Whats wrong with Beer Lao anyway

Nyezhov

Let me preface, if I may, that unlike your basic Brit, my life does not contain a number of hours each day to consume beer and ale, even warm and nasty beer, and then argue which one is hoppier. Too, unlike your basic Aussie, I dont drink gallons of the stuff and prize alcohol content over anything else.

And god forbid anyone confuses me with a German, hoisting his pure Munchen in a mug before visiting a Freikörperkultur Klub or putting on a Gummi suit and letting some fat Lederhurren excrete on him.

Further, I am not one of those snobs that drinks wierd grain mixtures while wearing a little fedora and uses terms like, hoppy, clear, sweet, hint of, note of, ad nauseum.

Just a fat old American who grew up with obscure yet legendary US/Canadian brews like Rolling Rock, Schaefer, Labatts 50 and Genee Creams. Nowadays, in the states its Yuengling, Rocks and Sapporo. Sometimes a Red Stripe.

So, anyway,  I like Beer Lao. I find it refreshing and tasty. Its does not bloat me and has no aftertaste. Even the burps are OK. 

So why the hatred of this nice and refreshing brew? Why do folks always dis it?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No hatred of beer Lao here.

I buy a few bottles of the lager and a few bottles of their black beer every supermarket trip.

At home, all well chilled, I open 1 bottle of lager and 1 bottle of black and mix 50/50.

Great taste, well worth a try.

Even I as a non drinker has heard about the quality of Beer Lao.

So you were commenting on people from the UK, Germany and Australia. I feel left out why did you not mention the stoned out of his head drunk Dutch guys.

And as we were commenting on other nationalities (guess everyone thinks Beer Loa is great). Don't Americans drink their beer in an pair of uncle sam shorts while watching the flag and singing god bless America ????

Madam Moon frequently visits Laos on business trips and always brings back her duty free allowance for me. I enjoy its sharper, more malty flavour to the insipid choices that Thailand has on offer. (at least, those available in the mon & pop stores)

My other alternative choices are San Miquel, Tiger and Federbrau.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Madam Moon frequently visits Laos on business trips and always brings back her duty free allowance for me. I enjoy its sharper, more malty flavour to the insipid choices that Thailand has on offer. (at least, those available in the mon & pop stores)

My other alternative choices are San Miquel, Tiger and Federbrau.

Fedrebrau, my only alternate to Beer Lao. 

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

feel left out why did you not mention the stoned out of his head drunk Dutch guys.

Dutch people are pretty cool, the orderliness of the German without being anal and going through periods of homicidal aggresssion every 50 years or so.

Beer lao is my favourite S.E. Asian beer. Problem is that I don't often see it for sale where I live and have never seen it on draught in Thailand. Had draught Beer Lao in Vientiane (the brewery is just outside Vientiane) and it was an excellent pint.

I'm surprised Red Horse doesn't get more of a run for it's money.

Hard to find but it's brewed by San Miguel and still has plenty of strength/taste.

I can't stand drinks like Leo, it's what my old man used to call knob wash, as it was only good for washing your d1ck with

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Beer lao is my favourite S.E. Asian beer. Problem is that I don't often see it for sale where I live and have never seen it on draught in Thailand. Had draught Beer Lao in Vientiane (the brewery is just outside Vientiane) and it was an excellent pint.

Concur.

Until i went to Cambodia.

Thought the Angkor was a wonderful drop, and another Khmer brand that i've forgotten.

I hear good things about Viet beer too, which i will try one day in the near future.

25 minutes ago, Justin Side said:

Probably the best beer available in Thailand. A little expensive though.

Maybe thats the gravamen of the hatred. Cost.

Me...one, maybe two. So if its 30B more? Chicken Feed.

But to a dedicated swiller, maybe its too mutt.

Why in the beer drinking milieu am I always reminded of Pynchons "Suck Hour" in V? Read it. Demented.

Not really a beer (or any other alcohol) drinker now. I've not tasted a Thai beer I like yet. 

When I do have a yearning for a beer, it's only Beer Lao Dark all the way for me. Very light consumption, though - maybe one or two small bottles a month, if that, is my lot.

I used to  buy English brews from Wishbeer but their pricing was too much for me. Apart from a pint or two with friends when I go back "home", beer isn't important at all.

28 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

I'm surprised Red Horse doesn't get more of a run for it's money.

Hard to find but it's brewed by San Miguel and still has plenty of strength/taste.

I can't stand drinks like Leo, it's what my old man used to call knob wash, as it was only good for washing your d1ck with

In flip land red horse is usually only drunk warm by ladyboys. 

43 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Concur.

Until i went to Cambodia.

Thought the Angkor was a wonderful drop, and another Khmer brand that i've forgotten.

I hear good things about Viet beer too, which i will try one day in the near future.

Drank a lot of Angkor when Cambodia was my go to destination, good but I still prefer Beer Lao.

If you get to Saigon, have a few beers in Seventeen Saloon, good selection of beers and the most amazing Pilipino Rock band ever. Get a seat near the stage, the lead singer is a stunner, especially after a few bottles of Viet beer.

Always liked the Dark been drinking it for years, Went over to Loa In Jan and found this bevvy of beauties The White not bad a bit Hoegardeen-ish, The Amber a new firm favourite but havent seen it available in Thailand as yet

Beerlao.jpg

It is hated by the Thai beer monopoly as it is better than any Thai beer with the exception on the new premium beers.   I like it better than snowy and snowy is pretty good.  It is B30 a can in Cambodia and heard you can get it Taiwan too for cheaper than what you have to pay in LoS.  The only beer better is Asahi Dry

Archived