BANGKOK 26 May 2019 06:17
webfact

Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

Posted (edited)

I think he now is broke and out of money. So I am now positive to his GFM account.

I was a bit Big mouth before because someone Wrote He was fulloaded and had properties, car and savings. That was just bullshit I think.

So I like to say sorry for that.

Edited by Greenriver
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Actually there is one thing I never have understood with the vloggers in Thailand.

They often post videos about how to live in Thailand. Renting condo 15000-20 000b, Electricity, breakfast. Yes cheap breakfast 99 B, dont Buy it for 149 B cause that is so expencive. And You have all the talk about the currency Exchange rates. And for Gods sake dont Buy Beer for 60 B when You Can Buy for 55 B and so on. Do This and do that..   

So They need hundred thoudands of bahts because They forget insurance. Or »forgot».....Actually the most important! 

But living is learning. We all learn every day, and so do the vloggers.

Edited by Greenriver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greenriver said:

Actually there is one thing I never have understood with the vloggers in Thailand.

They often post videos about how to live in Thailand. Renting condo 15000-20 000b, Electricity, breakfast. Yes cheap breakfast 99 B, dont Buy it for 149 B cause that is so expencive. And You have all the talk about the currency Exchange rates. And for Gods sake dont Buy Beer for 60 B when You Can Buy for 55 B and so on. Do This and do that..   

So They need hundred thoudands of bahts because They forget insurance. Or »forgot».....Actually the most important! 

But living is learning. We all learn every day, and so do the vloggers.

Penny wise, pound foolish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I think he now is broke and out of money. So I am now positive to his GFM account.

I was a bit Big mouth before because someone Wrote He was fulloaded and had properties, car and savings. That was just bullshit I think.

So I like to say sorry for that.

A lot of people are poor and diagnosed with cancer.  Where are their GoFundMe accounts and sympathy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

everyday, some farlang are the total opposite of local folks, but they live in their own little worlds.

example.  when you visit the Aetna office in the city of Chiangmai they have many cancer insurance offers all over the place.  doesn't my inpatient coverage include cancer?  'yes, it does but the Thai people like to also buy extra insurance for cancer'.  and most would never even go without inpatient cover even if they have paid up Social Security cards... me when I taught at a Thai university, still kept BUPA paid up on top of that for sure and I was in my 40's not trying to keep my insurance for old age.  yeah, plus it expires as soon as you stop the school stuff.

and here we have a Brit with no insurance at all.  just a coincidence at home it would not be a worry for him. 

but somehow ended up in Thailand.  or that's how I read this, yes?

Edited by WeekendRaider

... and here we have a Brit with no insurance at all.

Which is fine if you choose to self-insure and have adequate savings.  But savings of a few hundred thousand baht isn't going to 'cut it' if you have a serious illness or accident.

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2019 at 5:11 PM, smudger1951 said:

If you do not live in the uk for three years i think you lose your entitlement to nhs sevices.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:19 PM, oyster said:

O>K> so lets step back and take an objective view

1. Cancer is anaerobic so get lots of oxygen and starve it.

2. Cancer can only live in an acidic environment - so switch to alkaline, half a teaspoon of baking SODA in a glass of water every morning.

3. You live in Thailand <deleted> Marijuana is a proven cure for cancer and guess what it's both legal and available in Thailand.

4. A different attitude e.g. a positive one would go a long way.

5. Chok dee. 

Nah ... you go to the NHS and you give Nat Ins number then that’s it ... also your last GP has your records as well 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, twocatsmac said:

I spent a month in this hospital chain, you don’t waltz in for treatment without proof of funds.

Now Kevs actions are looking orchestrated and even rehearsed.

His previous colon cancer scare gave him prior warning of what was to come and this wasn’t just a few weeks ago.

I hope he recovers but my view now is that he’s playing a blinder and a lot of people for mugs. 

Take a look at his last video. He could barely speak at times!

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

Hopefully, Kev will feel better soon and then it's probably a good time to take a long hard look if he wants to be here anymore. Time to go home....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

For the average Joe, whose pockets are not deep enough to finance either a serious event or expensive insurance, life is an uncomfortable gamble.

I've had to think a lot about this recently.  The sensible thing would be to return home while you are still healthy, and come over for holidays.

Failing that I am wondering whether it's not best to take regular health checks so that you will likely be forewarned,  That way you can be back in Blighty, or wherever, even before harsh symptoms make themselves known- if you succumb in Thailand you will likely be in no fit state to get on a plane.  I also think keeping fit through regular exercise has to be considered mandatory.  Then keep some form of basic health insurance to at least cushion any unexpected blow.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

For the average Joe, whose pockets are not deep enough to finance either a serious event or expensive insurance, life is an uncomfortable gamble.

I've had to think a lot about this recently.  The sensible thing would be to return home while you are still healthy, and come over for holidays.

Failing that I am wondering whether it's not best to take regular health checks so that you will likely be forewarned,  That way you can be back in Blighty, or wherever, even before harsh symptoms make themselves known.  I also think keeping fit through regular exercise has to be considered mandatory.  Then keep some form of basic health insurance to at least cushion any unexpected blow.

Your sensible thing is spot on - plus the only months I can stand the weather is December to February which coincides normally with the worst and darkest in the UK. Volia no visa problems and no getting tired of Thailand and free health care on tap. What's not to like ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Failing that I am wondering whether it's not best to take regular health checks so that you will likely be forewarned,  That way you can be back in Blighty, or wherever, even before harsh symptoms make themselves known- if you succumb in Thailand you will likely be in no fit state to get on a plane.  I also think keeping fit through regular exercise has to be considered mandatory.  Then keep some form of basic health insurance to at least cushion any unexpected blow.

I agree and I was quoted 3,500THB for a health check up at an 'International Hospital' on Samui and 1,000THB more with a PSA test. They are looking to identify problems to make them money, I would be looking for them to find problems I can go home and get fixed or treated for significantly less cost.