Running Red Lights at Intersections with Cameras

luther

"And the most scary thing about that is when you conform with the law, and stop on orange/red here in Thailand - that it only takes a second to glance, nervously in your rear mirrors, (car or motorbike), to discover that the clown behind you - is not prepared to stop and has actually accelerated!"

Very true, as a M/cyclist I have twice pulled to one side to avoid been run down by following SUV/light trucks.

john

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

500 Thb fine is not enough to discourage red light runners, 

higher fine and points on the license,at the lights,they turn 

green the vehicles go through slowly,amber/red they speed up

and and up to 6 cars run the red light.especially in the mornings,

going to work or school.

As the authorities see how much they can earn from traffic cameras,

you can expect more and more to be in operation,not sure if the real

motive will be as a deterrent,or a a money earner . 

regards worgeordie

I once made a left turn on a poorly marked corner which apparently said "not left turn" but the prick at the pattaya station decided it was running a red light and made the fine 1000...

4 hours ago, rwill said:
22 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Can only hope (and I see this every day) that the red light-jumpers would be run down by a large truck.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:
1 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Most sensible people would like to see a reduction in the number of accidents and death on the roads.

You apparently don't subscribe to that!

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

If as he wishes ,the red light jumpers get mown down and killed by a large truck then that will have removed a significant aspect of the cause of further accidents and deaths,so there is logic to his desire

Oh what a great idea. Let's reduce RTA deaths by killing off (in RTAs of course) all the stupid drivers who run red lights!

That has to qualify as the most stupid idea I've read on TVF so far this year. And the bar is already pretty high!

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Oh what a great idea. Let's reduce RTA deaths by killing off (in RTAs of course) all the stupid drivers who run red lights!

That has to qualify as the most stupid idea I've read on TVF so far this year. And the bar is already pretty high!

You could try arguing against the logic that if those who are habitual red light runners and  therefore almost certainly other dangerous driving habits are no longer there to inflict that on others ,then the roads would be safer for others. I notice you haven’t been able to - perhaps the bar you’re looking at is of a different sort ...?

18 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Running red lights is bad dangerous for all.

Part of the problem comes from the Thai Idea that the Yellow light is a warning for stop, so they go into foot flat on floor mode.

I will suggest that the Thai Law on their highway code is basically a copy of UK's highway code.

In UK, Yellow(Amber) means STOP unless it's unsafe to do so. Red is Stop and Green is you may proceed if it is safe to do so and not GO.

Well educated Thais have told me that Red is stop when it becomes Blood Red, that is after about 3-4 seconds.

I split my time between my Car and Scooter.

Quite disturbing approaching a light on Green for experience has taught folk coming up behind are going for straight through.

The Yellow light is on for maybe 3 secs and Thai folk are going to go for it.

Yellow needs to be longer and folk need to learn to stop on Yellow.

john

I guess we're not in Kensington anymore Toto. 

The issue is not the light sequence or the laws... 

The issue is society... on Thailands roads there is no pride, no honour to do what’s right and be considerate of others, the attitude on Thailands roads is purely one of ‘me first selfishness’... its widely accepted and society is unable to self regulate as the underlying morality on Thailands roads is flawed from the offset. 

This underlying morality flaw has been permitted to manifest itself through every strata of road-using-society through a complete absence of law enforcement and total apathy of those in positions of decision making power. 

The outcome is what we have today... the cause is not that from bottom to top no one cares enough, the cause is that from bottom to top no one cares at all.

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

the attitude on Thailands roads is purely one of ‘me first selfishness’

Can't argue with that. The thing is, as soon they emerge from their vehicles, they become very different.

Apparently, the fine and yearly license registration are now interlinked. The junta will now be able to purchase three submarines, a squadron of jet fighters, and a couple of dozen tanks yearly with the revenue generated. That or every Army Cornel/ Police Captain and above gets a new Mercedes/BMW yearly. I really believe this could be the biggest revenue generator Thailand has ever seen judging from what I witness at every traffic light I have stopped at. :coffee1:

I dont mind the red light running, its so common that green is not a signal to just blindly get up and go, its a signal to check for any red light runners to finish going through the intersection like a train then go

I think first of all it would help if this country could adopt a proper traffic light sequence like other countries especially on major roads outside cities where you are allowed to drive at 90 km/h.

Approaching a traffic light here you often just do not have the time to react especially if you have somebody tailing you too close.

Green lights are not blinking here before the yellow light comes on and this is crucial in the decision to break slowly in time without hitting the breaks and another vehicle hitting you from behind.

With blinking green lights you are usually far enough away before the light turns yellow and you can easily break before it turns red even at 90 km/h.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

48 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I think first of all it would help if this country could adopt a proper traffic light sequence like other countries especially on major roads outside cities where you are allowed to drive at 90 km/h.

Approaching a traffic light here you often just do not have the time to react especially if you have somebody tailing you too close.

Green lights are not blinking here before the yellow light comes on and this is crucial in the decision to break slowly in time without hitting the breaks and another vehicle hitting you from behind.

With blinking green lights you are usually far enough away before the light turns yellow and you can easily break before it turns red even at 90 km/h.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The pre-emptive warnings such as flashing greens, extended amber (yellow) and red-light countdown clocks are all quite meaningless in a land where green means go, amber (yellow) means go faster and red means close your eyes, go even faster and blow your horn.

I see a  lot of Thai people turning left during a red light. They don't go straight and don't turn right but they do go left following the traffic flow.

Is this acceptable for traffic police?

11 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I see a  lot of Thai people turning left during a red light. They don't go straight and don't turn right but they do go left following the traffic flow.

Is this acceptable for traffic police?

Unless there is specific signage saying that left-on-red is allowed, it is prohibited.

YMMV on how this is actually enforced.

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:34 AM, NanLaew said:

Unless there is specific signage saying that left-on-red is allowed, it is prohibited.

YMMV on how this is actually enforced.

The specific signage is of course in Thai,not be able to understand it wont be considered an excuse

Archived