'Brexit in peril' as PM May faces heavy defeat

webfact

29 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

My understanding is that a majority of the British People voted to leave the EU. Is that correct?

Which is precisely what the May deal gives us , an exit from the EU.

What is not on offer is the dream deal promised by Farage & co , which was never more than a fantasy. 

If Brexit doesn't happen , or we end up with a disaster of a no deal exit , it will be the fault of a minority who refused to accept reality.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, steve187 said:

not only 17,410,742 but the majority of the people that voted, in the biggest turn out since 1992 in a GE, and the biggest in a referendum ever

correct: listen to the landslide, overwhelming 51,88 % majority, and ignore the 48,11 % loosers.. And all voted for a Hard brexit, whatever the consequenses... 

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The UK can withdraw Art 50 and can later again Submit Art. 50

And YOU think, the other 27 member states will accept ? It's not the 19th century anymore, when British gunships made the choises…  but a just 65 million people country, against 450 mln rest of the EU.

7 hours ago, Youlike said:

The European countries already hired thousands of extra employee's to deal with the custom issues after the Brexit....who's gonna pay them if there 'll be a delay?

The poluter pays, so in this case: the British. A reason the more finally to get rid of them so, throw them out of the EU. 

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

Have wot? Here's what's going on at the moment...

Nigal is ONLY interested in his EU pension: did not skip one meeting about that. But.. with a no deal, why the the remaining EU has to pay that ?

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

May’s surrender agreement looks like it will be kicked out.
No Deal will probably be voted against too. How can they reconcile that with the 29th March date already legislated for?
A short extension to Article 50 would not achieve anything, plus would not easily be agreed by the other 27 EU members. A long extension would have Parliament playing with fire.
So, 18 days and we’re out. Free at last.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Free from what ?  

U go back to the big depression people wont sell GB anything  May quoted that she would lift all import bans what does that do to the local businesses bankrupt

can not compete china will flood the market  end  

a lot of people i know in Uk business markets say end it all go back to europe then we know we will be the same as everybody els put up with it 

Butthatstiff upperlip and goverment chaos  unbeleaveable .

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Very interesting. . . whichever side of the Brexit debate you're on.

We're not in the Euro. Furthermore we have an opt out in perpetuity? The American bloke doesn't understand. 

Should I fast forward? Is anything useful coming up?

BTW we have tariffs to protect against Chinese competition.

10 hours ago, vogie said:

Macron has said he would block an extention "without a clear objective,"

You wouldn't think an increasingly unpopular President after 15 weekends of social upheaval and public insurrection and facing an election would have such an opinion, eh?

10 hours ago, vogie said:

Merkel has said "if Great Britain needs more time we will not oppose it.

You wuldn't think that a seasoned EU politician and technocrat facing a slowing economy while passing off the reigns to a younger, more politically active generation back home would have such and opinion, eh?

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

Free from what ?  

U go back to the big depression people wont sell GB anything  May quoted that she would lift all import bans what does that do to the local businesses bankrupt

can not compete china will flood the market  end  

a lot of people i know in Uk business markets say end it all go back to europe then we know we will be the same as everybody els put up with it 

Butthatstiff upperlip and goverment chaos  unbeleaveable .

Butt hat stiff?

10 hours ago, Loiner said:

May’s surrender agreement looks like it will be kicked out.
No Deal will probably be voted against too. How can they reconcile that with the 29th March date already legislated for?
A short extension to Article 50 would not achieve anything, plus would not easily be agreed by the other 27 EU members. A long extension would have Parliament playing with fire.
So, 18 days and we’re out. Free at last.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

dreaming again

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Those of you who rely on UK income , and welcome a no deal Brexit , had better lump on the 4/1 currently on offer.

With Sterling likely to go into freefall , those winnings will need to sustain you for several years , get on big !

correct,but many wont,some even saying it will rise with a crash out no deal

2 hours ago, puipuitom said:

And YOU think, the other 27 member states will accept ? It's not the 19th century anymore, when British gunships made the choises…  but a just 65 million people country, against 450 mln rest of the EU.

Whether you like it or not.
The European Court of Justice has ruled that the UK is allowed to reverse its withdrawal Art.50 unilateral.
This would leave the UK still in the EU.
Likewise, there would still be the right for the UK to withdraw from the EU again.
From a legal point of view, the Uk could unilaterally effect an extension of at least 2 years.
That is currently applicable EU law.

