DNA testing for ancestral in Thailand

Satcommlee

I took one with LivingDNA which was the only company I could find that ships to Thailand. It was US$80 + $20 shipping I believe.  

I ordered in March - the shipping turnaround was about 3 weeks and they told me i'd get the results in August. Actually came the end of June.   I've been doing some family tree research and am back to 1800 on all branches. The LDNA results are in line with what i see on the tree.  Its hasn't  told me anything new though. 

They oversell  and underdeliver in my opinion.       Their family matching thing  hasn't delivered anything so far    The report was pretty basic, their website is thin and support is slow and poor .    I believed i'd ordered the Ancestry with Father/Motherline extra - they claim i didn't but instead of offering proof,  or to upsell it to me closed the case. 

The most interesting use I've got from the DNA  file is uploading it to Gedmatch   where they have a bunch of researchers looking at different ways to analyse the data . You can upload for free and get reports on possible relative matches either for free and various  family history reports for free or nominal sums.   

I believe All DNA testing is currently US/European centric because its part science and part data analysis and its all westerners in the  databases.    

I do however believe that companies offering to match your DNA to your starsign or romantic partner are WuWu nonsense. 

Edited by turgid

• 4 weeks later...

Discovered that along with Living DNA that both Family Tree and My Heritage will ship DNA testing kits to Thailand . 

If you want to do named ancestor research do an Autosomal DNA test typically $80++ and  pick the company with the biggest database.  Even then the chances are the relative you are trying to connect with won't be in the DNA database or will be in another database. Don't believe the marketing. .  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 8:30 AM, emptypockets said:

Gee I thought we were all related to Atilla the Hun.

I think my wife is.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, lassebasse said:

We have tested ourselves, my wife, who is from around Udon Thani is 50% Thai and 50% Vietnamese. My wife thought that was very funny and has no clues where the Viet connection comes from.

Maybe the guy in the black pajamas back behind the shed?  My wife's father was up around those parts before he went back to Vietnam. ????

3 minutes ago, luk AJ said:

It’s like the chicken and the egg, but how would I know, my DNA results show I am 90% Alien and 10% Gorilla.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Two birds that weren't really chickens created a chicken egg, and hence, we have your answer: The egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.  Natural Science 101.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Two birds that weren't really chickens created a chicken egg, and hence, we have your answer: The egg came first, and then it hatched a chicken.  Natural Science 101.   

Dinosaurs were laying eggs long before chickens or any birds!!!!

13 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

I have an American friend who was involve in ethnic tracing through language years ago.  He was part of a university group that went out and interviewed older people about names of things when they were young, or sort of like that. I remember his stories and that there were many ethnic language groups in the Northeastern Thailand, I presume elsewhere also. This was before DNA. If DNA could ID smaller ethnic groups it would be very interesting. 

DNA is more accurate as it doesn't change with migration.

for instance - unlike as language might suggest, it appears that the Anglo Saxons did not wipe out or displace the Britons but mixed with them.

Edited by Airbagwill

9 minutes ago, Chou Anou said:

For the racists in the room (and yeah....I know we got a lot; this is ThaiVisa, after all!): we're ALL related to Africans if you go back far enough.

The DNA testing only goes back a few generations allowing one to find relatives for example I found 3 because momma was a rolling stone - anywhere she hung her hat was home.  

1 hour ago, Chou Anou said:

For the racists in the room (and yeah....I know we got a lot; this is ThaiVisa, after all!): we're ALL related to Africans if you go back far enough.

I'm pretty sure that the Garden of Eden wasn't in Africa.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 9:14 PM, marcusarelus said:

Dinosaurs were not laying chicken eggs which is what we were discussing.  

the question is "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" - "chicken" is not nor ever was specified.

the answer is categorically "the egg" as anyone with any knowledge of English language or evolution would understand.

Edited by Airbagwill

On 7/30/2019 at 7:06 AM, Chou Anou said:

..and extraordinarily just a few 10s of thousands for the whole human species.

22 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

the question is "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" - "chicken" is not nor ever was specified.

the answer is categorically "the egg" as anyone with any knowledge of English language or evolution would understand.

The post I was responding to was, "It’s like the chicken and the egg, but how would I know, my DNA results show I am 90% Alien and 10% Gorilla."

• 1 month later...

