B2 Visa Interview at U.S. Embassy Bangkok

1. What are some interview questions during a B2 visa interview at the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok? Anyone have recent experience?

2. Can a U.S. citizen friend go with her to the interview?

3. Is the interview in Thai or English? 

4. This Thai woman can show 5 years of working for the same employer (salary/benefits) and she can show proof that she's engaged to a Thai man. She's traveling with 2 U.S. citizen friends and co-workers who are paying for her trip. While her co-workers are paying for the trip, she will not be working and the funds are personal, not work funds. They have a detailed itinerary. On the DS160 it's stated that she is not paying on her own. She owns no land and only has about 30,000b in the bank. Should she be trying to find a way to add more money to her account prior to the interview? I would assume a giant chunk of cash in her bank book prior to an interview would only serve to raise a red flag. Any idea how important that having only 30k in the bank will be even though her trip is paid for?

The interview will be conducted in English,a Thai speaker will be called if required.No you will not be allowed to accompany. 98% of the decision will be made based on the paperwork already submitted before she even gets to the counter.The actual interview is usually very short(a few minutes )Only some very basic questions are asked, why do you want to go to America,where will you stay etc.If they require additional information, they usually refuse the visa on the spot and give you a form with the additional information to send in.The visa application is then placed in "Administrative Processing ".This can take anything from a few days to a few months,unfortunately there is no way to check how long the application will be in AP.

Hope this helps 

I'm ditto'ing @CeeGee

Agreed, it's in English, but a Thai speaking backup. You will not be able to attend.

The one area I'm gonna diverge is the fact, that tourist are very subjective. The CO needs to be convinced that she has strong ties to Thailand and will return.

I'd say the money in the bank might be a problem.

Answer truthfully and hope for the best.

Before my wife moved to the US as an immigrant, she was denied a tourist visa.

I'm pretty sure it was because she said, truthfully, we were going to stay at our US residence where our son, a US citizen, was living at the time.

Also, perversely, was the fact since my wife had grown up as a teenager in the US and went college there, she speaks perfect English with an American accent.

That I think was enough to set off alarm bells for the CO that she wouldn't return and just blend into society.

Remember, 25% of the Thai diaspora live in US. They disappear into the Thai restaurant, 'massage' world. Thats what concerns the CO during the interview, the non return thing!

So prep to make sure she has answers for all those types of questions

She keeps wanting to borrow money from a friend to boost her bank account. I told her not to. It will just increase suspicion.

On the application it asks what city and state her Thai passport was issued at. All it says in the passport is "Ministry of Foreign Affairs"

I could put "A Mueang Ubon Ratchathani" for the city. I can't fill in the province because it has a note that this line is supposed to match the passport, but the passport doesn't say.

Yes the DS160 application was hard to figure out what a few of the government questions were asking and I'm an educated American who understands government quirkiness.  

Yes I think deposits would look bad.  But I have never heard of them looking at any documents in the interview.  I have 3 direct successful visa holders as my basis.  It says 3 months bank book so maybe deposits before 3 months would be good but the word in the moobans is 200,000 minimum in savings.    It makes sense.  Airfare 40,000, 5000/ night lodging.  Food travel. Park fees it's a 100,000 trip minimum.    I wonder if kooks has anything to do with it?  I wonder if requesting to use Thai would be better than using poor English?   Good luck.  Let us know.   

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

Good luck.  Let us know.   

I will update in a few weeks. Her appointment notification says to bring "proof of financial support for your trip." Hopefully they don't deny her based on her bank book balance. The U.S. citizen traveling with her to America (and stated as such on the DS160) is also the one paying all her travel. That U.S. citizen is writing a very concise letter stating that she's paying for the entire trip and providing an itinerary. Since they specifically ask for proof of financial support, I'm instructing her to hand them that letter, but have a bank letter and bank book ready in case its requested. Do you think the U.S. citizen should also give the applicant some bank information to show they have the ability to pay for the trip? Sounds unlikely they'd ask for that much proof. It would be easy to provide though.

My wife's interview is in less than two weeks.

My concern is the line in front of consular services.

What time do we need to arrive at the embassy for an 8:00 am interview?

Assuming we arrive in time for the interview, we won't be showing bank books.

We will have a round trip paid airline booking, a letter of invitation from my sister detailing airport pick up and that we'll stay with her, 15 years of marriage, and title to our home in her name. There's also a mild sense of urgency to the trip; neither I nor my sister and her husband  in California are getting any younger.

9 hours ago, gunghang said:

We will have a round trip paid airline booking, a letter of invitation from my sister detailing airport pick up and that we'll stay with her, 15 years of marriage, and title to our home in her name. There's also a mild sense of urgency to the trip; neither I nor my sister and her husband  in California are getting any younger.

The embassy line is nazi like in letting people in. 

They operate a strict entry policy of letting you inside 15 minutes ahead of your scheduled appointment time.

So don't get there too early or you will just be standing outside on the sidewalk sweating your balls off

12 hours ago, gunghang said:

One last point on this.

You do realize you're not going in with her? She's on her own.

Once you say goodbye and she heads inside, head over the road to Starbucks and wait for her to emerge!

Archived