The Ten rules for the Thai election! No booze is just one of them

webfact

The Ten rules for the Thai election! No booze is just one of them

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTUzNy83Njg3MjYyL3RuLTEwLWVsZWN0aW9uLWZvcmJpZGRlbi5qcGc=.jpg

Sanook published ten rules to be followed for the upcoming general election on March 24th.

Rule Number 7 refers to one that many foreigners living in Thailand will be familiar with:

There is no alcohol to be sold from 6pm on Saturday 23rd to 6pm on election day.

(This ban is also in place from 6pm on 16th to 6pm 17th March. Pre-voting will take place on the 17th for those unable to vote in their home provinces).

Here are the nine other "Don'ts" some of which may be news to the foreign community. Penalties where mentioned are also included. These may be more severe if the person committing the offence is a candidate or the party itself. 

1. No polls are allowed to be done in the seven days leading up to the election. Penalty 3 months jail/6,000 baht.

2. No vote buying. One to 10 years/20,000 - 200,000 baht fines. 

3. No foreigners helping with the election. Only Thais allowed. One to 10 years/20,000 - 200,000 baht fines. 

4. No state officials to show partiality. One to 10 years/20,000 - 200,000 baht fines. 

5. No people to be prevented from voting. One to 10 years/20,000 - 200,000 baht fines. 

6. No deliberate damage to ballot papers. 5 years/100,000 baht fines. 

7. The alcohol ban.

8. No betting on the result. 1-5 years/20,000-100,000 baht (up to 10 years, 200,000 for parties themselves)

9. No electioneering from 6 pm on 23rd to midnight on 24th. 6,000 - 10,000 baht fines.

10. No mention of the Royal Family, no leafleting, no bad language, no payments related to cultural activities. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-11

3 hours ago, webfact said:

3. No foreigners helping with the election. Only Thais allowed. One to 10 years/20,000 - 200,000 baht fines. 

No problem there.  The Mrs will vote for Prayut.  Her vote.  I don't even discuss it with her.
The step-kids?  Probably Future Forward.  Their vote.  I don't even discuss it with them.
Me.  Well, if Thailand embrace Democratic principles and allowed non-citizens to vote, I know who I'd vote for.  But - mum's the word.  There is no pro-non-citizen, legal immigrant, illegal immigrant lobby in this country.  Why bother with the intellectual exercise in futility.  <laughs>  :whistling:

2 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

No. 8. No betting on the result allowed is just hilarious.

What bookie in his right mind would give you odds worth having a punt.

The outcome is already set in stone.  

so where are the "bookies" in thailand??????

18 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so where are the "bookies" in thailand??????

Just like in any country were the state crushes citizen's rights to gamble.  Where legal gambling is not allowed, bookies flourish. 

Is this Thailand we are reading about - or an African banana republic with a self-declared Emperor giving election instructions like the one who proclaimed being the Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, Conqueror of the Empire on his continent in General and his Banana Republic in particular. Just asking ....... 

4 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

No. 8. No betting on the result allowed is just hilarious.

What bookie in his right mind would give you odds worth having a punt.

The outcome is already set in stone.  

OK, I'll bite. 

What do you think is the outcome of the election? Then we'll see if your "set in stone" prediction proves to be true. 

Rooster

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"No questioning that Prayut won- legally, legitimately and fairly!!!"

"No questioning of ballot counting!!!"

"No questioning of the ballot box's timely disappearance and reappearance!!!"

"No questioning of extra ballots!!!"

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

1st%20projection%20election%20Thailand%2

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Is this Thailand we are reading about - or an African banana republic with a self-declared Emperor giving election instructions like the one who proclaimed being the Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, Conqueror of the Empire on his continent in General and his Banana Republic in particular. Just asking ....... 

555, Thai banana republic with a self declared Prime minister, commander of the forces & self proclaimed *&^% you have summed the situation up well ????

3 hours ago, connda said:

No problem there.  The Mrs will vote for Prayut.  Her vote.  I don't even discuss it with her.
The step-kids?  Probably Future Forward.  Their vote.  I don't even discuss it with them.
Me.  Well, if Thailand embrace Democratic principles and allowed non-citizens to vote, I know who I'd vote for.  But - mum's the word.  There is no pro-non-citizen, legal immigrant, illegal immigrant lobby in this country.  Why bother with the intellectual exercise in futility.  <laughs>  :whistling:

My Mrs too.  I don't think the red vote is as strong in deepest darkest Isaan as the TVF pundits like to believe

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Noted omission - "No military intervention or influencing allowed" :shock1:

i

This is the kind of thing we all have cynical ideas about.  Good if any hard evidence of soldiers being told by their officers how they should vote became an open issue.  And army being stationed at all voting stations is unusual in most countries.  As is 60 days being needed to verify the result.

Once the results are in it may be that challenges to the result can be made, if not within these borders, then as something of International interest.  Thailand will want to look its best for another forthcoming event.

Yes, I know.....

Archived