My husband and I did the DNA tests from Ancestry. We were in the US and received it by mail there and sent it in. Turns out he is

57% China

36% Vietnam

7% Thai

He got a list of 4th cousins (2 names) and distant cousins (about 200 names). In addition to that, I’m creating our family tree on Ancestry. I’m finding a lot of historical records on my US relatives but nothing on his Thai relatives. I’m entering names, dates and pictures of relatives on Ancestry in the hopes our descendants will have the info available there in the future. Mainly because we have a grandson. I want him to know about our family. Doing the family tree and DNA is fun!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 6:53 AM, Xaos said:

23andme is 99$ sale now Do they ship to TH. 

What about AncestryDNA https://www.ancestry.com/dna/ 59$

Ancestry and 23andme do not ship to Thailand. 

On another note, ethnicity changes as they get a larger database. All they are doing is comparing your DNA to everyone else who submitted a sample, so of course if the database changes, your ethnicity will change. Ancestry says "We recently added more ethnicity populations and communities. Based on this update, you might see changes to your results." So now I'm 100% Eastern Europe & Russia. My Thai husband is 45% Vietnam, 42% China, 8% Dai (they show it on a map as Burma, Laos and Thailand), and 5% Southeast Asia. My husband's mother had Chinese ancestry, while my husband's father came from Southern Thailand. Anyway, the interesting thing about DNA is not really the ethnicity, it's that it matches you with relatives. So many relatives! You wouldn't believe it. Thousands, for both me and my husband. We get a list of their names and sometimes their pictures and where they live, and we can message. And the list keeps growing as more people get DNA tests. To make it worthwhile you have to build your family tree and then you can see where you're related to all these distant relatives. The ethnicity part might not be reliable, but the relatives matching is. In the case of relatives, "DNA doesn't lie." People are finding out lots of things about their families that they never knew.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:47 AM, Oxx said:

Why would you recommend something that's pure bunkum? Might as well go to a local soothsayer or some other totally meaningless quack.  Almost certainly cheaper, and every bit as reliable.

They are not all pure bunkum. They are the same tests done by authorities but are now cheaper and available to the public. They are very accurate

13 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Ancestry and 23andme do not ship to Thailand. 

On another note, ethnicity changes as they get a larger database. All they are doing is comparing your DNA to everyone else who submitted a sample, so of course if the database changes, your ethnicity will change. Ancestry says "We recently added more ethnicity populations and communities. Based on this update, you might see changes to your results." So now I'm 100% Eastern Europe & Russia. My Thai husband is 45% Vietnam, 42% China, 8% Dai (they show it on a map as Burma, Laos and Thailand), and 5% Southeast Asia. My husband's mother had Chinese ancestry, while my husband's father came from Southern Thailand. Anyway, the interesting thing about DNA is not really the ethnicity, it's that it matches you with relatives. So many relatives! You wouldn't believe it. Thousands, for both me and my husband. We get a list of their names and sometimes their pictures and where they live, and we can message. And the list keeps growing as more people get DNA tests. To make it worthwhile you have to build your family tree and then you can see where you're related to all these distant relatives. The ethnicity part might not be reliable, but the relatives matching is. In the case of relatives, "DNA doesn't lie." People are finding out lots of things about their families that they never knew.

What if your deceased mother or father was an adopted orphan? Would the test stop at that generation?

16 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

What if your deceased mother or father was an adopted orphan? Would the test stop at that generation?

DNA shows biological relatives, from a pool of people who also recently tested their DNA. So there's no DNA match for further back than my parents because no one's alive to send in their DNA (or they live in Thailand haha). I have a match to my mother. So I know I'm actually her daughter. The test doesn't "stop at that generation" there's no such thing as "stopping". Believe me Ancestry is a learning curve. At first it's confusing, I spent hours on the site learning it. Ancestry says "AncestryDNA matches are calculated based on your DNA and do not take into account any data from your family trees." That's because family trees are like flowcharts built by us, the members on Ancestry, so there can be human error in tracing your family tree with data from birth certificates and what info you know about your family. Basically the DNA is scientific, and the family tree might have an error because I created it myself. The DNA results and the family tree are two separate sections on the Ancestry site. In your example if my mother or father was adopted, I would get no matches to descendants of my grandparents (my mother's adopted parents) but I would get matches to descendants of my mother's biological parents (here I would find cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents I never knew I had). Then I could update my family tree to reflect this new information.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I got tested long since by 23&me and then sent genome to myAncestry. I thought 23&me was totally believable, but MyAncestry less so. They found Greek, no English (which would surprise my maternal grandparents who were both as English as Yorkshire Pudding). But 23&me and MyAncestry both got Scotland right. So if taken with a large spoon of salt it is of mild interest. I did make contact with my second cousin in USA who I had lost contact with in the 1960s. Thousands of 3rd to distant cousins with both 23&me and My Ancestry, but life is too short to track these down (even if they are "real" which I doubt).