Jump to content
BANGKOK 19 July 2019 09:17

Recommended Posts

The revenue department has begun sending people letters stating that they will no longer issue checks to refund overpaid income tax.  The options that they are giving to receive a refund are:

1.  Use "Prompt Pay" (last time I checked you need a Thai ID card to apply)
2.  Open a bank account at Krungthai bank to have it deposited

3.  Use Krungthai bank e-Money or e-Wallet (which I would assume also require having a Krungthai account).

 

So basically if I want my refund I'm obligated to open yet another bank account with that specific bank and pay the associated fees.

 

I can understand the need to save money by not cutting checks (it is costly to issue millions of checks every year) but why not offer to transfer to another bank?  I would be happy to pay a 30 baht fee for the revenue department to deposit my refund in my existing bank account.  

In my opinion, there is no incentive for them to make it easy for people to get their refund; if the process is too difficult, some people won't bother to get small refunds and the money will remain in the revenue department coffers!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied for my refund last month as was told I would get a letter that I take to Krungthai bank who will give me a card to withdraw the money from the ATM. Does sound a little convoluted ......................

 

I actually have got Prompt Pay but the person at the office said I could not use it - I think because she said only Khun Thai could have prompt pay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Prompt Pay and Prompt Card may sound the same but they are not actually the same thing?

 

Waiting for my letter, due any time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, briley said:

So Prompt Pay and Prompt Card may sound the same but they are not actually the same thing?

 

Waiting for my letter, due any time now.

 

So Prompt Pay and Prompt Card may sound the same but they are not actually the same thing?

That appears to be the case.

From what I can find on the web, ‘PromptCard’ is Krungthai whereas ‘PromptPay’ is Siam Commercial Bank.

 

Attached scan of my card (w/o acc #) shows the difference in the ‘PromptCard’ & ‘PromptPay’ logos.

 

 

 

PromptCard.jpg

promptpay.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have PromptPay with Bangkok Bank - I am under the impression it works with all banks and anyone who wants payments made through that system.

 

Sounds like Income tax is using a special thing through Krungthai bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, briley said:

I have PromptPay with Bangkok Bank - I am under the impression it works with all banks and anyone who wants payments made through that system.

 

Madam got her refund via PromptPay to her SCB account.

 

I have PP with Bangkok Bank too. It seems that foreigners can only register one PP account (using your mobile number) whereas the locals can have many using their ID card number, not sure about foreigners with ID cards.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

From what I can find on the web, ‘PromptCard’ is Krungthai whereas ‘PromptPay’ is Siam Commercial Bank.

 

My SCB debit card has the PromptCard logo.

 

PromptPay is a government initiative that's supposed to make inter-bank transfers seamless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jadam said:

3.  Use Krungthai bank e-Money or e-Wallet (which I would assume also require having a Krungthai account).

 

So basically if I want my refund I'm obligated to open yet another bank account with that specific bank and pay the associated fees.

No you don't need a Krungthai account and as others have said easy to take even small amounts of money out once you have the e-card - as long as you have a KT bank near you.......

 

Been mentioned in 3 or 4 previous threads that I am aware of -

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went through this a couple weeks ago.

supposedly my accountant selected promptpay transfer ( she asked for my promptpay number and said the refund should arrive in my bank account “soon” ). Well, about 2 weeks later I received a check in the mail for my refund. And had to go to a KT Bank. Went to the one at central. Took about 1.5 hours until the teller figured out how to give Khun farang his money without him opening up another account.

as others have mentioned, I also got the prompt card. Was immediately able to withdraw the “entire” amount. 

Minimum denomination is 100 baht. My refund was xx,x25 baht. Wasn’t able to withdraw 25 nor 20 baht. Teller said I could load up another 75 baht and then withdraw 100. I declined. Was afraid to have to wait forever....for 25 baht.

I hope next year i get it via promptpay :)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new system is a bit weird (in the past, I either received a check in the mail or, more recently, a direct deposit into my SCB account) but it sorta works with a couple of minor hiccups.  As some have noted, you don't have to open up an account at that bank (I didn't), they'll give (no charge) you an e-money card loaded with your refund amount, and you simply take the e-money card and insert it into one of their ATM machines and withdraw the funds.  The two minor hiccups:

(1)  I'm not totally ignorant but I simply couldn't figure out how to use the e-money card on the Krungthai ATM machine.  I went back into the bank, told them my problem, received a few rolled eyes (meaning I got that "geez, he's gotta be pretty dumb" look), and then a teller came out and showed me how to withdraw the funds.  I'd note....with some glee....that it took the teller several attempts to make it work (hmmm.....guess I wasn't so lame after all...haha). 

(2)  If your refund doesn't exactly end in a round number based on 10 or 20, you're going to lose the odd change. My refund happened to be 4,208.18 baht and the teller explained to me that it was impossible to ever obtain the 8.18 via an e-money card and the ATM machine.  A minor irritation....mainly because the bank will ultimately keep that amount...that I presume only affects those (like me) that don't have or want a Krungthai bank account.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jadam said:

The revenue department has begun sending people letters stating that they will no longer issue checks to refund overpaid income tax.  The options that they are giving to receive a refund are:

1.  Use "Prompt Pay" (last time I checked you need a Thai ID card to apply)
2.  Open a bank account at Krungthai bank to have it deposited

3.  Use Krungthai bank e-Money or e-Wallet (which I would assume also require having a Krungthai account).

 

So basically if I want my refund I'm obligated to open yet another bank account with that specific bank and pay the associated fees.

 

Already been through this as well. I took the chance to open a savings account with KrungThai. Helps in tax refunds and you can pay your speeding tickets through the mobile app without any additional fees.

 

Also, savings accounts are free. There are no "associated fees".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Bert got kinky said:

gave them my tax refund letter

What is this letter?

 

The status of my tax refund shows that payment is in progress and that I need to register for Promptpay or something, but I didn't receive any letter yet.(see screenshot)

 

Do you think I can just take a print out of my filed tax refund and go to Krungthai bank to make such a E wallet card? 

 

Or should the status progress to the last step (1 more) and they will send me that tax refund letter? 

20190312_223627.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

TBH, I’m not sure of what the process is to get the letter and unfortunately I no longer have a copy of the letter to show to you.

My company’s HR manager handles my tax returns/claims and she gave me the letter after she had done all of the hard work.

She did inform me that she did have to phone the tax office and chase them up and later that week we got the letter.

 

 

Edited by Bert got kinky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

TBH, I’m not sure of what the process is to get the letter and unfortunately I no longer have a copy of the letter to show to you.

My company’s HR manager handles my tax returns/claims and she gave me the letter after she had done all of the hard work.

She did inform me that she did have to phone the tax office and chase them up and later that week we got the letter.

 

 

This morning I went to Krungthai bank and I asked them the process.

They said they needed the letter which has a barcode which they need to transfer the money in the E-wallet card. 

The woman at the bank was very helpful and asked the status of my tax refund after which I showed above message.

She then called the tax office for me and asked the actual status.

Seems the tax office just sent the needed letter with barcode today, so I expect I get it friday.

The woman at Krungthai was very helpful.

 

I still couldn't find this exact process on the Tax office website though 😐

Maybe it's somewhere, but I didn't find it so far. I just found out how to do through this forum-thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...