Doubt greets Abhisit’s shunning of Prayut’s continued leadership

webfact

By The Nation

849e8f5602e7025e5e862afa8eb98d1b.jpeg

TWO WEEKS ahead of the March 24 election, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva made it clear for the first time yesterday that he would not support General Prayut Chan-o-cha’s return to power as prime minister.

He said the country’s economy remained in poor shape during the five years of rule by the military junta under Prayut.

“Let me speak clearly. I certainly don’t support General Prayut to continue as prime minister. Continuation of power [by the junta] leads to conflict and it is counter to the Democrat Party’s ‘people first’ ideology,” Abhisit said. 

“The economy has been in bad shape over the last five years. The country has suffered a lot of damage already,” he added.

Abhisit, a former premier, made the remarks in a video posted on his Facebook page.

He did not, however, say whether his party would be able to work post-election with the pro-junta Phalang Pracharat Party, which has nominated Prayut as its prime ministerial candidate.

In response, Anusorn Iamsa-ard, a key figure in the rival Pheu Thai Party, said yesterday he wondered whether Abhisit’s stance was his personal view or Democrat policy.

“In today’s politics there are only two sides in the view of the people – one that supports General Prayut’s continuation of power and one that is against it, which is led by Pheu Thai. Abhisit should not confuse the people by offering his party as a third choice,” Anusorn said.

He said that, to overcome any suspicion, the Democrats’ executive board has to confirm what Abhisit said about Prayut.

Meanwhile, Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul geared up his campaigning yesterday with a two-minute video on Facebook pitching him as the “captain” who could pilot Thailand out of a decade-long conflict towards prosperity.

“I am piloting my aeroplane throughout Thailand to send my heart and good intention to Thais all over the country,” he said. “I am ready to be the captain who flies Thailand ahead and out of the conflict that has pulled our country backwards for more than 10 years.

“I will fly all Thais to well-being and equality,” Anutin said.

In a related development, almost half the people who participated in a survey last week did not know how many ballot papers they would be given on Election Day. 

The survey results were released yesterday, showing 48 per cent of respondents unaware there will only be one ballot paper.

While 51.9 per cent of respondents said they knew how many ballot papers each voter would receive, more than 7 per cent of this group did not know there would be only one. Many voters recall filling in two ballot forms in previous elections.

The National Institute of Development Administration surveyed 1,251 eligible voters in all regions on March 5 and 6. 

More than 48 per cent of all respondents also didn’t know that candidates – even from the same party – were assigned different numbers on ballots in different constituencies. 

Told of the change, 81 per cent said it would pose no problem for them because they could remember the numbers of their preferred candidates in their own constituencies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30365547

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-03-11

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

“Let me speak clearly. I certainly don’t support General Prayut to continue as prime minister.  

“The economy has been in bad shape over the last five years. The country has suffered a lot of damage already,” he added.

At least he has the balls to say it. ????

I just hope the despot in charge doesn't find some cyber crime to bar him from the election too !

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I just hope the despot in charge doesn't find some cyber crime to bar him from the election too !

I don't think it took much balls once he had read the Democrats' polling figures.

By The Nation

849e8f5602e7025e5e862afa8eb98d1b.jpeg&key=78517a1b7ec39b03b1ebd6c3475ff77805b573c90aa2bb5a33d4c37ced6a90a0

More than 48 per cent of all respondents also didn’t know that candidates – even from the same party – were assigned different numbers on ballots in different constituencies. 

Told of the change, 81 per cent said it would pose no problem for them because they could remember the numbers of their preferred candidates in their own constituencies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30365547

thenation_logo.jpg&key=45c3cfd2ab4166f39e45e0effa38883351f609c80e3d701fdeba5fd778f0d97e
-- [emoji767] Copyright The Nation 2019-03-11

Does this mean that there will only be numbers on ballot papers! No names!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

Does this mean that there will only be numbers on ballot papers! No names!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sounds a great idea. A number popular in one constituency may be Phalang Pracharat's number in a neighbouring one. Easy for a truck to accidentally go to the wrong counting depot! ????

