Sterling surges as May secures Brexit assurances, yen dips

webfact

12 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Yes, they must be delighted to be getting 41.76 to the pound, especially as only 2 years ago they were getting 49.28. Only 15% worse - a stunning benefit....

Didnt the Pound go to 43 in 2013 ish ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Grouse said:

Serious question. I have to purchase a piece of test equipment from UK. It's a thousand quid. Do I do the transaction right now or wait until tomorrow?

your crystal ball is as good as any other, I think the currency markets have given up dealing in logic, it's all desperation and guess work, how else could the dollar be strong when the USA has 22 trillion in debt and climbing and a federal deficit of 984 billion dollars ?

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

your crystal ball is as good as any other, I think the currency markets have given up dealing in logic, it's all desperation and guess work, how else could the dollar be strong when the USA has 22 trillion in debt and climbing and a federal deficit of 984 billion dollars ?

The Dollar isn't strong in Thailand.

Just now, LucysDad said:

So is Sterling.

so is the Euro but these two aren't quite the basket case that the USA is. Good the US exports more oil than Saudi these days and it has to be paid in dollars, probably the only reason but even so they are very close to a downgrade.

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

And it will plummet again end of the week when the idiots MP continue their bickering to try and overthrow the will of the electorate

the will of the people will see it plummet to 35-37

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Its the uncertainty that has caused the Pound to devalue , once we get everything sorted out , when we leave the E.U and then can sign trade deals with the rest of the world, the Pound will surge

dreaming again i see,the UK must look wonderful through these

rose tinted.jpg

I was listening to the radio last night as things unfolded. MPs had stayed in the Commons waiting for news. Then finally the Brexit secretary announced the changes that had been secured.

What I found most frustrating was the response from Labour's Keir Starmer. Rather than keeping an open mind and saying let's study the detail and assess whether or not the changes are sufficient, he immediately went on the attack. 

Starmer and his ilk are determined not to let a Tory PM secure a deal with the EU no matter what the cost. Furthermore, he is desperate for talks to fail in the hope we end up remaining in the EU. It's this kind of self interest and bickering that has made the Brexit process such a mess! 

13 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Yes, must pay in Sterling, but SCB credit card in THB. 

Too complex to answer on an open forum I would have thought.  If paying with a credit card, then is that card financed by a sterling account?  If so then you want a strong pound etc etc.  I always found it advisable to have a foreign currency account along with a Baht account.

In other words, your guess is as good as mine.  

The next critical point is at 11:30am UK time when the Attorney General Geoffrey Cox delivers his legal opinion on the changes to the HoC. If he says the changes are sufficiently binding the deal should get the backing from most of the ERG and the DUP. 

The next hour is going to be interesting! 

Just now, dunroaming said:

Too complex to answer on an open forum I would have thought.  If paying with a credit card, then is that card financed by a sterling account?  If so then you want a strong pound etc etc.  I always found it advisable to have a foreign currency account along with a Baht account.

In other words, your guess is as good as mine.  

Its only a matter of a couple of hundred Baht anyway , hardly worth being concerned about 

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

One of the saddest things with the threads on Brexit is those from the UK who actually want to the UK go into some sort of financial meltdown and economic recession.

IMHO those should have their passports taken away and sent to to the isle of Man to serve the rest of their lives in exile. ????

So sorry to those from the Isle of Man.????????

or maybe send them all to China

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

The next critical point is at 11:30am UK time when the Attorney General Geoffrey Cox delivers his legal opinion on the changes to the HoC. If he says the changes are sufficiently binding the deal should get the backing from most of the ERG and the DUP. 

The next hour is going to be interesting! 

3 prominent barristers have seen the paper and each has already said that they aren't sufficiently binding, it's a political compromise not a legal document in their opinion.

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I was listening to the radio last night as things unfolded. MPs had stayed in the Commons waiting for news. Then finally the Brexit secretary announced the changes that had been secured.

What I found most frustrating was the response from Labour's Keir Starmer. Rather than keeping an open mind and saying let's study the detail and assess whether or not the changes are sufficient, he immediately went on the attack. 

Starmer and his ilk are determined not to let a Tory PM secure a deal with the EU no matter what the cost. Furthermore, he is desperate for talks to fail in the hope we end up remaining in the EU. 

Find me a politician who does keep an open mind when it comes to Brexit.  Minds are made up in advance and facts seldom have any baring.  Starmer will sing from one hymn sheet while the JR Moggs will sing a different tune.  Nothing to do with reality from any side.

7 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Starmer and his ilk are determined not to let a Tory PM secure a deal with the EU no matter what the cost. Furthermore, he is desperate for talks to fail in the hope we end up remaining in the EU. 

seen that attitude from Starmer before,

no interest in chipping in to try and make smth uk can live with

much more fun to maximize crisis

4 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

JRM hasnt ruled out voting yes to Mays deal he is waiting to hear back from the DUP first,rather strange imo i would of thought he would be more interested in bojo and fellow brexiteers opinions,but he was never a proper brexiteer and only wanted it to gain an extra 15% on his £7 million shares windfall after the pound crashed as was proved on TV last night,should be in jail imo

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

3 prominent barristers have seen the paper and each has already said that they aren't sufficiently binding, it's a political compromise not a legal document in their opinion.

I don't think that is the point here.  It's all down to the political interpretation of these latest changes.  It does open the door for the Brexiteers to change there stance on May's deal and vote for it, after saying all along that they wouldn't.  Whether or not there are significant changes is fairly irrelevant.  Minds are already made up, one way or another.  I am not saying it will happen that way, only that it gives them their wriggle room should they choose it.

Just now, bomber said:

JRM hasnt ruled out voting yes to Mays deal he is waiting to hear back from the DUP first,rather strange imo i would of thought he would be more interested in bojo and fellow brexiteers opinions,but he was never a proper brexiteer and only wanted it to gain an extra 15% on his £7 million shares windfall after the pound crashed as was proved on TV last night,should be in jail imo

That is a logical conclusion, the DUP are nearer to his business heart than the UK Parliament. They are all at the trough, it would be interesting to see how many have changed their money to Euro's already. Since 900 billion pounds in business has already left UK's shores I can imagine that quite a few directors of these companies are also MP's or MP's with shares in the companies.

Just now, dunroaming said:

I don't think that is the point here.  It's all down to the political interpretation of these latest changes.  It does open the door for the Brexiteers to change there stance on May's deal and vote for it, after saying all along that they wouldn't.  Whether or not there are significant changes is fairly irrelevant.  Minds are already made up, one way or another.  I am not saying it will happen that way, only that it gives them their wriggle room should they choose it.

good point, face saving anglo saxon style but I think she is heading for a defeat.

4 hours ago, LucysDad said:

GBP/EUR    1.1730

A little further away from Project Fear's "parity".

it did drop as low as €1.07 so not that far off,and dropped already from the above rate,your dreams come true and it will drop to €1.05-10 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

That is a logical conclusion, the DUP are nearer to his business heart than the UK Parliament. They are all at the trough, it would be interesting to see how many have changed their money to Euro's already. Since 900 billion pounds in business has already left UK's shores I can imagine that quite a few directors of these companies are also MP's or MP's with shares in the companies.

it seems half of brexiteer MPs are in it for personal gain,that leaves about 10% true brexiteers,more than enough reason to scrap the dream,

Archived