If all this ends in chaos again the legal reaction of the EU could then be that
a.) a new judgment of the European Court of Justice be obtained, or
b.) an EU exclusion procedure will be opened agains the UK

Re-posting this here...

I was listening to Nicky Campbell on BBC 5 Live earlier, and he was interviewing an Irish EU representative. The conversation went something like this:

Campbell: Why won't the EU budge just a little bit on the backstop so that the deal can get through Parliament?

Irish guy: Because the EU's main priority is to protect it's member states, and the backstop is essential in that

Campbell: But if there is no change to the backstop the deal won't get through Parliament, and we risk a no deal exit

Irish guy: That may be, but we cannot change the backstop because that guarantees a frictionless border

Campbell: But if the UK leaves without a deal how will the border remain frictionless? 

The Irish guy avoided that question. 

So they refuse to tweak the backstop because they want to protect the border arrangements. 

This will result in an immediate withdrawal from the Customs Union on 29th March with no arrangements!  

A massively flawed argument, and I have a hunch the EU will back down at the 11th hour. 

I can't imagine that the current situation is pleasing to anyone. We are loosing valuable businesses, which we probably won't get back. The GBP has already taken a hammering, but that doesn't rule out that worse may come. The bookies views can provide another angle of view, but they encourage no one.

May's deal against the odds, Hard Brexit against the odds, extension hardly a popular alternative. 2nd referendum still polling weakly.

I am puzzled. What happens on 29th March, if a No Deal Brexit is specifically voted out, and then an extension is also. Is this a "Can't leave" and "Can't stay" situation.

Will the government provide us with free transport to the white cliffs so we can all leap off? 

Having watched the Battle of Omdurman as shown above, I now at least understand what war the Brits are referring to when they say "And of course we won the war".

Golly. Such decisiveness. Such heroism. No problems with immigration in those days.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I am puzzled. What happens on 29th March, if a No Deal Brexit is specifically voted out, and then an extension is also. Is this a "Can't leave" and "Can't stay" situation.

Then no-deal is left at the altar. Which is what Hard Brexiteers are quietly banking on.

1 hour ago, Nigel Garvie said:

What happens on 29th March, if a No Deal Brexit is specifically voted out, and then an extension is also.

It's not possible to specifically vote out No Deal, as I understand it. We are legally bound under Article 50 to leave on 29th March as things stand. 

When MPs talk of 'taking No Deal off the table', they mean by getting an extension to Article 50 to prevent a No Deal departure on 29th March. So voting out No Deal and voting for an extension are the same thing. 

If an extension vote is defeated we leave on 29th March, deal or no deal. 

8 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's not possible to specifically vote out No Deal, as I understand it. We are legally bound under Article 50 to leave on 29th March as things stand. 

When MPs talk of 'taking No Deal off the table', they mean by getting an extension to Article 50 to prevent a No Deal departure on 29th March. So voting out No Deal and voting for an extension are the same thing. 

Article 50 is not the issue. That one the UK can withdraw as it likes. The law to leave the EU is the issue if it, despite parliament voting against a no-deal Brexit, cannot be changed in time. 

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Voting out No Deal paves the way for an extension. Spin it any way you want.

Latest: Yes to extension 1/5.

5 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Re-posting this here...

I was listening to Nicky Campbell on BBC 5 Live earlier, and he was interviewing an Irish EU representative. The conversation went something like this:

Campbell: Why won't the EU budge just a little bit on the backstop so that the deal can get through Parliament?

Irish guy: Because the EU's main priority is to protect it's member states, and the backstop is essential in that

Campbell: But if there is no change to the backstop the deal won't get through Parliament, and we risk a no deal exit

Irish guy: That may be, but we cannot change the backstop because that guarantees a frictionless border

Campbell: But if the UK leaves without a deal how will the border remain frictionless? 

The Irish guy avoided that question. 

So they refuse to tweak the backstop because they want to protect the border arrangements. 

This will result in an immediate withdrawal from the Customs Union on 29th March with no arrangements!  

A massively flawed argument, and I have a hunch the EU will back down at the 11th hour. 

Good luck with your imaginary tweak which even the UK Attorney General has failed with so far.

Archived