Video: Brake failure again: 18 injured as pick-up goes through red light

webfact

Video: Brake failure again: 18 injured as pick-up goes through red light

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Brake failure has been blamed again for the latest serious accident. 

CCTV from a t-junction in Phattalung in Thailand's south on Saturday showed a white Toyota pick-up go through a red light and plow into a black pick-up making a turn. 

Many young people on their way to a concert were dumped on the tarmac as the Toyota overturned. 

Sanook said their were 18 injuries.

Most were seen walking away from the devastation, however. 

Prawit, 39, the driver of the vehicle carrying the concert goers blamed brake failure. 

The accident happened on the Asia Highway near the bus station in Phattalung. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-11

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another driver who cannot tell the truth, brake failure, my a++e.

Check the video, clown was going fast towards a red light, made no attempt to avoid the other pickup, probably never saw the red light or the other pickup.

Hope he was checked for drink/ drugs, and phone records checked.

Travelling far too fast, truck turning right making it difficult for the black ute to see what traffic was coming on its otherside, green light or not, the black ute driver should have proceeded with caution, as green doesn't necessarily say your safe to go, go with caution. Not blaming the black ute driver at all, but accident could have been avoided if he proceeded with caution, then had time to stop, but nope, he had his blinkers on as usual.

The guy in the white should lose his license for 3 years for having so many people in his ute at one time, then book him heavily for speeding and over carrying people. 

Literally no attempt to slow down. If you felt the brakes failing you would know long before as they don't just instantly fail.

I feel for the victims here, the pickup driver should banged up and have all his money and possessions taken to pay for the damage and medical costs. 100% driver error, the brake failure excuse is just pathetic

fed up by "brake failure"

brake failure - if not proven true should be punished by compulsory jail term straight from the site of the accident and lifetime loss of driving license. Because it shows either dihonesty or incompetence probably  both.

Are they not aware that Thailand is world champion in brake failure 8- caused by ...)

Am I missing something here. 

Maybe I've been in this country for too long.

You get fined for not wearing a seat belt inside the pickup, but its ok to cram a dozen or so in the back, with only their arse to keep them inside. :crazy: 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

green light or not, the black ute driver should have proceeded with caution, as green doesn't necessarily say your safe to go, go with caution.

so at every green light we have to slow down and be prepared to stop, just in case some dick, to or harry decides not to stop at a red light, traffic all over the country would grind to a halt.

and then you say 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Not blaming the black ute driver at all,

1 minute ago, steve187 said:

so at every green light we have to slow down and be prepared to stop, just in case some dick, to or harry decides not to stop at a red light, traffic all over the country would grind to a halt.

Mate, do as you like, I personally do not put my life in the hands of a green light.

How many people have been killed by other drivers running the red around the world, suffice to say, one needs to proceed with caution, but up to you as the Thai's say, works for me, saved me on many occasions, remember half the Thai's here are not licensed or registered or insured, so need to take extra care IMO, just saying, but go green without care if you like, no skin of me ????

I think all cars these days have a dual braking system, that means that you can only lose half the cars braking system, No such thing as total failure that combined with computer controlled anti-lockup makes all these 'brake failure' seem pretty poor!

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Check the video, clown was going fast towards a red light, made no attempt to avoid the other pickup, probably never saw the red light or the other pickup.

And if it was "Brake Failure" Why the hell did the MOT not pick it up....The driver or the garage is at fault. About time sub-standard cars were taken off the road and crushed along with their drivers!!

For all farangs who drive aggressively: Commit this line to memory as it will absolve you of responsibility for your actions and it's an accepted excuse by the Thai police.  Repeat: "My brakes failed."  Now your good a gold.  Drive anyway you wish.  You're covered. 

Brake failure my a**e ! It is normal Thai practice to go straight through red lights, and I have seen as many as 5 vehicles going through after the red light came on, one after the other. A major cause of serious accidents

but we are not going to see any dramatic change in our lifetime ????

6 hours ago, z42 said:

Literally no attempt to slow down. If you felt the brakes failing you would know long before as they don't just instantly fail.

I feel for the victims here, the pickup driver should banged up and have all his money and possessions taken to pay for the damage and medical costs. 100% driver error, the brake failure excuse is just pathetic

Actually, the other day while driving at 20 kph, touched my brakes to avoid a motorcyclist, felt a small thump from under the bonnet area, and when I put my foot on the brakes again, immediately solid the master cylinder and pump had both stopped working, went home at a verey judicious 20 kph and this morning took it in to get repaired.

So brakes can just fail , not normally agreed, but possible > 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

More importantly, will he be checked for a brown envelope!

Not again .Thailand has got to do something about inspecting vehicles for working Brakes,???? there seem to be a big problem with All vehicles in Thailand with there Brakes ..... Maybe the Weather? Wouldn't be lack of Maintenance surely ? Couldn't be the drivers, Thai drivers are Well educated and have to Pass a vigorous driving test before they can get a License  and they Wouldn't lie they are to Honest. 

What the Hell, Bullshit .   ????  

Another day,another case of brake failure, I don't believe him

and i hope the police are also not taken in by his blatant lie,

the police need to test his brakes,and charge him with lying

too,it's very lucky that was not a lot more serious accident.

regards worgeordie

10 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Another day,another case of brake failure, I don't believe him

and i hope the police are also not taken in by his blatant lie,

the police need to test his brakes,and charge him with lying

too,it's very lucky that was not a lot more serious accident.

regards worgeordie

I remember awhile back when TV had a video of some women failing to stop at a red light.  She did brake at the last second before smashing into a a vehicle with the green light and she locked up the brakes and left tire marks on the pavement where she locked up the brakes.  She claimed 'brake-failure.'   So I can only assume that 'brake-failure' will always be accepted by the Thai police as a valid excuse even if video evidence shows otherwise.  Which is why I said, if ever in the same situation - claim brake failure and never admit fault.  When in Rome...

11 hours ago, Chassa said:

I think all cars these days have a dual braking system, that means that you can only lose half the cars braking system, No such thing as total failure that combined with computer controlled anti-lockup makes all these 'brake failure' seem pretty poor!

Spot-on 100% with that .. 

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Not a brake failure. Just a failure to tell the truth. When you have kids on the back of your truck, something that would never be allowed in the West, the very least you could do is try to drive with extreme care. 

Where I live in the USA (Virginia), riding in the back is OK for anyone 16 years of age or more.  Maryland is similar.

7 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Where I live in the USA (Virginia), riding in the back is OK for anyone 16 years of age or more.  Maryland is similar.

I should have wrote "civilised Europe" ... I only thought that went on in places in the US where people play duelling banjos?

Archived