Double whammy for Man U fan at the weekend!

webfact

Double whammy for Man U fan at the weekend!

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that a Bangkok woman was furious that staff on an airline only offered her 500 baht after she suffered damage to her loaded bag. 

When her bag appeared at the carousel in Chiang Mai it was smashed in two corners with the wheels hanging off. 

She complained to the counter who said she should have taken out insurance. 

It was discovered from CCTV that the damage was already done on the conveyor at Don Muang airport.

So 500 baht compensation was the best they could do.

She refused this and was told that she should take her bag and contact the call center. 

She was furious that no one took responsibility and gave her a hand at all - she had to drag the bag and throw away the wheels herself.

So she ranted on Facebook. 

Sanook did not name the woman or the airline. 

The only thing that had a name on it was the bag that sported the Manchester United crest. 

The lady's team went down 2-0 to Arsenal on Sunday night to complete a miserable weekend!

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-11

Wheels so far out from the body of the suitcase are asking for trouble when you see how they are thrown into the loading bins . Also getting caught up on the conveyor can rip the wheels off .

Maybe she should have bought a better quality case, rather than a cheap plastic piece of junk.

I had a wheel fall off a case of mine, it was junked the next day.

It was 14 years old and had made enough trips to fill 3 passports.

Me and my thai wife were in a hotel, the staff brought our luggage inside but had broken the handle of my wife's fake Samsonite suitcase by just lifting it.

Immediately they offered to buy us a new suitcase, which arrived next days.

She was very ashamed that she had a fake suitcase plus a thai passport.

Travelled by Bangkok Airways from Samui to Bangkok.  When we recovered our baggage from the conveyor belt one corner had been damaged so badly that there was a large split from the corner of the case around the handle.  We took it to Bangkok Airways Office in Bangkok and they immediately replaced the suitcase and I must admit it was a better one than the original damaged one. Thank you Bangkok Airways!

48 minutes ago, Fred31 said:

And how exactly is that relevant.?

humour
/ˈhjuːmə/

noun
noun: humor
  1. 1.
    the quality of being amusing or comic, especially as expressed in literature or speech.

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

Me and my thai wife were in a hotel, the staff brought our luggage inside but had broken the handle of my wife's fake Samsonite suitcase by just lifting it.

Oh the shame lol lol ???? I hope you took the opportunity to shame her further and mercilessly lol lol ???? 

32 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Travelled by Bangkok Airways from Samui to Bangkok.  When we recovered our baggage from the conveyor belt one corner had been damaged so badly that there was a large split from the corner of the case around the handle.  We took it to Bangkok Airways Office in Bangkok and they immediately replaced the suitcase and I must admit it was a better one than the original damaged one. Thank you Bangkok Airways!

The same kind of thing happened to me with a Rimowa aluminium suitcase on Kenya Airways in East Africa. When I picked up my case in Kampala, the wheel had been completely removed from the body.

In case you are not familiar with  German Rimowa brand aluminium suitcases -  they are quite indestructable. I have used them all over Africa - yes, they get scratches and dents but they never break.

In addition, the wheel units are held onto the case body with rivets. No dropping the case will do this. This has to be either wilful or intentional damage. I think that someone was trying to make it look like the case was damaged when they were actually looking to steal something from it. Even then, the case is lined with material and so stuff does not just fall out through the hole.

Kenya Airways offered me $20 per kilo weight for the damage. As it was, the case and its contents only amounted to 12 kilos checked in and so I was only offered $240 - since the case cost about $1,500 dollars new, this was very short. And as I was travelling on business, I was flying business class. Probably would have been offered nothing if I were in Economy.

I wanted to sue them but I was living in Kampala at the time and do not have the life expectancy to see such a court case through to its conclusion. I took the money but then Kenya Airways wanted to keep the case! I eventually walked out the door dragging the case with me and the money in my hand with someone screetching behind me to bring it back.

It turned out that this was a very good move. Rimowa was able to repair the case perfectly well - that is the beauty of Rimowa - you can always get parts and repairs if you have access to a repair centre. I found one in London.

The case is still putting in time and working perfectly well. For all those people who think that $1,500 is too much to pay for a suitcase, my two Rimowas are still going after 10 and 9 years apiece of very heavy frequent travel in all sorts of dodgy airports with no break-ins (they have built-in solid locks) - they are even waterproof as they seal when closed.

I had the same situation on my American Tourister bag while travelling with Air India.  The wheel had come off.  Air India baggage handler at the carosel told me that they do not entertain any complaints about broken wheels and handles.  Tough luck.  Read airlines baggage policy before buying the ticket.  Some are good and some airlines are terrible.

On a flight back from Sydney, Australia with Thai Airlines we took our bags off the carousel at CM and both wheels were broken on the biggest bag.

Went to the local Thai Aiways Office  and were  told to get it fixed & they would pay.Mr Bag did the job ,around 800 baht .

Gave the receipt to Thai Airlines they paid us in cash. Was pointed out by thai airways that the bag handlers at CM are not employed by Thai Aiways, staff are out sourced.Obviously it could have happend in Sydney/ Bangkok or CM but Thai Airways accepted responsibilty.

