Motorbike driver killed after SUV runs red light in Koh Kaew, Phuket

webfact

Motorbike driver killed after SUV runs red light in Koh Kaew, Phuket

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

DSC_4416.jpg

A motorbike driver has died after he collided with an SUV that ran a red light in Koh Kaew last night.

The Phuket City Police report that they were notified of the incident at 8pm at a Koh Kaew intersection.

Police and emergency responders arrived to find a motorbike stuck in front of an SUV. The motorbike driver was taken to Mission Hospital Phuket where he was pronounced dead.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/motorbike-driver-killed-after-suv-runs-red-light-in-koh-kaew-phuket

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-12

i have said this before but worth repeating if you are on a scooter/motorbike, wait 2 seconds, as you can gaurantee the Thais (and there will be many of them) will jump the red light, in so doing they will have the accident and not you, simples, you can then ride round the carnage and continue on your merry way, works for me, ha, ha.

16 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

i have said this before but worth repeating if you are on a scooter/motorbike, wait 2 seconds, as you can gaurantee the Thais (and there will be many of them) will jump the red light, in so doing they will have the accident and not you, simples, you can then ride round the carnage and continue on your merry way, works for me, ha, ha.

Unfortunately that won't save you from the many other ways you can die on Thai roads.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

I've seen many do as you say, but have been taken out from behind as they sit still...

when police refuse to enforce the laws and thais dont really care to follow the road rules what chance is there for those that do the right thing. Every time you go out on the road you take your life in your hands due to the total lack of common sense of thai riders/drivers, few if any even know the road rules let alone follow them, its all me me  me, total lack of patience, dont want to have to wait for others even at red lights, police dont give a sh*t and just hide in their offices or are the crap drivers/riders causing the accidents by not following the road rules. Thai drivers know the police wont pull them over so dont do the right  thing, will not change until the police are forced to actually go out and police the roads

19 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Normally bikes here like to take the chance a few secs before light turns green, assuming all cars will stop during yellow light.

Actually they're watching the lights from the crossing road. When they get a red, the bikes start moving.

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

I do that all the time, I never ever start quickly when the light goes to green I look first.

6 hours ago, seajae said:

when police refuse to enforce the laws and thais dont really care to follow the road rules what chance is there for those that do the right thing. Every time you go out on the road you take your life in your hands due to the total lack of common sense of thai riders/drivers, few if any even know the road rules let alone follow them, its all me me  me, total lack of patience, dont want to have to wait for others even at red lights, police dont give a sh*t and just hide in their offices or are the crap drivers/riders causing the accidents by not following the road rules. Thai drivers know the police wont pull them over so dont do the right  thing, will not change until the police are forced to actually go out and police the roads

There are mobile, traffic police.

There are radar traffic enforcement police.

There are special detail traffic, mobile enforcement police.  

All are unheard of in Thailand...except for the occassional photo ops to show off some new toys. The toys are then put away and the the world of "Mad Max" roadways resumes as usual.

7 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Ahhhh- thank goodness someone from PHUKET posted on this story. ????

I see we are getting the 'elsewhere in the Universe ' commentators again.

It baffles me how the cops could even be contemplating charges against the driver when the bike rider was ghost riding. 

Once in my early days in Thailand with a previous gf, me as her pillion rider, she nonchalantly drove thorough a red light. When I pointed this out to her, her response was ..... "oops".

As for intersection crashes (not accidents), defensive driving could avoid most of these. My eyes are in full scan mode when entering/crossing an intersection or traveling past a side street, a proactive habit that has served me well and avoided many mishaps.

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

I see Thai drivers every time i go out running red lights from motorbikes to trucks the just dont want to wait or there on the mobile .

I often wonder if these drivers who run red lights have no driving licence and, therefore, would not have taken the compulsory colour blindness test.

In the media there are two different versions of this accident. One states the pickup ran a red light, the other that the bike rider was "ghosting".

Obviously I have nothing better to do, so I checked the scene on Google Earth.  It's inconclusive which of the versions is correct, but during my checking I identified at least 5 riders going the wrong way just there.

In this screen grab you can see two coming out of a side street, very close to the accident scene, and turning against traffic. 

ghost.JPG

Archived