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Let me speak clearly . . . "

Like, way back three whole months ago, when I told the world I'd quit politics . . . and like, just 2 weeks later, I put myself up as leader of my great Democrat Party . . . again.

Abhisit, you're a man who's clearly lost his mojo and doubts about you and your party's idea of "Democracy" will be only too evident in a few days time. Time to get back to your hi-so clan and just relax by the pool . . . Thailand's safer, that way.

He was once being the military rulers concubine does hurt him a lot with many rural folks.  Too bad he could not find a successor.   The same words coming from somebody else would mean more.   Still glad he said what he said.  A female friend works two jobs to keep her family afloat.  She lost one of them and the poor economy is making her life difficult.   

5 hours ago, webfact said:

FFP and other opposition figures were hauled for attitude adjustment and legal jeopardy for saying the same thing. Is this an indication that the Dem Party will renege on Ahbisit's personal comment. PTP is justified for feeling suspicious. 

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

You can bet they're weaseling away at full speed looking into it. 

1 hour ago, Ossy said:

Like, way back three whole months ago, when I told the world I'd quit politics . . . and like, just 2 weeks later, I put myself up as leader of my great Democrat Party . . . again.

Abhisit, you're a man who's clearly lost his mojo and doubts about you and your party's idea of "Democracy" will be only too evident in a few days time. Time to get back to your hi-so clan and just relax by the pool . . . Thailand's safer, that way.

Oh yes, the T-clan is much better, isn't it?

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Hmmm

if  the economy is doing poorly, then why is the THB doing so well?

Well spotted, based on the THB exchange rate we don't really need the countries economy to improve do we ! :shock1:

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Hmmm

if  the economy is doing poorly, then why is the THB doing so well?

It is an error to see the strength of an economy solely through the value of its currency. The strength of an economy is dependent on several variables especially GDP which measures economic activity. The exchange rate has a very minor connection with the strength of an economy. Instead, it is determined by trade performance, capital inflows or an arbitrary number chosen by the Central Bank.

10 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

He is the only hope for this country, incorruptible and a lot of class!

Because of the high level of illiteracy in India, at the ballot each party in contention is assigned an animal rather than a number.  There is a lot a corruption and bribes to secure a popular animal image for your party.  Tiger or elephant are relevant examples.

Thais have a penchant for looking for mystical and lucky numbers.  Does anyone know who gets to say what party/candidate gets what number on the ballot?  I am absolutely confident that tea money would also be involved here.  But can anyone confirm this?

2 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Because of the high level of illiteracy in India, at the ballot each party in contention is assigned an animal rather than a number.  There is a lot a corruption and bribes to secure a popular animal image for your party.  Tiger or elephant are relevant examples.

Thais have a penchant for looking for mystical and lucky numbers.  Does anyone know who gets to say what party/candidate gets what number on the ballot?  I am absolutely confident that tea money would also be involved here.  But can anyone confirm this?

Wakey-wakey! . . . the numbers have been on the roadside election posters for a fortnight or more.

Perhaps the time for him to have shunned Prayuth's leadership would have been back in April 2010 before the street massacres or perhaps in February 2014 before the election was cancelled, manning up now reeks of self interest.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:37 AM, webfact said:

He said the country’s economy remained in poor shape during the five years of rule by the military junta under Prayut.

Sadly, just say something and many will just believe it -- without fact checking. In fact, the Thai economy has done quite well. Prayut, while not perfect by far, seems to want to do a good job for Thailand. And has appointed some excellent folks to accomplish this, e.g., Somkid.

No, Abhisit, get your facts straight. And, looking back on your reign, probably best not to say too much. Could the Democrats, or the Thaksin crowd, have done better the last few years -- we'll never know. But I seriously doubt it. Anyway, Google has a lot of positives about the Thai economy. Sadly, most will not (or can't) take the time to learn the real facts. Instead, political fake news, like that from Abhisit, will, sadly, influence voters' decisions.

Thailand's economy picked up speed in the first three months of 2018 to grow at its fastest pace in five years, in part aided by an improvement in domestic consumption and a rebound in its agriculture output.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/thailand-economy-grows-at-fastest-rate-in-5-years-2018-05-21

Archived