U.S.-backed Syrian force attacks Islamic State enclave

webfact

U.S.-backed Syrian force attacks Islamic State enclave

By Rodi Said

2019-03-10T161431Z_2_LYNXMPEF290GV_RTROPTP_4_MIDEAST-CRISIS-ISLAMIC-STATE.JPG

A fighter from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) sits at a back of a truck, near the village of Baghouz, Deir Al Zor province, in Syria March 9, 2019. Picture taken March 9, 2019. REUTERS/Rodi Said

BAGHOUZ, Syria (Reuters) - U.S.-backed Syrian forces launched an assault against the final Islamic State enclave in eastern Syria on Sunday, aiming to wipe out the last vestige of its self-declared "caliphate" that once spanned a third of Iraq and Syria.

While the Baghouz enclave represents the last shred of populated land held by the jihadists, the group is still widely seen as a big security threat operating in remote territory elsewhere and able to launch guerrilla attacks.

The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) has been poised to advance into the enclave for weeks, but has repeatedly held back to allow for the evacuation of civilians, many of them wives and children of Islamic State fighters.

Mustafa Bali, head of the SDF media office, said no further civilians had emerged from the enclave at the Iraqi border since Saturday and the SDF had not observed any more civilians in the area, prompting the decision to attack.

"The military operations have started. Our forces are now clashing with the terrorists and the attack started," he told Reuters.

Bali said more than 4,000 IS militants had surrendered in the last month, among the tens of thousands of people who have streamed out of Baghouz - a collection of hamlets surrounded by farmland on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River.

But the SDF has also said the most hardened foreign jihadists are still holed up inside, ready to fight to the end.

In a post on Twitter, Bali said the attack had started at 6 p.m. (1600 GMT). Air strikes had targeted Islamic State weapons stores. "Direct and fierce" clashes were underway, he added.

Islamic State has been driven from the territory it once held in Syria and Iraq by an array of enemies, including forces backed by Russia, Iran and Turkey in addition to the United States.

It suffered its major military defeats in 2017 with the loss of the Syrian city of Raqqa and Iraq's Mosul.

A former IS fighter who surrendered to the SDF two months ago told Reuters in an interview on Saturday that the group had sent hundreds of men out of its diminishing territory to establish sleeper cells.

The SDF, spearheaded by the Kurdish YPG militia, has been the main U.S. partner in Syria and has steadily driven the group down the eastern bank of the Euphrates River, forcing its fighters and followers to fall back to Baghouz.

Earlier on Sunday, a Reuters journalist in SDF-held ground observed Islamic State fighters moving around in the part of Baghouz still under their control.

SDF fighters advanced into a makeshift tented settlement abandoned by the group, finding a number of rifles and ammunition left behind.

(Reporting by Rodi Said; Writing by Lisa Barrington/Tom Perry Editing by Kevin Liffey and Raissa Kasolowsky)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-03-11

3 hours ago, Tug said:

Wish that would put a stop to it but sadly I think not

The BBC showed refugee ISIS women and children being evacuated by trucks. The women stated chanting Allahu Akhbar and throwing rocks at the BBC camera and crew.

If anyone thinks this is over, that radical Islam has been thwarted and neutered they need to think again!

Sadly, like the medieval black plague, radical Islam spreads, effects and destroys. Only it's transmitted by humans now, not rats.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S.-backed Syrian forces launched an assault against the final Islamic State enclave in eastern Syria on Sunday, aiming to wipe out the last vestige of its self-declared "caliphate" that once spanned a third of Iraq and Syria.

That will put the Assad regime back into uncontested control of Syria solidified by support of Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Russia. The US presence will be left with a politically symbolic 400 troops "watch group" in Iraq for possible ISIS resurgence in the region. 

After Trump indicated the US will essentially abandon after ISIS defeat, the Free Syrian Army and Syrian Kurdish rebel who were opposing Assad have both approached reconciliation with Assad to protect themselves against Turkish regional political objectives.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The BBC showed refugee ISIS women and children being evacuated by trucks. The women stated chanting Allahu Akhbar and throwing rocks at the BBC camera and crew.

