brewers would be allowed to compete.

In the meantime, at least we do see the occasional "new" beer in the 7/11.

I even tried the orange flavoured Cheers a couple of times. But once was one too many of the strawberry flavour they brought out for Valentine's.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

Im just a Beer Lao guy first, Chang second and I am easy. The dude who brews up in Koh Kret (Chit Beer) and Chaeng Wattana Turtle) does make a good beer though

Most people I know enjoy the Beer Lao, but it's not to my taste at all. But the I never understand why some people disike Guinness. Horses for courses I guess.

How about these other beers you mentioned. Are they available in shops, or just on the premises where they're brewed?

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Most people I know enjoy the Beer Lao, but it's not to my taste at all. But the I never understand why some people disike Guinness. Horses for courses I guess.

How about these other beers you mentioned. Are they available in shops, or just on the premises where they're brewed?

No ya got to go on premises to drink the stuff. They usually have 6 or 7 different craft beers. Chit Beer is only open weekends till about 9 when the last ferry leaves off Koh Khret, make a left off the ferry 300 meters or so, you drink on the river, very cool place.  

Speaking of Brewskis, I know that one of you Euro beer swillers will know where one can swill a real Belgian fruit Lambic, and I am not in the mood to hunt for a place down in the Falang Cesspit of Depravity. 

32 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Be a man and drink this. As if an angel.........

With 10.5 % alcohol wonder why Bavaria called it 8.6.

My faint memory (from drinking this) tells me it was 8.6% vol at the beginning.

If you like that, this isn't a bad alternative. I tried one the other day, and thought the taste was pretty good, not overly bitter or sweet, clean mouth feel and a pleasant taste. And quite a kick.  I think I originally bought it at the Central Food Hall in CentralWorld. Somewhere in the 120-130b range, if memory serves.

357104462_2019-03-0718_37_31.jpg.27b392ac755794f95b807f9749775b10.jpg   

1008713317_2019-03-0718_38_23.jpg.5f29d0ded04d82a6d3fc865e889713d2.jpg

52 minutes ago, hugocnx said:

Be a man and drink this. As if an angel.........

With 10.5 % alcohol wonder why Bavaria called it 8.6.

My faint memory (from drinking this) tells me it was 8.6% vol at the beginning.

I've never really enjoyed those very strong beers, but I do like to try one from time to time. If I see the 8.6 version in the shops I'll give it a go.

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If you like that, this isn't a bad alternative. I tried one the other day, and thought the taste was pretty good, not overly bitter or sweet, clean mouth feel and a pleasant taste. And quite a kick.  I think I originally bought it at the Central Food Hall in CentralWorld. Somewhere in the 120-130b range, if memory serves.

357104462_2019-03-0718_37_31.jpg.27b392ac755794f95b807f9749775b10.jpg   

1008713317_2019-03-0718_38_23.jpg.5f29d0ded04d82a6d3fc865e889713d2.jpg

Based on malted barley. Sounds promising.

Probably a bit too strong for me, but at 120-130 baht a can I'll try it.

For a daily drink I like to keep within the 45-75 baht a can range - and available at the 7/11, Family Mart, Mom & Pop shops.

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I've never really enjoyed those very strong beers, but I do like to try one from time to time. If I see the 8.6 version in the shops I'll give it a go.

Based on malted barley. Sounds promising.

Probably a bit too strong for me, but at 120-130 baht a can I'll try it.

For a daily drink I like to keep within the 45-75 baht a can range - and available at the 7/11, Family Mart, Mom & Pop shops.

I've seen it in Central Food Halls in BKK.... I don't recall seeing it sold by other retailers, at least in my travels here.

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've seen it in Central Food Halls in BKK.... I don't recall seeing it sold by other retailers, at least in my travels here.

I get into Central Pattaya about once every 2 weeks. I'll look out for it there, and in Tops.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I get into Central Pattaya about once every 2 weeks. I'll look out for it there, and in Tops.

Thanks.

I'm not a big beer drinker here in Thailand, but I do enjoy a good one every now and again, which usually means a Non-Thai made product.

After I tried the Oettinger the other day and was surprisingly pleased, I did a quick search and found almost no mentions of Oettinger beers here on ThaiVisa.  Was a bit surprised by that, considering that the brand is a fairly large and well-known one in Germany, from what I've read.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not a big beer drinker here in Thailand, but I do enjoy a good one every now and again, which usually means a Non-Thai made product.

After I tried the Oettinger the other day and was surprisingly pleased, I did a quick search and found almost no mentions of Oettinger beers here on ThaiVisa.  Was a bit surprised by that, considering that the brand is a fairly large and well-known one in Germany, from what I've read.

There is Oettinger wheat beer in my local 7/11, and others, but not the one you mentioned.

Personally, I like it, but not enough to pay that price for a daily drink (3-4 large cans each evening is my maximum daily "allowance").

20 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

No good here then.

All Singha products from that corporation are banned in our household.

As well as it's always been crap beer, but that is beside the point.

I understand and respect your boycott of that particular brand.

In the 70's and 80's my whole family supported the boycott of south african products. In the 80's and 90's we refused to buy anything with a Nestle label.

But a boycott on beer would have been a "bridge too far".

7 hours ago, Krabi King said:

Nice, I'll give it a try...

I also think Singha did quite a good job on the Snowy Weizen... pretty good taste and something different then all the regular beers. And of course at 55 THB for a big can (also 12 packs available at Makro now) not as crazy priced as Hoegaarden or any of the German imported Weizen beers.

images (9).jpeg

is not like a true weizen beer. more like a standard thai beer with added "weizen flavoring"  does not have the body or taste of a real weizen german or real craft wheat

I like the Snowy and really like Beer Laos.

Somebody was trying to tell me that ALL Thai beer was based on rice and I didnt believe them , but unlike lots of verbose TV experts ,  I shut up , because I simply dont know.

Whats the answer ?

Archived