first time I've seen electric scooters here

orang37

In the Night Bazaar a few nights ago. Farang riders, naturally. Ignoring heavy traffic, no helmets,  naturally.  Yeah, I don't get out much ????

I wonder if these scooters are free, perhaps provided by the local public outreach initiative of the CMAIOIR (Chiang Mai Assn. for Improved Orthopaedic Injury Revenue); the same good folks that sponsored the bike-lane over the Iron Bridge ?

~o:37;

6 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My wife and I owned an electric scooter 10-12 years ago. Within 3 years we could barely drive it 6 kms before it needed a new charge. I don't get excited about electric cars at all.

How long do you expect batteries to last?

When my scooter was nearly 3 years old, i had the same problem, needed charging more often, power lasting only a short time, replaced the batteries....... Bingo back to normal.

42,800 baht at Lazada. 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/1000-i291110267-s510856329.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.2.783375a6S8PNi1&search=1

I have a friend who bought one of these and he is very happy with it. I am considering one for myself just for short jaunts out rather than driving my car. Also, since there are no nearby service stations, it would be a lot easier to to up by plugging the battery into a charger than riding 5km just to to up with petrol.

15 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My wife and I owned an electric scooter 10-12 years ago. Within 3 years we could barely drive it 6 kms before it needed a new charge. I don't get excited about electric cars at all.

A Tesla has a range of about 1200 miles ... FYI.

24 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Assuming you mean a step through Vespa type scooter, the battery life is generally rated at 2-3 years and like other electric vehicles the cost of replacement needs to be factored into the cost per km and the total cost of ownership.  There are two places offering electric transport in town that I recently came across:  Toyotron is on the crossroads of Mahidol Road and the old Lamphun Road (106).  They sell Thai designed and manufactured bikes, Tuk-Tuks and golf carts - 

The other is across from Promenada and sells a small range of Taiwanese electric scooters about the size of a Fino or Scoopy.  The build and specs of these, particularly the top of the range model were promising and the pricing pretty much in line with gas powered vehicles.  I forget the name of the dealer but it is right next to where the Tree Condo building is located.  They have a service facility and give a 2 year warranty on the batteries.  If you dare brave the CM roads on a bike then they look like a good place to visit.

Toyotron.jpg

How long do you expect batteries to last?
When my scooter was nearly 3 years old, i had the same problem, needed charging more often, power lasting only a short time, replaced the batteries....... Bingo back to normal.
Could have used a longer extension lead Col!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Are you talking about scooters like electric motorcycles, or scooters like this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi-mijia-m365-electric-scooter-e-scooter-by-zendrian-i190285758-s456532096.html?search=1

Disclaimer: I run the company that sells these in Thailand through lazada (above)

I have a little different take on these... as I ride one to work every day. It changed my life; I live a bit up a longer soi and now no longer need to take a motorcycle taxi, and indeed if the destination isn't too far away I don't even get on the train.

This scooter will go a solid 10-15km on one charge at perhaps about 20km/hr, so if I'm going to the 7-11, grocery store, or anywhere near my neighborhood it's the only way to go.

I can recharge it in my room so no need to park outside, no need to look for a petrol station, and no need to wait on any taxi. Just hop on and go. I've never had a problem with the police although I do ride it (slowly and cautiously) on the sidewalks sometimes when the traffic is heavy. Otherwise I ride on the side of the road.

My take is these have staying power, unlike the electric hover-boards of a few years ago. I think these have the potential to reduce noise and pollution everywhere.

17 hours ago, roo860 said:

Yep plenty about, I've now got another target in my sights, I'm done with vegan cyclists, now I can concentrate on knocking these tossers off their perches.

I think I met you on the road. Did you have to buy a new rear view drivers side mirror ? Fix the rad and windshield from the marbles I dropped on the road ?

Nice Guy sums the post above quite well

No - but my LH pocket is always full of them. Pass the offender, drop a handful on the road. Marbles bounce - and pass easily thru an aluminum rad, or star a windshield quite well.
Well that's disgraceful and vandalism, you should be ashamed, if I ever see you with your hand in your pocket I hope it's only for checking your tackle, and not for causing chaos and carnage on the highway!

Another potentially interesting and useful thread goes down the drain...

Quite agree, people bouncing marbles all over the place, better check my insurance to see if covers 'getting marbled '.

It's bad enough with the bloody Chinese on bikes and motorbikes, this is gonna end in tears.

10 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

My experience with an electric scooter was just the opposite. I would imagine naysayers made similar comments when the first internal combustion automobiles made their apperance on the roads.

Electric scooter have become quite popular in Canada. (The Scoopy/Fino, looking scooters) I believe they legally can only have a top speed (restricted) of 60 or 70 kph. Easy to run/maintain and park for urbanites. Especially popular with those who have lost their license as you don't need one. In Canada, cyclists are required to wear a helmet. Not sure about the law in Thailand regarding an operators license and helmets for electric scooter operators, or what the police consider them to be. Of course, there are electric bicycles as well (mopeds). I believe the electric scooters have a 60-80 km range so more than enough for most situations. The biggest drawback that I can see is a place to charge them. 

Saw a Burmese fella furiously pedaling one the other day in Tachileik.. battery must have gone flat on him. . reminded me of the Raleigh Wisp mopeds seeing the old boys pedaling away up a hill

Chinese cities full of them but can't see them catching on here unless they are sold with a huge speaker blasting out a revving cut off silencer deafening motor bike engine sound

Your scooters back then likely had lead acid batteries, which can't be discharged below 50% and last only 2-3 years. Modern scooters use lithium ion batteries which can be discharged nearly 100% and can last years.

• 2 months later...
On 3/12/2019 at 2:14 PM, nucleative said:

Are you talking about scooters like electric motorcycles, or scooters like this. //

I run the company that sells these in Thailand through lazada (above)

Hi. So you should know well what are the rules here for these "electric kick scooters" ?

Could you please tell me (or us) as it seems to be a bit confused on the Internet...

BTW such electric scooters are now for rent in Pattaya and the Police quickly learned that they are forbidden on sidewalks and pedestrian zones. A new source of easy profit apparently :sad:

Archived