Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

48 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

He will have been out of the country too long to get NHS treatment. They aren't fools, "who is your family doctor", "who referred you to us", ''what's your address". I have known two guys who have gone down that path, you end up paying double the normal cost of NHS treatment.

Most doctors simply don't ask and don't care, I'm still on my old doctors list after 10 years of living in other places.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

Absoutely correct.  It is waht I would do if I was as unfortunate as he is.  A no brainer really.

The first thing I did when I retired and arrived here in Thailand back in 2003 at age 57 was to immediately take out health insurance cover with the then BUPA Blue Cross, (Now Aetna) who guaranteed to cover me for life by taking out my policy before I was 60.  Absolutley stupid not to do that for anyone intending to retire and live here.  Even so my cover would not fund all that is required for something like chemotherapy or heart surgery, as I only get cover for say the first 500K Baht or 1 Million baht depending on your level of insurance cover (and mine costs me over 70K Baht a year which is as much as I can afford) .  So something major like serious cancer then I would have to return to the UK where I worked and paid my NHS stamp all my life and indeed still pay UK income tax on my pension.  

I would only consider donating to such a Go Fund Me appeal if the recipient was really broke and could not afford the air fair back to the UK and also had no family or friends that could help support him.  I have little spare cash for such expensive airfare but would first ask for help from my family and friends if I really needed my airfare covered, and then would probably stay with family over in the UK whilst having treatment (and pay them for my keep too of course).

I wish this guy all the very best and hope he gets on to the road to recovery promptly and as painlessly as possible.  None of us are invincible and all subject to getting these diseases especially as we get into our final years.  Enjoy your life whilst you can is the best advice anyone can give you and hope that is for many many years yet to come.  You can help that by avoiding known life shorteners like smoking tobacco and excessive alcohol drinking. 

If you must smoke use e-cigarettes but they are stupidly illegal here and I believe the only country in the World that has such a stupid law.  Fortunately I gave up all smoking 36 years ago and now drink very little, so do not need e-cigarettes.  Despite the stupid law here, e-cigarettes are as we all know, and by the scientific evidence too, far far safer than tobacco.  However, as guests here we do need to obey the laws of our hosts of course, even silly ones such as this, as that is of course essential. We should and can though help fight to try and get this astonishingly silly misguided law changed ASAP, but I leave that to all those adversely affected by it.

Edited by rayw
Typos and other corrections
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

There is no such thing as “...free treatment”   I really don’t understand why some people think that “free” medical care exists. There is no such thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have found this information from the goverment website, it would appear what you are saying is not entirely correct.N Health care is based on you being an ordinary resident, and you can be classed as an ordinary resident from day one of your arrival back to the UK, just as long you can convince them that you are back to stay.

Please let me know what you think as I think it is a handy bit of info to know.

Ordinary residence tool
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/.../Ordinary_residence_tool.pdf

Screenshot_2019-03-11-15-46-33-409.jpeg

Yes true enough but it's not that easy. A friend went down that road. First he was billed for 125,000 pounds, he went to the citizens advice where he was told he would be given a credit for that amount ie he wouldn't have to pay anything if he could satisfy the authorities that he was back in the UK permanently. So he paid the estate agents fee and rented a flat, paid council tax, kept his utility bills, was put on the voting register, opened a UK bank account etc. He said it was a costly nightmare (Inland revenue also showed an interest in him) but cheaper than paying 125 grand, after 6 months I believe he was back in Thailand more the wiser about his 'rights' as a British citizen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

That would indeed be the best course of action. Not like he is unable to fly. And with this diagnosis NHS is nto going to refuse him care.

I am no medical expert, but cancer is usually slow would a week or two weeks make a lot difference ?

Just now, Sheryl said:

That would indeed be the best course of action. Not like he is unable to fly. And with this diagnosis NHS is nto going to refuse him care.

No but they will bill him for it, you have to be a permanent resident in the UK for free treatment........or a refugee.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Isn't there a rule that if you are classed as 'not ordinarily a resident of the UK' then you cannot use the NHS for free? Initial Emergency treatment is free for all nationalities but I am not sure after living abroad for x number of years you can just rock up and expect treatment for chronic or acute conditions. I know they have tightened up on women who flew in to use the NHS maternity wards and then flew back  (or used the baby to apply for leave to remain) . If this is cancer then for cancer treatment to begin he wouldn't have to have a GP who would provide the initial referral for treatment to start and also i'd expect the waiting times to be in the months not weeks. 

