BANGKOK
Satcommlee

DNA testing for ancestral in Thailand

The post is nothing to do with Paternity, but just wondering if anyone had ordered one of these DNA testing kits from the West and it applied and provided info regarding South East Asia ancestry.

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

Those tests are completely bogus.  Different results for identical twins.  Different results from each testing company used.  Don't waste your money.

https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2019/01/31/ancestry-results-for-identical-twins-illustrate-flaws-in-consumer-genetic-testing/

And the company that test you will forward the results to their country's intelligence agencies. 
Honestly.  Who cares. 

• Like 2

Bah - Humbug to the naysayers.  Of course the DNA tests are a bit of fun, and the results are indicative NOT 100% conclusive.

My Thai wife's Myheritage test reported:

*  67.3% Thai & Cambodian

*  21.4% Chinese & Vietnamese

*  11.3% Filipino/Indonesian/Malaysian

*  Shared DNA matches with 48 people in 13 countries (top ones being 25 in US; 6 in Netherlands and 3 in "Great" Britain).

Certainly recommend the test provided you have a realistic approach.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, dinga said:

Certainly recommend the test provided you have a realistic approach.   

Why would you recommend something that's pure bunkum? Might as well go to a local soothsayer or some other totally meaningless quack.  Almost certainly cheaper, and every bit as reliable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Gee I thought we were all related to Atilla the Hun.

Not Adam and Eve?

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Why would you recommend something that's pure bunkum? Might as well go to a local soothsayer or some other totally meaningless quack.  Almost certainly cheaper, and every bit as reliable.

Absolute rubbish.  Suggest you do at least a little research.  

Insofar as the shared DNA - that is indeed conclusive.

26 minutes ago, dinga said:

Absolute rubbish.  Suggest you do at least a little research.  

Insofar as the shared DNA - that is indeed conclusive.

You clearly didn't bother checking the link in my first post.

Identical twins have identical DNA.  That individual companies gave different "heritages" shows that the tests are worthless.  And that fact that different companies indicated different "heritages" simply underlines that fact.

(Oh, and for what it matters, I have a Ph.D. in genetics, so I do know what I'm talking about.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oxx said:

You clearly didn't bother checking the link in my first post.

Identical twins have identical DNA.  That individual companies gave different "heritages" shows that the tests are worthless.  And that fact that different companies indicated different "heritages" simply underlines that fact.

(Oh, and for what it matters, I have a Ph.D. in genetics, so I do know what I'm talking about.)

'course I scanned the article - and it pretty well confirmed my understanding.

Pity you didn't as the article states facts that are contrary to your claims (which also challenges the PH.D claim):

* DNA of twins is NEARLY exactly the same.

* Minor variations can lead the algorithm to assign SLIGHTLY different ancestry estimates 

* the results are statistical estimates only 

For me - was a bit of fun, as I said.  If not for you, 'up to you'!

The OP was looking for comments and the experiences of folks who had actually used the tests  ie.  me.  If he'd like further comment I'd be delighted to provide.  

We have tested ourselves, my wife, who is from around Udon Thani is 50% Thai and 50% Vietnamese. My wife thought that was very funny and has no clues where the Viet connection comes from.

i'd be afraid to take the test and find out i am pocahontas 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

23&Me, wife is Southeast Asian, Chinese, Korean, Southwest Asian, and Ashkenazi Jew. Although you take these tests with a grain of salt, if you speak to family members it appears to be fairly accurate with the exception of Ashkenazi Jew and Korean.

Edited by Chimp

Wow - who would have thought that after 200,000 years human DNA shows that our heritage includes different cultures/ethnicities/countries all over the world.  It is almost like we are all related in some way - 555 (sarcasm) 

• Thanks 1