Video: Popular British YouTuber in Thailand diagnosed with cancer but has no insurance

webfact

31 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Off-topic (and worthy of its own thread in the insurance forum).... but if you have to pay upfront for your treatment and then claim the funds back with a long wait, can I politely suggest that you have chosen the wrong insurance company.

I stayed in Phuket International Hospital about 5 years ago for a few nights after getting Dengue fever.  No payment upfront - my BUPA insurance policy made sure of that, and 100% of the 60,000 baht bill covered by them.

My current insurer (Davidshield) provides me with a VISA card.  If I need hospital treatment, they load up the VISA card with the $$ required for payment and THEY prepay, not me ????

Considering there is no treatment for dengue the hospital did well.

Do they cover loss of 'hotels ' and boarding house too? 

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I have several UK bank accounts, where my state and company pensions are paid. All my mail goes to a UK address. If it needs a reply, I send it to a friend who posts it in the UK. I see my GP once every year.

I keep a room, fully furnished, with many personal possessions, in a friend's apartment. I have a reciprocal arrangement with him, vis a vis my house in Thailand, so zero cost.

I even voted in the 2016 referendum.

Ah I see.... A scam in place 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emptypockets said:

I think the point about personal responsibility has been made a few times also but not been understood either.

As has the point about gloating over another's personal circumstances ... there are some expats in Thailand who are of an age where an insurer will not touch them without a premium that is well beyond their finances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

As has the point about gloating over another's personal circumstances ... there are some expats in Thailand who are of an age where an insurer will not touch them without a premium that is well beyond their finances.

Tough...should not be there if they can not afford to be there.

Simples really.

Ah!!! Sorry they live the dream....Thai life. ????????????????????

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, SammyT said:

This is almost worse than the kids who come off motos and put out Gofundme pages. This guy knew the healthcare risks but decided against it. 

If he can get free healthcare in his home country and is able to travel, there should be no reason for him not to head home and do it

Maybe ,  he  will  have  the  bobby  in the uk ,  waiting to greet him ,  

and then the best health  care in the World , dare i add free ..

Edited by elliss

Just now, elliss said:

Maybe ,  he  will  have  the  bib in the uk ,  waiting to greet him ,  

and the best health  care in the World , dare i add free ..

Do tell.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I have several UK bank accounts, where my state and company pensions are paid. All my mail goes to a UK address. If it needs a reply, I send it to a friend who posts it in the UK. I see my GP once every year.

I keep a room, fully furnished, with many personal possessions, in a friend's apartment. I have a reciprocal arrangement with him, vis a vis my house in Thailand, so zero cost.

I even voted in the 2016 referendum.

You pay UK , poll tax,??

Do tell ..

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

We never know what life throws at us. As you might find out one day. That's why I don't indulge in gloating ... but you fill your boots up!

Yes i am filling my boots up...here back home in UK...i tried to live in Thailand...Bkk...my gf is head of a school...she is not thai...asian yes...

I found Bkk very boring .im not a person who went to Thailand to live the Thai dream...chasing a thai wife or visit bargirls...each to there own.

But in reality UK is cheaper than Bkk....I have said prev on other forums that i would not eat street food because i dont want to eat something from someone that can not wash their hands...and having food prepared and cooked at the side of the road with all that pollution for the sake of living on 150bht a day. 

If you eat in resturants or bars even McD and B.King...more expensive than UK.

My fav place to eat for Italian was Jamies Italian Siam Discovery...but same meal in there is 40% more expensive than the Westfield Stratford one.

Good for you as your living thai dream...hope you have all your insurance in place in case you fall ill.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, twocatsmac said:

I hope this old shyster recovers but let’s not kid ourselves that this is a stand up cockney geyser with a heart of gold.

He has a record of defamations in Thailand against women (several)

and has rarely portrayed Thailand in a good light. 

Hes taken part in youtube slanging matches for years as an instigator but is always the victim.

I met him a few years ago in Pattaya briefly and tired immediately of his bitching regarding fellow youtubers, who incidentally are now all begging a living in Thailand.

His association with other western beggars in Thailand is an embarrassment to anyone living outside of the shithole known as 

Patt aye aah.

He is no Cockney

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Teee said:

Yes i am filling my boots up...here back home in UK...i tried to live in Thailand...Bkk...my gf is head of a school...she is not thai...asian yes...

I found Bkk very boring .im not a person who went to Thailand to live the Thai dream...chasing a thai wife or visit bargirls...each to there own.

But in reality UK is cheaper than Bkk....I have said prev on other forums that i would not eat street food because i dont want to eat something from someone that can not wash their hands...and having food prepared and cooked at the side of the road with all that pollution for the sake of living on 150bht a day. 

If you eat in resturants or bars even McD and B.King...more expensive than UK.

My fav place to eat for Italian was Jamies Italian Siam Discovery...but same meal in there is 40% more expensive than the Westfield Stratford one.

Good for you as your living thai dream...hope you have all your insurance in place in case you fall ill.

I'm a traveller, so I pass through Thailand and use it as a base when in S E Asia. I'm in the Eastern Mediterranean at the moment, may return to SE Asia in 2020 0r 2021, let's see what Brexit throws up. I'm insured and even if I wasn't I'd be able to cover it, but I don't quite understand the glee that certain people feel about someone else's misfortune? I'm either sympathetic or ambivalent. 

I don't think Kev does anyone any harm. As for the defamation claim (made by another poster) I know of one comment he made about the wife of a disgusting human being ... a man who pollutes You Tube with crap videos. Hardly a major crime on Kev's part. The idiot in question pretended to be "defamed" in order to get Kev into trouble with the authorities ... yet the same cretin does worse.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

He says he can pay for it but still puts up a gofundme. 

Just curious why does he not go back for free treatment ?

Yes, you beat me to the question. That's my own backup plan for the US - I get disability and medicare coverage there, and I still own a house to stay in. I have $150,000 parked in a mutual fund which I can tap but I doubt that anything would have to make much of a dent before I flew back to the US. Meanwhile I hope the old geezer recovers. I am a cancer survivor, had I not caught it when I did I wouldn't be typing this. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

He's from Peterborough. Same as the Brit from Chang Rai, Graham Briar, who also had a lifetime of scamming and set up a go fund me page when he had a heart condition.

You are scamming uk government and a taxpayer who are supporting your sexpat lifestyle.

You said it your self on this thread.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Never tell the NHS anything if you can make it back go back and as all brits are on ever on holiday here with no rights to settle permanently no lie to tell is there????  

Yes, if u have been away for over 6 months u can have emergency treatment only. So dont tell them u have been away when they ask. Just give them an address. There r other criteria such as having your own home in the UK which override this but I doubt he has this.

8 hours ago, madmitch said:

It is not quite that easy if you've been living out of the country for some time, though there are ways around it. In simple terms you have to demonstrate you've moved back permanently.

I was in hospital in London for an operation in December, before I had it they wrote to me and asked me to prove I was eligible for free treatment. They sent me a list of items needed to prove my eligibility, passport, drivers licence etc and then council tax/gas/electric/phone bill to prove I was a UK resident. It seems that if you've been living abroad for more than 18 months you have to pay a percentage of the costs. I actually struggled as all my bills are paperless, they wrote to me twice saying the first lot of proof I sent didn't cut it so I sent a load of printouts of bank statements proving I'd been in the uk for the last 18 month. 

I'm not sure this is every hospital but UCLH are definitely taking the matter seriously.