Not true.  I lived overseas for many years but moved back to the UK ten years ago now.  I have used the NHS regularly since then.  Also any "symptoms" relating to cancer are seen within 14 days.  I speak from personal experience (seen within 4 days) although luckily my symptoms were found to be a non malignant cyst.

Having said that it may depend on where in the country he ends up.  Some areas are better catered for than others.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Yes true enough but it's not that easy. A friend went down that road. First he was billed for 125,000 pounds, he went to the citizens advice where he was told he would be given a credit for that amount ie he wouldn't have to pay anything if he could satisfy the authorities that he was back in the UK permanently. So he paid the estate agents fee and rented a flat, paid council tax, kept his utility bills, was put on the voting register, opened a UK bank account etc. He said it was a costly nightmare (Inland revenue also showed an interest in him) but cheaper than paying 125 grand, after 6 months I believe he was back in Thailand more the wiser about his 'rights' as a British citizen

We don't know what your friend said to authorities, I suppose some people are more convincing than others. Suffice to say I have two friends that live on the same housing estate as me and they regularely go back to the UK for treatment with no bother whatsoever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

What on earth was his logic in that? Had he enrolled for health insurance before 60, the starting premiums would in all probability have been less than by leaving doing this until afterwards.

There is no logic in it, of course.  It is a disingenuous comment trying to avoid embarrassing himself because of the position he finds himself in.  There is no cut off point which says we are healthy until the age of 60, and only then may be afflicted with a "dread disease".  

Nevertheless, it would be churlish not to wish him well, and God speed.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most doctors simply don't ask and don't care, I'm still on my old doctors list after 10 years of living in other places.

My doctor must be dead by now, I left the UK 47 years ago. Incidentally the UK has the worst record for cancer treatment in Europe, if you have to pay for it in the end try Spain or CZ, very good and cheap apparently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Possibly reasonble..

However,in a similar situation I quietly paid up and went home..

Many thanks to my Thai wife and family amd many members of ThaiVisa who supported me as I struggled to get home under my own steam.

Many thanks to my home country (Australia) which has looked after me on my return.

I am a trifle bemused by all this Go Fund Me stuff..

As always things are not straightforward. Anyone under pension age has to return to the UK for 6 mths before they are entitled to routine NHS treatment. Pensioners are entitled straight off. He would be entitled to free emergency treatment (eg heart attack) as are even foreign visitors. Some people stay registered with a GP even when abroad (using a UK address) and this would probably get round the problem. This information is as things were a few years back it could all be different now.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, vogie said:

I have found this information from the goverment website, it would appear what you are saying is not entirely correct.N Health care is based on you being an ordinary resident, and you can be classed as an ordinary resident from day one of your arrival back to the UK, just as long you can convince them that you are back to stay.

Please let me know what you think as I think it is a handy bit of info to know.

Ordinary residence tool
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/.../Ordinary_residence_tool.pdf

Screenshot_2019-03-11-15-46-33-409.jpeg

You are 100% correct.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Expatwannabee said:

As always things are not straightforward. Anyone under pension age has to return to the UK for 6 mths before they are entitled to routine NHS treatment. Pensioners are entitled straight off. He would be entitled to free emergency treatment (eg heart attack) as are even foreign visitors. Some people stay registered with a GP even when abroad (using a UK address) and this would probably get round the problem. This information is as things were a few years back it could all be different now.

incorrect, even pensioners have to be permanent residents now. Emergency treatment ie heart attack would still be treated free of charge but forget about a heart transplant or a pacemaker for free.

• Like 1

In the UK he would be charged 150% of the cost, probably not much cheaper added to that he is cashed up I believe after selling his graphics business in the UK and last year a house in Spain, he can afford it. Ironically he has become another Grahame Briar who he supported in his lies last year, he's not asking for donation directly for treatment though. I hope he gives up smoking.