If anyone thinks this is over, that radical Islam has been thwarted and neutered they need to think again!

Sadly, like the medieval black plague, radical Islam spreads, effects and destroys. Only it's transmitted by humans now, not rats.

yes it was awful to watch and still some people believe de-radicalization is the answer.. and that we, in the West, should take responsibility for it as they are supposed to be poor brainwashed victims 

Hand every last one of them over to Assad's forces.
They can have their day at court under Syrian law.
They took their chances so to heck with them.

yes it was awful to watch and still some people believe de-radicalization is the answer.. and that we, in the West, should take responsibility for it as they are supposed to be poor brainwashed victims 

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You reap what you sow.

How often did the rest of the world try to tell the US that by invading Iraq, drone strikes killing 1000's of innocents etc they will only create generations of terrorists?

Not excusing the brainwashed islamic radicals, just pointing to some sad truths.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

That will put the Assad regime back into uncontested control of Syria solidified by support of Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Russia. The US presence will be left with a politically symbolic 400 troops "watch group" in Iraq for possible ISIS resurgence in the region. 

After Trump indicated the US will essentially abandon after ISIS defeat, the Free Syrian Army and Syrian Kurdish rebel who were opposing Assad have both approached reconciliation with Assad to protect themselves against Turkish regional political objectives.

You have the right train of thought but the wrong regional politics. 

Syria is supported by Iran. (also by Lebanese Hezbullah which is also backed by Iran)

Turkey loathes Syria and Saudi. Turkey loathes the main US backed fighters, the Kurds.

Turkey calls all Kurds a terror group and has vowed to Eradicate them.

Russia backs Syria and has made love talks with Turkey.

Who knows what the Trump Dump policy is after the remaining token force and airforce is withdrawn.

But the Muslim War will continue. Shiite and Sunni will continue to kill each other, when they do not try to kill Kurds.

Add to troubles in Egypt, Sudan, Libya, Algeria, the southern and west African murderous regimes. Mali, and My typing hand has nearly run out 

Southern Thailand, Southern Philippines muslims, Pakistan, Afghanistan. Bangladesh.

The only peaceful muslim country you never hear from in regards to terror is Brunei.

15 hours ago, Opl said:

IMO you are misrepresenting the stance of returning IS people to their Western Country of origin. The primary point is for the Western governments to take responsibility for their citizens, even if that may mean the expense of a life sentence without parole, not palm them off to to a third party.

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

IMO you are misrepresenting the stance of returning IS people to their Western Country of origin. The primary point is for the Western governments to take responsibility for their citizens, even if that may mean the expense of a life sentence without parole, not palm them off to to a third party.

IMO you are underestimating the threat of importing jihadists - terrorists without borders - Inside our countries in the West as proven by the IS network all over Europe.

Citizenship is not a pass to people who pledged allegiance to IS and support terrorist actions - wherever - moreover on the soil of the nation who granted them Citizenship when they or their families asked for; those who hand their passports as  return tickets once IS is defeated should be kept outside of our borders. We have enough of them and their supporters in our jails. How do you - personally - conciliate " Western country of origin" with " pledge of allegiance to Daesh"?

1 hour ago, Opl said:

. How do you - personally - conciliate " Western country of origin" with " pledge of allegiance to Daesh"?

IMO government must not hand off home country  prisoners to a third party country. So far as I know never happened in past conflicts with alleged traitors, no need to lower the bar for justice now. Should local laws need to be further enacted for security / detention purposes, so be it.

25 minutes ago, simple1 said:

IMO government must not hand off home country  prisoners to a third party country. So far as I know never happened in past conflicts with alleged traitors, no need to lower the bar for justice now. Should local laws need to be further enacted for security / detention purposes, so be it.

