Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

Just now, transam said:

Think by now we all know you converted to being a German and take every opportunity here to slag off the UK....????

I wouldn't be treated for free now in Germany either, It's a cruel world, nothing is free anymore.

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

This is almost worse than the kids who come off motos and put out Gofundme pages. This guy knew the healthcare risks but decided against it. 

If he can get free healthcare in his home country and is able to travel, there should be no reason for him not to head home and do it

Thats what I can't understand. I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx in the year 2000. I received 20 treatments of radiotheraphy, driving myself daily from Scarborough, N Yorks to Hull. I can honestly say that apart from almost losing my voice (which was my first clue that something was wrong) and burning around my neck in the last week of treatment, I suffered no ill effects. Unless his cancer is somehow a different sort from mine, or that he left the diagnosis too late, I can't see any reason why he can't medically go back home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jesimps said:

Thats what I can't understand. I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx in the year 2000. I received 20 treatments of radiotheraphy, driving myself daily from Scarborough, N Yorks to Hull. I can honestly say that apart from almost losing my voice (which was my first clue that something was wrong) and burning around my neck in the last week of treatment, I suffered no ill effects. Unless his cancer is somehow a different sort from mine, or that he left the diagnosis too late, I can't see any reason why he can't medically go back home.

That was my point too I wondered why he let them do it here. 

But its a bit bad to set up a go fund page if you have the funds yourself.. even if its setup by your friends. (talking about him not you)

Seems you recovered.. good on you.

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

You do know that Kev covers Pattaya the biggest brothel in the world and had to take scores of his videos down when threatened over their content. Bar girls and customers don't like to be splashed all over the internet by people like Kev, apparently.

They have a right to privacy too. I would not take kindly to getting filmed and put on youtube. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

We don't know what your friend said to authorities, I suppose some people are more convincing than others. Suffice to say I have two friends that live on the same housing estate as me and they regularely go back to the UK for treatment with no bother whatsoever.

It is possible that your friends still have addresses in the UK and didn't deregister with the doctor when they left. My friend left legally and had his pension paid into a Thai bank account, he had nothing in the UK, not even a bank account and consequently also paid no taxes, he had been out of the country 15 years, no way he could talk his way around that one although he did try by giving his brothers address but then they wanted his GP and wanted to know where his referral was, end of game. He was actually an emergency, he fell into a coma, woke after 6 weeks in hospital and was put in rehab to learn to talk and walk again, he is OK now, I don't know if the treatment for the coma was free. 

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

They have a right to privacy too. I would not take kindly to getting filmed and put on youtube. 

He learned that when 2 Thai women took him to court for defamation, he filmed some altercation and stuck it on his site. Not sure what the outcome was but he did have to go to court over it and apologize, quite rightly.

I keep myself on the GP list but my sister a Nurse in NZ de registered and when she was back in the UK they charged her £60 to see the GP

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, vogie said:

We don't know what your friend said to authorities, I suppose some people are more convincing than others. Suffice to say I have two friends that live on the same housing estate as me and they regularely go back to the UK for treatment with no bother whatsoever.

You do hear different stories when it comes to the NHS and I guess we can only go on personal experience.  When living in Hong Kong about twenty years ago I needed a hernia op and flew back to the UK for that.  I stayed with my ex and used her address  (it was never our home together) when I went into the hospital for the operation.  I wasn't asked for any payment apart from the prescribed pain killers.

More recently a British friend of mine still living in Chiang Mai, flew back to London for prostate treatment.  Again no costs involved.  He also has an ex wife there so maybe uses her address for correspondence.

I think the key is probably whether you have ever paid National Insurance in the UK.  I did, although not when living abroad.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

incorrect, even pensioners have to be permanent residents now. Emergency treatment ie heart attack would still be treated free of charge but forget about a heart transplant or a pacemaker for free.

Perhaps I worded it badly. I agree that pensioners have to claim that they are now back as permanent residents and prove it by renting somewhere to live and setting up all that entails. The difference is that a non-pensioner has to do all that and still wait 6 months (unless it is an emergency) a pensioner does not have the 6 months wait. Interestingly the spouse of a pensioner got the same deal even if they were under pension age. But as I said before that may have all changed.

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tell the NHS anything if you can make it back go back and as all brits are on ever on holiday here with no rights to settle permanently no lie to tell is there????  

My understanding of the NHS, is that if you return to the United Kingdom, with intent to stay, that you are entitled to NHS again automatically.

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

My understanding of the NHS, is that if you return to the United Kingdom, with intent to stay, that you are entitled to NHS again automatically.

I think that is correct.  The thing is when I went/go for treatment, nobody ever asks me anything about my status.  HOWEVER! I do have a GP and an address.  I kept the GP when I was living abroad as well so that my may have made a difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, samran said:

Wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy.

Best he get back to the NHS before he ends up destitute and in Thailand. Treatment ain't cheap.

If you do not live in the uk for three years i think you lose your entitlement to nhs sevices.

Just now, dunroaming said:

You do hear different stories when it comes to the NHS and I guess we can only go on personal experience.  When living in Hong Kong about twenty years ago I needed a hernia op and flew back to the UK for that.  I stayed with my ex and used her address  (it was never our home together) when I went into the hospital for the operation.  I wasn't asked for any payment apart from the prescribed pain killers.

More recently a British friend of mine still living in Chiang Mai, flew back to London for prostate treatment.  Again no costs involved.  He also has an ex wife there so maybe uses her address for correspondence.

I think the key is probably whether you have ever paid National Insurance in the UK.  I did, although not when living abroad.

Yes, it could depend on how exact a hospital is with the paperwork (although I can't see how you would get round a referral), I still have my NHS number which I suppose is still valid even if one deregisters with the GP. In my case it doesn't matter I won't be going back whatever, I'm still active and healthy at 70 but even so every year after 70 is a blessing not a right, one should have the good grace to surrender with dignity.

O>K> so lets step back and take an objective view

1. Cancer is anaerobic so get lots of oxygen and starve it.

2. Cancer can only live in an acidic environment - so switch to alkaline, half a teaspoon of baking SODA in a glass of water every morning.

3. You live in Thailand <deleted> Marijuana is a proven cure for cancer and guess what it's both legal and available in Thailand.

4. A different attitude e.g. a positive one would go a long way.

5. Chok dee. 

• Sad 1