Ban Chiang & Ubon cave paintings

thaibook

We (Thai wife and myself) are planning to drive from Chieng Mai to visit Ban Chiang, the cave paintings near Ubon and then onto BKK via Sisaket for the flower blossom (if still in bloom).  We would welcome any advice on other points of interest, where to stay near the main objectives and recommended places to eat.  We shall leave on Monday and arrive in Bangkok on Friday night or Saturday.  

We really enjoyed our stay at Khong Chiam Orchid Riverside Resort, which isn't too far from Pha Taem (the national park with the cave drawings). The Sang Chan Waterfall was pretty cool too, but I guess during the dry season might not be worth while (I'd hate for you to drive an hour out of your way to see a dry riverbed).

3 hours ago, thaibook said:

Thank you Seth.  Do you live in Ubon?  If so any places to eat you would recommend (Thai or farang)?

Yeah! I live in town, so I think an hour and a half from Pha Taem. There are lots of places I'd recommend here in town! If you're feeling pizza, go for Spago (great Italian brick oven pizza). If you want a western breakfast, I'd go with Pepper's. My favorite for Mexican or burgers is the Outside Inn (which I haven't ever stayed at, but I think would probably be a great place to stay if you're spending a night in town; the owner is a super friendly and helpful American guy). If you want a nice restaurant with a huuuge variety of Thai food, Zaap Soi 9 is really good. If you need any other recommendations, let me know! The list goes on. So let me know if you have a specific type of food you're lookin for.

Thank you for the advice.  Things did not quite turn out as i had thought and we were unable to go to any of them.  We spent two days getting to Ubon, Thai style, via Khon Kaen, Kalasin where no one had heard of the museum, the regional museum not the dinosaur one to which we went, Roi-et, and Sisaket where hardly any of the lamduan trees were still in bloom.  We did however find a very good noodle shop - which also produces good dried/pickled mango from their own orchard, and from there to Ubon.  We ended up staying two nights at the Yuu hotel near the walking street market and driving out to the national park early in the morning but not early enough to see the sunrise.  We visited all four of the painting sites and had dinner of river fish at the spot the two rivers (Mekong and Mun) meet.  Of course in Ubon we had to buy lots of neem to give and the car air-conditioning gave out almost as soon as we left on the way back to BKK.  All in all quite enjoyable.  

Archived