"No need to lower the bar for justice" ? really...if you have some time here below , a typical case from A to Z, we are dealing with - and it's just the beginning of it , if you admit we are at war with terrorism, so how do you fight with good thoughts.. this is the reality challenging our democratic laws. Whose side are you finally on? What if he had been kept in Syria and not been able to return to Europe?   

A French-born jihadist, who spent a year fighting in Syria for the Islamic State (IS) group, has been given a life sentence for the murder of four people in an anti-Semitic attack in Belgium.  

2 hours ago, Opl said:

"No need to lower the bar for justice" ? really...if you have some time here below , a typical case from A to Z, we are dealing with - and it's just the beginning of it , if you admit we are at war with terrorism, so how do you fight with good thoughts.. this is the reality challenging our democratic laws. Whose side are you finally on? What if he had been kept in Syria and not been able to return to Europe?   

A French-born jihadist, who spent a year fighting in Syria for the Islamic State (IS) group, has been given a life sentence for the murder of four people in an anti-Semitic attack in Belgium.  

I recall the French guy got back into Europe undetected by security forces; obviously those returning under government control will not.

Western government policy ultimately led to the rise of ISIS, IMO they should take ownership, not palm off to corrupt third party governments will all the associated hypocrisy and risks.

Kindly do not infer I'm sympathetic to the likes of Daesh because I hold differing opinion to you. 

Let all the isis/she isis rot over in Syria..be tried by a Syrian Court etc etc.
The UK should be spending money on likes of Research into Cystic Fibrosis..Cancer Research..Help the Aged etc etc.
Also..I would immediately STOP all Foreign Aid..and spend that money on boosting the numbers of Police Officers..MI5 etc.
No one forced anyone to leave the UK to live out their dream of either fighting for islam or being a bedmat for the fighters.
We all make choices in life!!

There are many posts here that are well thought out. Those who support to return home and

those who say you forfeited your right to citizenship when you pledge allegiance to a disgusting murder group of psychopaths.

The real worry is the statements from the so called wives. Many want to return to their European homes.

Most freely admit they had no qualms about the murder they are associated with.

Most freely admit that ISIS leaders told them to wait until contacted, to be sleepers.

France 24 has an excellent series called something like wives of ISIS.

I doubt whether many will be deradicalised.

I am glad I do not have to make the decisions because if just one Islam moron goes on a murder spree back in Europe,

the politician who signed will never last the public out cry. Maybe a camp somewhere out in the middle of the desert,

supported by the greens and those organisations that feel sympathy for these mentally challenged murder cult radicals.

As long as the greens and the other organisations realise that they will be totally on their own...paying for everything themselves...food/medical supplies..protection..maintaining all their transport etc etc.
And of course everyone will be have to have the proper visas, documentation..security screened etc etc.

There are many posts here that are well thought out. Those who support to return home and
those who say you forfeited your right to citizenship when you pledge allegiance to a disgusting murder group of psychopaths.
The real worry is the statements from the so called wives. Many want to return to their European homes.
Most freely admit they had no qualms about the murder they are associated with.
Most freely admit that ISIS leaders told them to wait until contacted, to be sleepers.
 France 24 has an excellent series called something like wives of ISIS.
I doubt whether many will be deradicalised.
I am glad I do not have to make the decisions because if just one Islam moron goes on a murder spree back in Europe,
the politician who signed will never last the public out cry. Maybe a camp somewhere out in the middle of the desert,
supported by the greens and those organisations that feel sympathy for these mentally challenged murder cult radicals.

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

"Most freely admit that ISIS leaders told them to wait until contacted, to be sleepers."

Really?

Go watch the interviews on France 24. These are not my comments or assumptions.

They are from French and English wives of Jihadi men. They were interviewed as they were taken into custody by Kurd militia.

. None showed any remorse. Check it out. Don't make out you are superior without any real time facts. Once again you cast doubt on things you know nothing about.

11 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

<SNIP>

Can you please confirm which Western political parties have expressed sympathy for ISIS members. Various politicians would have expressed support for the Rule of Law, but sympathy???

