Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

1 hour ago, vogie said:

I have found this information from the goverment website, it would appear what you are saying is not entirely correct.N Health care is based on you being an ordinary resident, and you can be classed as an ordinary resident from day one of your arrival back to the UK, just as long you can convince them that you are back to stay.

Please let me know what you think as I think it is a handy bit of info to know.

Ordinary residence tool
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/.../Ordinary_residence_tool.pdf

Screenshot_2019-03-11-15-46-33-409.jpeg

I couldn't open your link but I found this,

The term ordinary residence is not defined in the immigration or nationality acts and has not been defined in any Act of Parliament. The leading case in this area is R v Barnet LBC ex parte Shah [1983] 1 All ER 226.The House of Lords found that the concept of ordinary residence implied:

•ordinary residence is established if there is a regular habitual mode of life in a particular place for the time being, whether of short or long duration, the continuity of which has persisted apart from temporary or occasional absences, residence must be both:  voluntary and adopted for a settled purpose

•a person can be ordinarily resident in more than one country at the same time, distinguishing it from domiciled

•ordinary residence is proven more by objective evidence than evidence of an individual’s state of mind at a point in time

Where there have been absences in a period of residence, you must decide whether:

•they can be regarded as temporary absences, despite which a regular habitual mode of life has continued

•the absences are such as to destroy the degree of continuity necessary to establish and maintain ordinary residence

The duration of an absence is less important that the reason for the absence.For example, in R v Immigration Appeal Tribunal ex p Ng [1986] Imm AR 23,the subject was required to demonstrate that he had been ordinarily resident in the UK for a period of 5 years. He travelled to Hong Kong on 24 August 1967, having been ordinarily resident in the UK for 4 years 360 day. His employment ceased on 5 August 1967, but he was contracted and paid up until 31 August. The Divisional court agreed with the tribunal’s view that sine he had left the UK with no discernible intention of returning, he had ceased to be ordinarily resident at that point. Had he only intended to go to Hong Kong for a holiday, his ordinary residence would have continued.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/655489/Nationality-policy-assessing-ordinary-residence-v2.0EXT.pdf

I will not avoid death.  I might easily get cancer.  I will likely forget my name and my life....

the man has cancer.  I don't care if he gets 1 billion zillion baht, his health is horrible and his life will never be the same.  money, no money.  insurance, no insurance.  sure, insurance is great, of course.  but being sick is absolutely quite possibly worse than death.

imagine something telling you that you have cancer?  

but, yes, you need money to live longer.  but i feel bad for this guy.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

Maybe the Gofundme can get together More money than what he Needs ,,,,, Make a Buck?

1 hour ago, Runamile said:

Why do Brits and others not "Get It". Entitlement to NHS services are based on residence not contributions. If you are out of the country for more than 2 years you lose any entitlement, unless you were overseas working for a British company. I have heard of a generous interpretation of that last point being made. I have heard of generous interpretations being made by other agencies, then a return being made to NHS. Mostly, though it's simple. You have been out of UK for 2 or more years. The NHS show you the door. You aren't and haven't been permanently resident. I fail to see what is so hard to understand, but think that most people just run their lives around the mythologies perpetrated say here. That is very dangerous when it come's to your health. Research it.

Should have read ordinarily resident. Apologies. All else OK. Note that NHS use the simple expedient of asking to see your passport, then look at the entries. They are supposed to do this for everybody. Whether they actually do is a contentious point - meaning white guy with a cockney accent may well not be asked, especially if surrounded by wailing relatives. It's all one hell of a risk though, and you'll be trying to pull it off when not at your best. The same applies if you try the benefits agency first approach - though I think they have more discretion/flexibility (time to roll out your history of wartime military service, etc - seriously I've heard of that done successfully, but how many successes overall is a wholly different matter!)

28 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that is correct.  The thing is when I went/go for treatment, nobody ever asks me anything about my status.  HOWEVER! I do have a GP and an address.  I kept the GP when I was living abroad as well so that my may have made a difference.

Yes, I looked into it last year when I was in the UK and it stated UK citizens are entitled to treatment after registering with their GP and providing up to date evidence of a residential address. I dont recall there being a wait period.

16 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The way I read it, it would seem if an expat was genuinely returning to live in the UK he would be classed as an ordinarily resident, do you agree, or are you of the opinion that it is a grey area.

Edited by vogie

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

The way I read it, it would seem if an expat was genuinely returning to live in the UK he would be classed as an ordinary resident, do you agree, or are you of the opinion that it is a grey area.

Thats how I read the definition too. UK passport holder returns to the UK, has a desire to stay and a residence and can't therefore be refused health care.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

1. You don't understand the Warburg effect, cancer thrives with oxygen present in a process known as aerobic glycolosis.

2. You cannot change your bodies pH by eating a little baking soda, all you will do it increase the load on your kidneys, eat more of something base than your kidneys can cope with and you will change your bodies pH but you will also die.

3. There are no studies demonstrating cannabis curing cancer, it is prescribed to chemotherapy patients for nausea and loss of appetite.

4. Attitude can help.

5. They would certainly need some chok dee should they be daft enough to follow your advice.

What about a 4 leaf clover, that must be good for something !????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

Depends how long he's been out of the UK as a non resident. British citizens who are expats aren't entitled to free NHS treatment without being back as a UK resident for some time.

Crazy as many paid large amounts of National Health Insurance deducted from their pay for many many years. 

And the UK NHS has the same problem has Thailand too - foreigners using the hospitals and skipping off without paying their bills.

But you're right. He admits he chose not to take out insurance and hints he can pay. But so many nowadays think it's o k to get others to pay.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

The way I read it, it would seem if an expat was genuinely returning to live in the UK he would be classed as an ordinarily resident, do you agree, or are you of the opinion that it is a grey area.

Yes but he must prove it with documents, rent contract, utility bills etc. they aren't going to take your word for it. Having said that I don't think they would ever refuse treatment but you would get billed for it if you just left the hospital without giving up proof to the appropriate authorities, who knows.

Just now, NoComment said:

Kev, stop the begging. You are capable of flying back to England where the NHS will take care of you.

You really should think about the disgrace you are bringing on yourself, your country and the ex-pats who don't feel sorry for you in any shape or form.

Get a grip and leave Thailand.

You are causing embarrassment to you and your family because you couldn't be bothered. You are attempting to make silly, unfunny jokes in order to justify your stupidity just to make a few extra quid.

Cancer is a terrible thing and I hope that you see sense, return to England and make a full recovery.

Seems so easy ! He would need somewhere to stay first, not cheap these days, register with a doctor,etc. He won't be able to just turn up at the hospital, "Hello here I am"

• Like 1