'Brexit in peril' as PM May faces heavy defeat

webfact

18 minutes ago, steve187 said:

not only 17,410,742 but the majority of the people that voted, in the biggest turn out since 1992 in a GE, and the biggest in a referendum ever

Yes. But the Brexiteers are still repeatedly pushing the fakery that the vote was for Hard Brexit. Which it wasn't. No terms in the referendum does not equal no deal. Carry on.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Brexit is not a tap that can be switched on and off.

it is possible that the UK Can withdraw art. 50 and can resign from the EU at a later date. The two-year waiting period will come to fruition. How often theoretically the UK can do this game is not regulated.

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Yes. But the Brexiteers are still repeatedly pushing the fakery that the vote was for Hard Brexit. Which it wasn't. No terms in the referendum does not equal no deal. Carry on.

Agreed. But is was reasonable to expect what Cameron - and later May - stated.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

May’s surrender agreement looks like it will be kicked out.
No Deal will probably be voted against too. How can they reconcile that with the 29th March date already legislated for?
A short extension to Article 50 would not achieve anything, plus would not easily be agreed by the other 27 EU members. A long extension would have Parliament playing with fire.
So, 18 days and we’re out. Free at last.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Dream on!

49 minutes ago, steve187 said:

no because because they failed to do the bidding of the people, it was not up to the MP's to have a say, they had their say the same as everyone else in the vote, we need another gang of 650, this bunch are a lots of pancake  toss flippers, the 2 party politics in the UK has had its day.

Referendums are advisory and not legally binding in the UK. The government could take or leave that advice but also had a duty to act in accordance with the UK Constitution and their responsibilities as a representative democracy. 

They failed miserably because they haven't got the courage of their convictions are are far too self centered and "I'm alright Jack" orientated.

It's a cock up. Leaving without a deal or with May's crap deal will be a disaster. But you can bet the politicians won't be badly affected whatever happens.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Brexiteers, failed to plan, planned to fail.

Heads scratched, ‘how did we get here’?

Answer: It’s somebody else’s fault.

If May and her negotiators were sincere about their promise to deliver Brexit, they have had nearly three years to map out a detailed blueprint for life after Brexit.

The fact that they haven't bothered speaks for itself.

The lack of planning cannot be laid at the door of Brexiteers, as the term clearly does not apply to our mendacious Remainer Prime Minister and a traitorous Parliament who have colluded with the EU to deliver the greatest betrayal of democracy in our nation's history.

52 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Withdrawing Art 50 is irrevocable which means UK cannot withdraw and then resubmit an Art 50 unless the EU agree.

The EU court ruled that it's interpretation of the relevant law is that the UK can revoke Article 50 any time before the 29th March - unilaterally; and it's membership terms would be exactly the same, as if nothing had happened.

Can you please supply a citation to support your comment that Article 50 not be invoked again without EU agreement - presumably you mean by the other member states rather than the executive?

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

True. That's EU law at the moment. Expect that too change soon!

I think the EU will first extend the deadline between termination date and withdrawal date. Two years are just too short to reasonably conclude such a complex process. Another change will may be the syncronasition between exit date and budget term.

2 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

If May and her negotiators were sincere about their promise to deliver Brexit, they have had nearly three years to map out a detailed blueprint for life after Brexit.

The fact that they haven't bothered speaks for itself.

The lack of planning cannot be laid at the door of Brexiteers, as the term clearly does not apply to our mendacious Remainer Prime Minister and a traitorous Parliament who have colluded with the EU to deliver the greatest betrayal of democracy in our nation's history.

The UK is a representative democracy in which parliament is sovereign. You do know what that means and how that differs from an absolute democracy?

The great majority of 16 to 18 year olds who were unable to vote in the 2016 flawed referendum (76%) according to a weekend opinion poll would vote to Remain if a new vote was allowed.

There is very little doubt that the result would be overturned if a new vote was held now and surely this is about the future of the next generation not old people like me who won't be around to see the consequences either way.

So get out of the way you imperialists and nationalists and let the future be determined by those who it will affect most.

And when a new PM is elected, which won't be too long, please let it not be some ultra right wing loony like Johnson or Rees Hogg.

6 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

The great majority of 16 to 18 year olds who were unable to vote in the 2016 flawed referendum (76%) according to a weekend opinion poll would vote to Remain if a new vote was allowed.

There is very little doubt that the result would be overturned if a new vote was held now and surely this is about the future of the next generation not old people like me who won't be around to see the consequences either way.

So get out of the way you imperialists and nationalists and let the future be determined by those who it will affect most.

And when a new PM is elected, which won't be too long, please let it not be some ultra right wing loony like Johnson or Rees Hogg.

Maybe have another referendum, but just allow under 12s to vote.

12 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Dream on. If they're daft enough to pursue round 2 the result will be a tsunami for leave.

16 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

True or not, for some reason I don't think of 16-18 year olds as being the height of reasonable thought! ????

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

...i'm still perfecting my gloat-dance ????

MPs are determined to remain, so I'm pessimistic.

To cheer me up, I keep watching the above video, as I'm sure MPs are very aware that they're walking a tightrope trying to remain - without losing their seats ????.

3 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

....democracy.....???

...I see a whole population being held hostage....

...only for the biggest connivers to profit at the end....

...shameful.....

...a disgrace....

...another crime against humanity....

You are wrong. The referendum was an opinion poll only. The politicians have the final say. 

Nationalistic attitudes leading to encourage and ignite far right wing violence against minorities is a crime against humanity. It’s also cowardice.

In fact I am willing to bet many remainers didn’t vote in the first referendum skewing the real world opinion. Next time everyone will vote and brexit will be cancelled. 

Moving forward Imigration policies for eu nationals will be renegotiated and revised. Eu financing may become more accountable and the pound sterling will rise against foreign currencies and everyone will be happy except for the far right, putin and other Enemies of the UK.

Archived