12 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Can you please confirm which Western political parties have expressed sympathy for ISIS members. Various politicians would have expressed support for the Rule of Law, but sympathy???

Anyone that wants to re introduce a radical murder cult in their country must have feelings of sympathy or be totally out of their tiny minds.

If you abandon your right to be a citizen and take up another country for residence and allegiance, the former entitlement to a "Rule of Law" has been negated.

No country owes these murderers and accomplices anything. Let the "state" of ISIS or Daesh or Radical Levant or whatever state you want to call them look after them.

After all they went on a looting spree and must have billions stashed away somewhere. 

You have expressed a desire to repatriate  murderers without remorse. Who by the way have renounced their former citizenship.

How about you and your sympathizers pay for them to be locked up in a camp in the middle of no where so they will never be allowed anywhere near a civilised country.

3 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Anyone that wants to re introduce a radical murder cult in their country must have feelings of sympathy or be totally out of their tiny minds.

If you abandon your right to be a citizen and take up another country for residence and allegiance, the former entitlement to a "Rule of Law" has been negated.

No country owes these murderers and accomplices anything. Let the "state" of ISIS or Daesh or Radical Levant or whatever state you want to call them look after them.

After all they went on a looting spree and must have billions stashed away somewhere. 

You have expressed a desire to repatriate  murderers without remorse. Who by the way have renounced their former citizenship.

How about you and your sympathizers pay for them to be locked up in a camp in the middle of no where so they will never be allowed anywhere near a civilised country.

In other words no facts to back up your prior claim. BTW I have reported you for the deeply insulting unwarranted personal attack.

32 minutes ago, simple1 said:

In other words no facts to back up your prior claim. BTW I have reported you for the deeply insulting unwarranted personal attack.

My prior claim is not my own. I reported on a France 24 series that is about the wives of Jihadi fighters.

It is a series and I suggest you watch it before making ill informed and ignorant comment.

If you found my post insulting, it is only because you wish to be offended.

Such was not my intent, but we could open another post about people who try their best to be offended and then offer 

some threat to report me. If that is the best you can do, go for it. I will not be intimidated by your unwarranted threats.

If you do actually watch the series (which I doubt because you already have a mind set), you will find it chilling and frightening.

The form of muslim teaching they have is totally intolerant and barbaric.

And to invite these psychopaths into any environment, including a prison would a an abrogation of civic duty to society and any prisoner.

Cheers, have a nice day.  

On 3/11/2019 at 10:35 AM, Baerboxer said:

Precisely correct. Now instead of terrorising one region they will spread all over the world carrying out terrorist attacks.

out of all the “ civilians” how many were Isis fighters or Isis supporters ?!

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

My prior claim is not my own. I reported on a France 24 series that is about the wives of Jihadi fighters.

It is a series and I suggest you watch it before making ill informed and ignorant comment.

If you found my post insulting, it is only because you wish to be offended.

Such was not my intent, but we could open another post about people who try their best to be offended and then offer 

some threat to report me. If that is the best you can do, go for it. I will not be intimidated by your unwarranted threats.

If you do actually watch the series (which I doubt because you already have a mind set), you will find it chilling and frightening.

The form of muslim teaching they have is totally intolerant and barbaric.

And to invite these psychopaths into any environment, including a prison would a an abrogation of civic duty to society and any prisoner.

Cheers, have a nice day.  

I have looked at France 24, but cannot locate your claim.

Accordingly, please provide the link to your claim reported on France 24 i.e. "supported by the greens and those organisations that feel sympathy for these mentally challenged murder cult radicals"

I am only posting an alternative government policy which has been raised by a number of politicians across all parties, zero justification to be so hysterical / hyperbolic. Plus I assume you're aware that our security agencies have made it clear the level of anti Muslim hyperbole on social media is not helpful in dealing with counter terrorism. However, you seem to think you're an SME on Islamist terror, doubt it will change your and others behaviour.

