Claim centres to track down tourists who skip hospital bills

webfact

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JimSaints said:

And here comes the mandatory overpriced Health Insurance with no choice of company or coverage

14 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Is it even possible to get health insurance over a certain age? 

This link goes to the companies that currently offer the insurance that is mandatory for O-X visa. A choice of 3 companies, a 60 year old costs $2000US a year, and insurance available up to 100 years old ($10,000US pa)

https://longstay.tgia.org

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

i see, so expats without insurance, many of whom won't know this new requirement beforehand , will be turned away and die at the front-door of the hospital; nice look for thailand

Where did he say that? Your crystal ball may require maintenance.

If only a company would come up with a bond type system, so some money is physically present to meet any condition, with perhaps a fixed inpatients allowance add-on, and the third layer is conventional insurance, which effectively would also be more cost effective, having a excess/deductable from the bond.

I looked at the applications of the 40k/400k insurance, at least one asked will you spend more than 180 days in Thailand (or something like that), honest answer would be "don't know" could tell how many days for the previous year.

3 minutes ago, toolpush said:

A lot of people on this thread seem to be confusing State Owned and operated public hospitals with Privately Owned and operated hospitals.

Yes indeed. Confused, hateful, fortune-telling and generally gloomy. Certainly glad I avoid long stay foreigners that dwell in the dark regions of life.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In the longer term, he would like to see long-stay tourists be required to buy life insurance, accident insurance and health insurance. 

My wife would kill me If I ever took out life insurance.

This happen to me in  a hospital here, had collapsed with dehydration was taken to a hospital first question do you have insurance no ATM card yes credit card yes Okay  will admit you.     

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

I would think the last paragraph about migrant workers is where they should focus. These people have accidents at work,  bring pregnant wives with them and are generally  in poorer health than westerners twice their age.

And they should be getting healthcare as they work here and contribute to the economy.

Debt collection a problem

So they are busy to collect from farangs. Good news for the abbot of the temple runned hospital which piled up millions of debt not paying the bills. Oh I forgot, they cannot pay because monks are not allowed to touch money...

1 minute ago, Lupatria said:

So they are busy to collect from farangs. Good news for the abbot of the temple runned hospital which piled up millions of debt not paying the bills. Oh I forgot, they cannot pay because monks are not allowed to touch money...

And they can't touch an iPhone? 

30m forign tourists. Forget those from neighbouring countries who aren't real tourists. That could be around 20m arriving on international flights per year.

Add 100 baht per person to the air ticket tax to use as a fund to cover these eventualities, only available to public hospitals. A 2bn baht fund is plenty to cover such bills along with a large amount to run the operation and over "expenses".

Sounds too easy.

4 minutes ago, Lupatria said:

Thais, including monks, get free healthcare, how can they be running up a debt

34 minutes ago, Crash999 said:

Is it even possible to get health insurance over a certain age? 

Yes, it just costs a fortune. I see famous vlogger in Pattaya is just in hospital for cancer chemo and a 3 day stay including the tests, scans and chemo is costing about 1 million baht!

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

30m forign tourists. Forget those from neighbouring countries who aren't real tourists. That could be around 20m arriving on international flights per year.

Add 100 baht per person to the air ticket tax to use as a fund to cover these eventualities, only available to public hospitals. A 2bn baht fund is plenty to cover such bills along with a large amount to run the operation and over "expenses".

Sounds too easy.

Think they added something a few years ago. That pot seems to be empty!! Sticky fingers everywhere

1 minute ago, madmitch said:

Sounds too easy.

Stop it.....They dont want sensible solutions...They want the farang to dig deep in their pockets and pay big money for mediocre policies... 

57 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

300 million baht is a drop in the ocean compared to what comes in. 

Most of the injuries were probably caused by Thais in the first place anyway . 

Try making the place safer for tourists !

Well said

1 hour ago, rodney earl said:

After being ripped off by a hospital in Khon Kaen over a long period for 3 operations for the same thing and finally going home and getting the problem fixed in 2 weeks and no operation was needed. I have had enough and I am going home for good where medical care is soo much better and soo much cheaper.!!!

Me too fella. Seems we are not wanted, I guess no surprise there but the feeling of "anti foreigner" is getting me down. I don't want to live in a country like that and I don't want my son to grow up in such an environment. The thing that i cannot abide is it feels like almost every day there is something in the news about the "bad foreigner", I have no idea how much of a problem the unpaid hospital bills are compared to the foreigners who do pay and do have insurance or indeed as a percentage of the turnover of each hospital. But does not seem to matter. Time to get out, seems many are doing so, some will stay I am sure and fair enough but I cannot live in a country where that clearly don't want us. Good luck on your relocation.