Can't ask for more than that

1 hour ago, Proboscis said:

The same kind of thing happened to me with a Rimowa aluminium suitcase on Kenya Airways in East Africa. When I picked up my case in Kampala, the wheel had been completely removed from the body.

In case you are not familiar with  German Rimowa brand aluminium suitcases -  they are quite indestructable. I have used them all over Africa - yes, they get scratches and dents but they never break.

In addition, the wheel units are held onto the case body with rivets. No dropping the case will do this. This has to be either wilful or intentional damage. I think that someone was trying to make it look like the case was damaged when they were actually looking to steal something from it. Even then, the case is lined with material and so stuff does not just fall out through the hole.

Kenya Airways offered me $20 per kilo weight for the damage. As it was, the case and its contents only amounted to 12 kilos checked in and so I was only offered $240 - since the case cost about $1,500 dollars new, this was very short. And as I was travelling on business, I was flying business class. Probably would have been offered nothing if I were in Economy.

I wanted to sue them but I was living in Kampala at the time and do not have the life expectancy to see such a court case through to its conclusion. I took the money but then Kenya Airways wanted to keep the case! I eventually walked out the door dragging the case with me and the money in my hand with someone screetching behind me to bring it back.

It turned out that this was a very good move. Rimowa was able to repair the case perfectly well - that is the beauty of Rimowa - you can always get parts and repairs if you have access to a repair centre. I found one in London.

The case is still putting in time and working perfectly well. For all those people who think that $1,500 is too much to pay for a suitcase, my two Rimowas are still going after 10 and 9 years apiece of very heavy frequent travel in all sorts of dodgy airports with no break-ins (they have built-in solid locks) - they are even waterproof as they seal when closed.

Yawn, snore !!!!!

3 hours ago, Fred31 said:

And how exactly is that relevant.?

Oh, dear - you're not British, are you?

One of the suitcases bears the 'Manchester United' football slogan.

the 'Wolves' are presumably Wolverhampton FC.

You can take your choice of two Liverpool FCs  if you so wish.

And I'm British - but a life-long hater of football.

There you go. Learn something new everyday!

I usually fly SWA between Kansas City and LAX for my BKK flight departures.  On its second return flight to Thailand, I had my High Sierra 29" wheeled duffle damaged by Southwest Airlines ground crew between the check-in at KC and the carousel at LAX.  The tube steel frame was so severely bent that I couldn't extend the pull handle.  SWA customer service at LAX refused me any compensation saying that extendable pull handles are not covered under their baggage damage policy.  When I argued that being that the bent steel frame was the initial damage, the extendable handle exclusion should not relieve them of responsibility for damage.  All my points fell on deaf ears. It wasn't very convenient navigating 3 wheeled bags, 2 by there extended handles and 1 which was broken for the completion of the trip and my subsequent return.

They smashed mine on the same route Air Asia.  Luckily i accidentally bought the insurance only for this route-the only time in my life.  I was mad I got the insurance when I made the mistake ????. I got about 1/3 of what it was worth.  Lots of paperwork and there is a deductible minus the age of the bag, and a receipt is necessary, so not really worth it

Best advice I received was from a former Harrods luggage buyer. He simply advised me never to buy luxury brand luggage unless I was only ever going to place them into a car boot. Just buy hardwearing and inexpensive alternatives. The Man U case looks too cheap.

I came inbound one time on the Etihad - BKK - HKT (Phuket operated by Bangkok Airways) flight, case had been damaged (handle ripped off) it was an American Tourister hard case, emailed Etihad who said under the arrangements responsibility lies with last carrier (BKK Air) emailed them with pics of damage and bag tags/borading passes etc, they agreed compen of 5000Baht no probs

I said it was a hard case, bought a replacement handle for $6 off Fleabay drilled and fitted it with two 6mm bolts and is still going strong several years later (case is about 12 years old) case in OP is dirt cheap plastic crap what did she expect, dont think MUFC have approved that POS in their lines lol

On 3/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, AlexRich said:

Best advice I received was from a former Harrods luggage buyer. He simply advised me never to buy luxury brand luggage unless I was only ever going to place them into a car boot. Just buy hardwearing and inexpensive alternatives. The Man U case looks too cheap.

Second that. The rigid shell plastic bags are susceptible to impact damage (e.g. when the corner of another bag lands on top of it). All the broken bags (other than wheels and handles) i have seen have been plastic. Best to get soft shell bags with a tough fabric, and wrap breakable items inside. My last bag lasted 10 years, handle ripped off after two (because 30 kilos inside), refused compensation so i just fixed using wire and strimmer line to refix handle. Only dumped last trip because i swapped to a lighter bag (age and injury means me lifting 30 kilos is now out of the question). It was part of a 3 bag set and other 2 still going strong, cost me about 30 GBP for the set ..... Also baggage handlers do not target cheap luggage for theft ....

On 3/11/2019 at 1:42 PM, Youlike said:

Shame is a learned behavior from childhood and the society expectation on behavior.

I don't really see why your wife was "very ashamed that she had a fake suitcase plus a thai passport." Who cares about a fake suitcase?

By the way this learned behavior(i.e. shame) can be unlearn so that you wouldn't be disturb by this unwanted distress.

Archived