I am well aware of the activities of Daesh and the foundation policy document for their ultra violence and cruelty which was originally implemented by Al Qaeda. Some a bit out of date, but if you're interested...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Management_of_Savagery

https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/abu-bakr-naji-the-management-of-savagery-the-most-critical-stage-through-which-the-umma-will-pass.pdf

http://theconversation.com/years-of-fixation-on-defeating-al-qaeda-have-stunted-us-foreign-policy-64072

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Precisely correct. Now instead of terrorising one region they will spread all over the world carrying out terrorist attacks.

out of all the “ civilians” how many were Isis fighters or Isis supporters ?!

Good thing that the Syrians, Hezbollah, and Russians haven't been doing exactly the same thing. Oh..wait a minute...

9 hours ago, simple1 said:

Accordingly, please provide the link to your claim reported on France 24 i.e. "supported by the greens and those organisations that feel sympathy for these mentally challenged murder cult radicals"

I am only posting an alternative government policy which has been raised by a number of politicians across all parties, zero justification to be so hysterical / hyperbolic. Plus I assume you're aware that our security agencies have made it clear the level of anti Muslim hyperbole on social media is not helpful in dealing with counter terrorism. However, you seem to think you're an SME on Islamist terror, doubt it will change your and others behaviour.

I am well aware of the activities of Daesh and the foundation policy document for their ultra violence and cruelty which was originally implemented by Al Qaeda. Some a bit out of date, but if you're interested...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/abu-bakr-naji-the-management-of-savagery-the-most-critical-stage-through-which-the-umma-will-pass.pdf

http://theconversation.com/years-of-fixation-on-defeating-al-qaeda-have-stunted-us-foreign-policy-64072

I think Prissana Pescud mentioned this below  from France24 ( see  "some are ferocious")

“The problem is their intentions, they tell us what we want to hear, but we have no idea about what they really think. That’s a problem that must be addressed by experts. When they gave themselves up, some of them told us that the IS group briefed them, telling them, ‘Surrender, go back to your countries, get your strength back and we will start again’.”

surrender go back to your countries get your strength back and we will start again

You're welcome

11 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Good thing that the Syrians, Hezbollah, and Russians haven't been doing exactly the same thing. Oh..wait a minute...

The usual nonsense from the same people ie person ie you, big surprise there????

14 hours ago, simple1 said:

I watched a "live"  report from France 24. I get little up to date news from anywhere in my tiny remote village in Thailand.

Except from France24 English. I state again that these are not my opinions but those from the mouths of a multitude of the wives of Jihadists.

And I find France 24 to be a balanced news forum. The title of the series is called " Wives of Jihadists" or similar. It is a series.

The first women interviewed still had desert dust impregnated in the bags they wore on their heads. They could hardly breathe.

There can be no doubt that serious conflict with fanatical Islamists will continue. Not confined to the geographical ares where Western interferences stimulate/ed initiated the rise in significance.

The situation now is a quagmire of political manipulation involving all and any argument excusing or justifying. 

The  hordes of  "refugees" that have poured into Europe in particular have been the product of political expediance.

The  advocates of  "human rights" of course as usual ignore the greater rights of those now threatened and in many cases actually disenfranchised in their own  countries.

Regardless of origin affiliates of extremists should  be made to remain such as the wives and families of ISIS. Those from the  west that opted to enlist in a terrorist faction opted to commit treason given the stated intent of that faction. Seeding the world  with people who retain a philosophy extremist domination

is  akin to spreading a dangerous virus. It  should  be contained as such.

Sadly it was the  famous " declaration of  war on terrorism " based on very dubious justification that propelled extremism and extremists into  self serving disproportionate significance. 

"We" do not reap what we  sow. Politicians sow. We bear the consequences.

Where now is any beneficial reaping?

15 hours ago, simple1 said:

You have not looked hard enough, I watched pt2 tonight. Pt 2

They are immune to beheadings. " I Saw many beheadings and knew that an infidel moslim was dispatched". was one "lady" who spoke French.

Now she wants to go back to France. Of course they told us to wait for a new caliphate.  Of course we will wait for the next caliphate.

Archived