BANGKOK 19 April 2019 17:24
SurinMel

Building a home in Surin this year. Any tips?

I'm a retired building contractor from USA, marrying a Thai woman from Surin, Isaan. I plan to build a home on the family land near Rattanaburi, and need to familiarize myself with how this is done in that area.

Surin City is our best nearby building materials location, with HomePro and Thai Watsadu outlets, as well as SCG. But we're a long way from Bangkok, so choices seem limited. I plan to use a pre-cut steel frame, AAC concrete exterior wall panels, and in general try to not have any wood where subterranean termites can get at it. 

I'm looking for a supplier for sprayed polyurethane foam wall and ceiling insulation near Surin City.

I'd like to share construction notes with anyone in this area.

• Like 1

The forum at coolthaihouse is a veritable bible for home builders and home owners nationwide.

OK, maybe it's only a treasure trove.

• Like 2

Just remember to have patience. Also know that there is a consumer protection law that dictates what terms shall be in the contract. Regardless you are going to be frustrated as you know what you are doing and the standards here are far different. Get a copy of the builders work permit and passport. Take photos of money exchanges and have builder give you written receipts for each draw. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Oh as far as materials check out Ruangsangthai in Buriram. They have a foreign sals desk with English speaking staff. As always compare prices but Bob at Ruangsangthai will work with you on big orders and they do deliver. They also service and repair most tools they sell.

Are you sure about delivery? Looks like their is 120kms between where the OP is building and the merchants you speak of.

Not sure about the distance but it might be worth exploring if the price difference outweighs any delivery costs.

Posted (edited)

Hi contact Alan the builder, an English lad, Building contractor lives in Surin

www.alanthebuilder.com

<removed contact by PM for contact info>

Edited by ubonjoe
removed email address and phone number (forum rule)

On 3/11/2019 at 7:35 AM, DepDavid said:

Just remember to have patience. Also know that there is a consumer protection law that dictates what terms shall be in the contract. Regardless you are going to be frustrated as you know what you are doing and the standards here are far different. Get a copy of the builders work permit and passport. Take photos of money exchanges and have builder give you written receipts for each draw. Good luck with the build.

Why would a Thai builder need a work permit?  Or a passport for that matter? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2019 at 7:14 AM, robjak said:

Go on the surinfarang forum Surinmel. Alan the builder lives in surin he'll give you some pointers.

And meet some of the most bitter old expats that exist anywhere in Thailand. 

Avoid surinfarang like the plague. 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before you even think about building, raise the land so its higher than anyone else and give it a few months to settle.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:03 AM, SurinMel said:

I plan to use a pre-cut steel frame

I have never seen a steel framed house here, for some reason - most likely as concrete is cheaper - they never use it, I tried to get a builder some years back to use steel supports for a room, but it was too much for him and I didn't have the time to get involved.

I have had a few houses built here, two things to bear in mind, its hot & its noisy, insulation is your friend! good quality windows, preferably double glazed (the delta to heat is not great but they keep out noise & also no sliding doors or windows. AC walls or equivalent and lots of insulation.

Raise the land as above, if the footings are going deeper than the new soil (most likely) there's no need to wait.

Good luck.