Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

He will have been out of the country too long to get NHS treatment. They aren't fools, "who is your family doctor", "who referred you to us", ''what's your address". I have known two guys who have gone down that path, you end up paying double the normal cost of NHS treatment.

Just an honest, curious question.  What does a foreigner who comes into the UK via the Calais tunnel pay as compared to a British citizen who has lived out of country for a number of year.  Is there any difference.  I'd expect the immigrate would need to pay more than a native-born citizen. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

good point.  why doesn't America or the UK pick up the tab for it's expats here.  what would the equivalent treatment cost there?  problem is that to be eligible for Medicare you have to be 65+ in the States. not sure about the UK but i think everyone is covered by the NIH?

1 hour ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

I sympathise with him over the cancer, we all walk a tightrope when it comes to that.  However it is time to get on a plane and go back to Blighty. In the long run it would be the best thing for him and his family in Thailand.  Don't put them through the trauma and anguish of nursing you when struggling with money.

1 hour ago, boloa said:

I think the Go Fund Me page was set up by a friend without Kev's knowledge. kev has said he has the money to pay for his treatment and has taken full responsibility to why he has no insurance. ....Know doubt the haters will be out in force on this thread !!!!

Maybe the go fund me page was set up by a friend so that they can all get pissed once kev is out? Post #4 mentions that there's an account "buykevabeer" out there, perhaps it needs topping up?

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Don't get it. why not simply fly back home and get it for free ? If it costs a 'million' baht, then i'm sure a friend would let him stay for half of that whilst he visited the hospital. Go fund my lifestyle page ? 

Isn't there a rule that if you are classed as 'not ordinarily a resident of the UK' then you cannot use the NHS for free? Initial Emergency treatment is free for all nationalities but I am not sure after living abroad for x number of years you can just rock up and expect treatment for chronic or acute conditions. I know they have tightened up on women who flew in to use the NHS maternity wards and then flew back  (or used the baby to apply for leave to remain) . If this is cancer then for cancer treatment to begin he wouldn't have to have a GP who would provide the initial referral for treatment to start and also i'd expect the waiting times to be in the months not weeks. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, connda said:

Just an honest, curious question.  What does a foreigner who comes into the UK via the Calais tunnel pay as compared to a British citizen who has lived out of country for a number of year.  Is there any difference.  I'd expect the immigrate would need to pay more than a native-born citizen. 

Depends whether the guy was granted asylum. If so they would probably get the same

treatment as a citizen.

2 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

I watched is video on YouTube yesterday. He was contrite, took responsibility for his decision to defer getting insurance and at no point asked for money. The report in this thread says someone else set up the GoFundMe. Maybe he knew about it, maybe he does not. Maybe he is happy to accept the money. We do not know.

But what struck me on YouTube was that almost all the comments were commiserating with him about the cancer and offering moral support. Ok this thread is not a direct response to him but there is precious little compassion for someone with cancer here

Well..moral support...

I was stricken with cancer but I did not ask for any financial support,.

Actually an American friend offered $5,000 dollars and a Dutch friend offered3,000 Euros..both of which I declined upon the the premise that "How can I repay you if I am dead?"

I had private health insurance but,basically,the blades of the scissors had closed..

I still can't understand this GoFundMe thing..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

am not as old as he is, but I have insurance. I would be ashamed to have to put my hand out on a go fund me, or other money raising effort.

I also have insurance, but, and it is a big BUT. when you get to a certain age, about 65, more so 75, it becomes completely unaffordable 

It has been posted on here numerous times that insurance cost is something like 5000 to 10000 baht per week and  excludes any pre existing conditions so probably out of reach to the majority of expats.

To be honest when he got to sixty he would of probably decided to self insure once he saw the costs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, connda said:

No idea, I don't make the laws.

Besides insurance, some "preventative maintenance" would have been a good idea; and still would be. Stuff like regular exercise, Intermittent Fasting (IF), a Whole Food Plant Based (WFPB) diet, etc. These things don't cost anything and they can even help reverse many chronic diseases. It's not rocket science. You only live once. 

Good luck to you Ken. Wishing you a speedy recovery.  

• Like 2