Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro or Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro

TSF

Time to get myself a new smartphone, I been looking for one with high specs and good camera but mid-price range, and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro or the newer Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro have caught my attention. From what I've read online and the reviews I've watched on YT these seem like excellent phones for very reasonable prices.

Do any of you more techy guys have anything to say good or bad about the Xiaomi Redmi range?

Are there any other similar priced phones I should consider instead of Xiaomi?

And I'll be in Bangkok next week, where is the best place for me to see and buy either the Note 6 Pro or Note 7 Pro?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to get these phones repaired if you crack the screen or the battery fails after a year or two.

Puts me off paying more than 5k/phone, but I guess if you have money to burn they look very nice.

Yeah the battery thing concerns me, seems like pretty well all phones these days are going with unremovable batteries. I'd prefer a removable battery but it appears very few new phones have them.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Huawei Y9 might be worth a look at 6,100bht on Lazada.

Everything the Redmi has, a bit bigger and a bit cheaper.

Thanks, good tip, I just looked it up and both models are very similar. I watched a YT vid comparison just now and the Redmi slightly pips the Y9 on a couple points, including camera, but I'll certainly keep it in mind and will check the Y9 out in BKK next week.

If you do ever need to replace the battery or a broken screen of a Xiaomi phone, there's a shop called mahaphone in the Chinatown area. 

I and the wife have had Xiaomi phones for a few years now but I'm gonna move back to Samsung when this one needs updating. I find pictures in low light are not very good with Xiaomi phones and I want a waterproof phone

Why any of them ?

The only interesting phones that I know from Xiaomi are the MI A2 because its an ANDROID ONE phone and one of the best phones from any brand for the price, and the MI MAX 3 because it's the biggest phone of any brand for the price, but sadly not Android one.

Any other phone is totally useless compared to these 2.

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hard to get these phones repaired if you crack the screen or the battery fails after a year or two.

Puts me off paying more than 5k/phone, but I guess if you have money to burn they look very nice.

6000 - 8000 is still ok compared to what the idiots pay for the highest specs phones, and especially knowing what these people do with a phone ! 555+

8 minutes ago, alien365 said:

If you do ever need to replace the battery or a broken screen of a Xiaomi phone, there's a shop called mahaphone in the Chinatown area. 

I and the wife have had Xiaomi phones for a few years now but I'm gonna move back to Samsung when this one needs updating. I find pictures in low light are not very good with Xiaomi phones and I want a waterproof phone

Hello, any link to Mahaphone in Chinatown ? Thanks.

True that screen is the only problem if cheap Xiaomi phones.

But as I cannot stand any $$hit useless bloatwares that all brands put in their phones (and that you cannot uninstall), I still prefer a cheap Xiaomi android one phone. No $$hit inside, only Android, as any phone should be if people were smart enough to understand that phone brands are paid on your a$$ to put useless applications in the phones. Nobody with a brain should accept these $$hit bloatwares.

Bought the wife a Samsung A8 last Saturday at Big C Surin. 8900 baht.  Does everything she needs and take good photos with four cameras on it. 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM. Was looking for the Oppo T1 but they haven't got it in yet.

Nothing to do with OP of course but I thought I'd post anyway. 

24 minutes ago, myshem said:

Hello, any link to Mahaphone in Chinatown ? Thanks.

True that screen is the only problem if cheap Xiaomi phones.

But as I cannot stand any $$hit useless bloatwares that all brands put in their phones (and that you cannot uninstall), I still prefer a cheap Xiaomi android one phone. No $$hit inside, only Android, as any phone should be if people were smart enough to understand that phone brands are paid on your a$$ to put useless applications in the phones. Nobody with a brain should accept these $$hit bloatwares.

I wasn't sure about the rules relating to links so I didn't post it in my initial post. It's www.mahaphone.com If you click on 'contact us' down the left there's a map showing the location. It's up one flight of stairs with some other mobile shops.

Regarding bloatware, it is frustrating. I don't mind them putting it on but not allowing us to delete them definitely grinds my gears 

Bought a Huawei nova i 2 a year ago at Lazada for just 5900 Baht and very happy with it:great specs and impressive battery for a phone in this price range. They have an upgraded more expensive model nova 3 i, which to me looks almost the same other than the higher price. So, if they are still selling the nova 2, it is still value for money. 

14 hours ago, myshem said:

Why any of them ?

The only interesting phones that I know from Xiaomi are the MI A2 because its an ANDROID ONE phone and one of the best phones from any brand for the price, and the MI MAX 3 because it's the biggest phone of any brand for the price, but sadly not Android one.

Interesting reply, many thanks, is bloatware a problem with other Xiaomi phones, like the Redmi Note 7 Pro?

Is it true that Apple opened a store in Thailand? if they did, are they planning more? 

I am not a techie so I appreciate I can walk into any Apple store or call MyApple and get free instruction/advice/tech help in the States. Yes, the phone costs a lot more.

