Sterling surges as May secures Brexit assurances, yen dips

webfact

4 minutes ago, bomber said:

it did drop as low as €1.07 so not that far off,and dropped already from the above rate,your dreams come true and it will drop to €1.05-10 

Over 10 years (pre-Brexit) I got 1.01 at a gas station in France.

1.17 is a nice improvement on that, backed up by a likely return to 1.25 before too long.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I don't think that is the point here.  It's all down to the political interpretation of these latest changes.  It does open the door for the Brexiteers to change there stance on May's deal and vote for it, after saying all along that they wouldn't.  Whether or not there are significant changes is fairly irrelevant.  Minds are already made up, one way or another.  I am not saying it will happen that way, only that it gives them their wriggle room should they choose it.

Yep, in other words it gives them a chance to save face

3 hours ago, Cobby said:

No deal no deal no deal 

is best for the uk 

as soon as we are out 

watch how fast the other countries 

pull out Europe is doomed and broke 

it will collapse very soon we are better on the outside looking at the euros fall 

Strange though isn't it, the pound orientates itself to the Euro and dollar not the other way around. The Euro area has already adjusted to a no deal scenario, the UK hasn't. It is funny reading about how the auto industry in Germany is collapsing, I still get the BMW firms newspaper sent to me each month, they have increased production to record levels.

Seemingly Cox has rubbished the " changes "..so there we go

The next critical point is at 11:30am UK time when the Attorney General Geoffrey Cox delivers his legal opinion on the changes to the HoC. If he says the changes are sufficiently binding the deal should get the backing from most of the ERG and the DUP. 

The next hour is going to be interesting! 

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

Over 10 years (pre-Brexit) I got 1.01 at a gas station in France.

1.17 is a nice improvement on that, backed up by a likely return to 1.25 before too long.

10 year average is around €1.27 ish if not more,correct 25 will be back when brexit is scrapped,had we joined the EU we would of entered at €1.60ish,just imagine all that money saved over the years going back into the UK economy,never mind we will always be poorer than the germans,franch,belgians.dutch,benelux and scandanavians,we might just fend of the romainians and poles.????

3 minutes ago, bomber said:

10 year average is around €1.27 ish if not more,correct 25 will be back when brexit is scrapped,had we joined the EU we would of entered at €1.60ish,just imagine all that money saved over the years going back into the UK economy,never mind we will always be poorer than the germans,franch,belgians.dutch,benelux and scandanavians,we might just fend of the romainians and poles.????

I'm trying to translate this into English. Are you saying we should have joined the Euro? 

1 minute ago, bomber said:

I do believe that you meant *joined the Euro* , rather than "joined the E.U." ?

Both begin with an "E" , but , very different meanings and its important to get these things correct

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Serious question. I have to purchase a piece of test equipment from UK. It's a thousand quid. Do I do the transaction right now or wait until tomorrow?

The difference in xrates in one day will be peanuts.  Just buy it. Pretty cheap for test equipment...... What is it an upscale Fluke or similar

12 minutes ago, bomber said:

I remain comfortable.

I have bought EURO @  1.50+  and I have bought EURO at 1.06.

Incidentally, what is the plural of EURO.

35 minutes ago, bomber said:

it seems half of brexiteer MPs are in it for personal gain,that leaves about 10% true brexiteers,more than enough reason to scrap the dream,

I think the vast majority of MP's are in it for personal gain.  I also think that initially many are not and come with good intentions and then get sucked into the cesspit of political life.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

I think the vast majority of MP's are in it for personal gain.  I also think that initially many are not and come with good intentions and then get sucked into the cesspit of political life.

Do you just think that through cynicism , or is there any tangible evidence in which you formed your opinion ?

4 hours ago, Cobby said:

No deal no deal no deal 

is best for the uk 

as soon as we are out 

watch how fast the other countries 

pull out Europe is doomed and broke 

it will collapse very soon we are better on the outside looking at the euros fall 

Below my post "What's with the Euro" from "Home Country Forum" that was closed by the Mod's:

- What's with the EU these days? The Brits want out, the Swissies don't want in. The new Emperor of France wants EU member states to finance their budget-deficits. Eastern European members are only in it for the money but not wanting to accept "European-Legislation". The future member states from the Balkan will only be in it for the money as well.
What European member countries will be left and willing to financially support all those "deadbeat-countries", only in it for the money?

Maybe the EU will die a "natural-death" a few years down the line.= Too many pigs at the fodder-through and not enough farmers willing and capable of feeding the many pigs at the fodder-through.
So be it!

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Do you just think that through cynicism , or is there any tangible evidence in which you formed your opinion ?

Cynicism in the main but watching what has happened over the last few years has shaped that cynicism.  Added to that Dominic Raab is my local MP and I have witnessed his performance from reasonably close quarters.

10 minutes ago, swissie said:

Below my post "What's with the Euro" from "Home Country Forum" that was closed by the Mod's:

- What's with the EU these days? The Brits want out, the Swissies don't want in. The new Emperor of France wants EU member states to finance their budget-deficits. Eastern European members are only in it for the money but not wanting to accept "European-Legislation". The future member states from the Balkan will only be in it for the money as well.
What European member countries will be left and willing to financially support all those "deadbeat-countries", only in it for the money?

Maybe the EU will die a "natural-death" a few years down the line.= Too many pigs at the fodder-through and not enough farmers willing and capable of feeding the many pigs at the fodder-through.
So be it!

If the EU continues in the same way then it is unlikely it will survive in the long term.  It needs radical change but I believe it knows that and as new leaders arrive I suspect that radical change will come.  It needs new voices and a new direction and there is no reason why that won't happen. 

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I do believe that you meant *joined the Euro* , rather than "joined the E.U." ?

Both begin with an "E" , but , very different meanings and its important to get these things correct

my mistake meant euro.

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Out of interest how many people posting on this thread actually live in Thailand. 5% .....10%...... 50%???

well under half i would think,i bet some returned returned home when the pound dropped to 50 never mind 40,they will now spend their time in spoonies dreaming of brexit and a weaker pound and trashed economy,their state pensions will still be the same and a pounds still worth a pound in spoonies.

30 minutes ago, bomber said:

well under half i would think,i bet some returned returned home when the pound dropped to 50 never mind 40,they will now spend their time in spoonies dreaming of brexit and a weaker pound and trashed economy,their state pensions will still be the same and a pounds still worth a pound in spoonies.

Their state pensions will go up in April though wont'em????

Whenever the pound surges on some Brexit tit bit I know it's time to rush out and transfer another 20,000 bahts worth.

Those extra 25 saleungs  mount up over a year to at least the price of a can of Leo .....

Maybe even a Heineken.

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Their state pensions will go up in April though wont'em????

is it april? i wouldnt know when pensions go up,but spoonies will be grateful for the extra income whenever it is

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Whenever the pound surges on some Brexit tit bit I know it's time to rush out and transfer another 20,000 bahts worth.

Those extra 25 saleungs  mount up over a year to at least the price of a can of Leo .....

Maybe even a Heineken.

you should hang fire a few weeks,brexit is coming it will be 50+ within days/weeks,this geezer down spoonies told me,also told me the EU is finished and england will win the next world cup,he's a bundle of blubber information

union jack fatty.jpg

2 minutes ago, evadgib said:

My point being that they don't go up in LoS.

www.pensionjustice.org 

i was well aware of that,more reason for the old geezers to come home and rejoice in the joys of brexit and freedom down the local spoonies,what could be better ???? 

Archived