Thos is what I find little crazy , Thai who pay no taxes get 30 baht medical care and of something cost money and they do not pay , hospital does not treat them.

foreigners spent at least double , as pensions still higher than the average wage in Thailand are a burden ? And treated irrespective if they pay or not ?

bangkok hospital Pattaya , visit to a doctor by me is 1000 baht , same doctor for a Thai 500 baht. So perhaps 300 million is really only 150 million and the Centers may cost double that to operate with no guarantees of success 

A public-health official speaking on condition of anonymity said foreigners often run out of cash during long stays in Thailand. “And when they need medical services, they simply don’t pay.”

This is directed only at the tourists who come and stay a month or months on end doing back to back 30 day or 60 day visas turning them into 90 days and then leaving just to come back and do the same routine again.. Yes the key here is TOURISTS.

The recent article with the 31 yr old Brit who cannot pay the hospital bill with a brain problem from motorcycle accident probably started another run on us long stay NOT tourists. Travel insurance will not pay all, had no license. And he was responsible, but no license.

The majority of the statistic quoted in "another famous newspaper" states from hospital admissions that Europeans are the majority who stiff the hospital.

So no travel insurance, don't let them on the airplane!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

In the longer term, he would like to see long-stay tourists be required to buy life insurance, accident insurance and health insurance. 

“We’re also thinking about making insurance mandatory for elderly foreigners who retire to Thailand. Otherwise the state hospitals will again be carrying the burden.”

Every time I go to a hospital they have someone walk me to the pay window and they don't leave until they see me pay. 300 million? I find this really hard to believe for 1 year. If true, it must be seriously inflated.

Is Natthawuth the new Somchai? The name Somchai just reading or hearing it irritates me to no end.

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Your lying there half dead on the trolley and the first words, How do you want to pay?

Bunrungrad in Bangkok wanted my credit card as I was being taken into Emergency about 9 years ago.

Each day after that it was the same routine, until my insurance started paying the bill.

Lucky I had a healthy credit card. 

Now I am happy to use the public hospital in Hua Hin, much cheaper on my pocket.

6 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Me too fella. Seems we are not wanted, I guess no surprise there but the feeling of "anti foreigner" is getting me down. I don't want to live in a country like that and I don't want my son to grow up in such an environment. The thing that i cannot abide is it feels like almost every day there is something in the news about the "bad foreigner", I have no idea how much of a problem the unpaid hospital bills are compared to the foreigners who do pay and do have insurance or indeed as a percentage of the turnover of each hospital. But does not seem to matter. Time to get out, seems many are doing so, some will stay I am sure and fair enough but I cannot live in a country where that clearly don't want us. Good luck on your relocation.

I don't understand this "anti-foreigner'' statement. I have lived here for nigh on 14 years and have never come across this bias. Check up on the general British public as to their views on foreigners if you want to know about anti-foreigner bias. Yes they have regulations for long stay visas as do all other countries and it seems there is some confusion in some IO's regarding these regulations but to regard this as anti-foreigner is a bit much. I have always been treated with respect here but I am also respectful.

You do understand the concept of "business" right?

They expect to be paid for their services.

I also was about to go into surgery for a ruptured appendix at Bumrungrad, and was told that my credit card had been declined. I had to call HSBC and transfer some money Fromm Savings to Credit Card from the gurney.

I think hospitals have every right to collect up front. They are a business and offer a service. If you can't afford it, or don't have insurance, buy some Panadol.

BS! I spent over a million to cure a disease thats free to fix in the western world. I did it here because i was working during that time and was easier to do it here and also all that needed to be done was have an injection once a week. The hospital <deleted> it up and now im incurable, slowly dying and poor! Thais are blaming foreigners again for there own miss use of hospital funds, negligence and dont understand that if you charge ridiculous prices people are more likely to skip out. Im sorry to say i dont believe this is western tourists and the figure theyve pulled out of theyre asses is just to once again make out tourists to be the most evil people in the world yet try and take every penny they have. Whos evil? Unsustainable ecconomy much?

30 million tourist per year. If they tag 100 baht per tourist to their departure tax (currently 700 baht, increase it to 800 or 1,000 BHT).that will collect 3 to 10 billion. This country needs intellectual people not bunch of crooks who only thinks how to maximize profits their own group. 

If you don't want to penalize every tourists, then break it down by groups and levy a tax based on that. What's so hard? When country lacks intellectualism, democracy is destroyed, and greedy people take over, it is certainly going to the ruins. 

1 minute ago, onera1961 said:

30 million tourist per year. If they tag 100 baht per tourist to their departure tax (currently 700 baht, increase it to 800 or 1,000 BHT).that will collect 3 to 10 billion. This country needs intellectual people not bunch of crooks who only thinks how to maximize profits their own group. 

If you don't want to penalize every tourists, then break it down by groups and levy a tax based on that. What's so hard? When country lacks intellectualism, democracy is destroyed, and greedy people take over, it is certainly going to the ruins. 

What's so greedy about wanting to get paid for services and expenses provided?

Archived