My charger wouldn't plug into the phone. What the heck was the cause? Lint. The techie carefully used tweezers to remove it and warned me about the delicate interior of the port. For a person with no clue, it was great to have it "fixed" on the spot. Free. Yes, the phone is expensive.

18 hours ago, alien365 said:

There is a new xiaomi repair center in fortune town. Taking mine there next week for a cracked screen and damaged charge port.

22 hours ago, myshem said:

Why any of them ?

I did a check on the Mi A2 vs the note 7 (not pro) and I found that Mi A2 had no headphone jack, lower spec camera, smaller battery, and no expandable storage. It seems to me the Note 7 is better unless having Android One is a deal breaker for you. Xiaomi has very little bloatware, and I am fine with android 9 (pie). I think I am going with the Note 7 unless I discover something better in the next few days.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I did a check on the Mi A2 vs the note 7 (not pro) and I found that Mi A2 had no headphone jack, lower spec camera, smaller battery, and no expandable storage. It seems to me the Note 7 is better unless having Android One is a deal breaker for you. Xiaomi has very little bloatware, and I am fine with android 9 (pie). I think I am going with the Note 7 unless I discover something better in the next few days.

I am replacing a broken Asus Zenfone -- no more Asus phones, although I am still a strong supporter of the Asus computers. I am considering the Xiaomi Note 7 Pro (not yet available, but should be available very soon) and the Huawei Y9 (2019). They are similar, but the Note 7 Pro looks to be some what better. That factory service for Xiaomi is available at Fortune Town is a real plus. Any thoughts on these phones? Any idea on the price of the Note 7 Pro? Thanks.

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

50 minutes ago, Fat Prophet said:

I am replacing a broken Asus Zenfone -- no more Asus phones, although I am still a strong supporter of the Asus computers. I am considering the Xiaomi Note 7 Pro (not yet available, but should be available very soon) and the Huawei Y9 (2019). They are similar, but the Note 7 Pro looks to be some what better. That factory service for Xiaomi is available at Fortune Town is a real plus. Any thoughts on these phones? Any idea on the price of the Note 7 Pro? Thanks.

Yes, I did a compare check too and agree totally with canuckamuck, unless Android One is the deal breaker the Note 7 pro is the better buy. I've looked online and see this price: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro

Price in Thailand 
THB 6,500

Price for 6GB+ 128GB: THB 8,125

I've pretty well decided the Note 7 Pro is the phone I'll buy when I get to Bangkok next Tuesday. I'll buy the 6GB - 128GB model for 8,125, as it's less than 2,000 Bt more, so worth it IMO.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9521&idPhone2=6434

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Yes, I did a compare check too and agree totally with canuckamuck, unless Android One is the deal breaker the Note 7 pro is the better buy. I've looked online and see this price: 

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro

Price in Thailand 
THB 6,500

Price for 6GB+ 128GB: THB 8,125

I've pretty well decided the Note 7 Pro is the phone I'll buy when I get to Bangkok next Tuesday. I'll buy the 6GB - 128GB model for 8,125, as it's less than 2,000 Bt more, so worth it IMO.

Where are you getting that price for the pro? I have seen the non-pro for close to that. I assumed the pro would be more.

On 3/12/2019 at 8:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Huawei Y9 might be worth a look at 6,100bht on Lazada.

Everything the Redmi has, a bit bigger and a bit cheaper.

the wife just bought one y9 2019 model, 6.5inch 2340 x 1080 screen, 4 cameras (Why) quite good, i have the asus zenfone 5Q 6.2 inch 2160 x 1080 screen, also good about 8,000 baht with plenty of service locations.

49 minutes ago, steve187 said:

the wife just bought one y9 2019 model, 6.5inch 2340 x 1080 screen, 4 cameras (Why) quite good, i have the asus zenfone 5Q 6.2 inch 2160 x 1080 screen, also good about 8,000 baht with plenty of service locations.

Asus Zenphone 5q ZC600KL, 5,000bht on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/asus-zenfone-5q-zc600kl-6-ram4rom64gb-i232681064-s356636698.html

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

That's a good price but they don't include a link to purchase it. My current phone was sold to me as note-5 pro, but it turned out to be just the note-5. Great phone, but they had false advertising.

Yeah, I tried to find the store but as you say no link. I'll be in BKK next week for a few days and will hunt around. I'll let you know what happens.

Now narrowed my search down to 3 phones. The Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro is the one I want most but I''m not certain the price here is correct, another site gave the price in Thailand at around 15K thb. I really want to keep the cost below 10K. After looking at many YT comparision vids I don't think there's much between these 3, they are all high spec, have good cameras, lots of ram/storage, dual sims. I'll see how I go next week in BKK.

BTW: I'm currently in Australia and the prices I see quoted for various phones in Thailand are a fair bit cheaper than the prices I see in Oz.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Pro 
THB 6,500
Price for 6GB+ 128GB: THB 8,125

Xiaomi Mi A2......Price =  THB10,650

Huawei Y9 (2019) 
THB 7,475
Price Of 6GB + 128GB: THB 9,100

Archived