Chiang Mai has world’s worst air as fires continue to rage in the North

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, malibukid said:

lol, the Chinese will feel right a home.  what's the deal with people from Asian countries?  is it loss of face to complain?  keep your mouth shut and die?  any ideas?  i studied Anthro at U. of Hawaii and i still don't get it.

I live in the Buriram area where sugar cane burning is a daily/nightly occurrence. Complaining to the authorities is met with comments like "It's only a short time so not a problem".

Its a joke. In Kanchanaburi its measuring worse on my pm reader. Its not classed as a major city? Id be interested to see world towns then. Im sure Thailand will get all top spots. It's insanity. We had people lighting fires behind our house again in public land which is totally illegal and we contacted the taskforce in the area to stop it. No one came again. Officials do nothing and they cant. All officials are corrupt and sell public land in my area and all the locals know it and therefore threaten officials if they cant do what they want they will unite to get rid of the officials. This is a real occurence in my area. Its all because of a lack of law and order greed and selfishness. Its chaos.

17 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I live on the south eastern outskirts of the city, and yeah, the air is seriously bad.  On the bright side, maybe it will keep all the Chinese away.  But I doubt it. lol

You couldn't pay me to set foot in (Phuket, Pattaya or BKK) Chiang Mai ever again. I'll stick to the (north) south, thank you very much.

im in cambodia and my wife was upset the other day seeing the thais blaming the khmers for the poor air quality lol. the thais can look up at the mountain and see its on fire yet some blame cambodia lol. this kind of attitude is why i don't go to thailand much anymore-its always someone else fault in thailand- burmese, khmer, foreigner-insert name. 

1 hour ago, Cobby said:

Yet another nail in the coffin of Thailand 

when will this stupid government wake up 

to be honest that’s all I can say 

incomprehensible how they can destroy a country in every way 

The air 'quality' was the same during the former government.

I live and have my property in Chiang Mai. Fortunately I can escape with my family to to the south coast every years during these crazy months.

after 7 years in the same situation, I have a word for these Indolents, incompetents, ignorants, selfishs, irresponsables who makes, of this wonderful city the worst danger city for drive and breathe.

KILLERS !

2 hours ago, WeekendRaider said:

we need a 'girlie man' rationalization.   it only affects children.  no, that don't work.  what a sec,  what about the stuff that we can't see, smell or taste yet accounts for all our food (soy and corn go into animal feeds), our air, life and.... probably we believe now even accounts for why we left the trees 8 mya. 

the stuff we only have 60 years of related basic oceanographic data on to figure out how it might be connected to the monsoon cycle that makes Thailand at all livable. 

there we go.  it's also exactly what every commercial airline passenger emits, to "travel" for essential activities.... per kilometer (each one).... times 285 grams and some of which persists for more than 100 years.... but we can't see it, smell it and it won't make us cough until.... it's a full blown EN and not just barely about neutral as it is in early March 2019 right now.  but it makes the world's economy go by, such as fo0lks who own golf resorts and fancy hotels (the Trumps).  according to what we can easily find on Google Scholar.  so be thankful!  it could (I'm a very optimistic kind of guy) be a heck of a lot worse.  

A die hard Republican supporter in the States says pollution is good for your health, as the party dismantles the EPA. Rock on! I feel stronger already.

You just have to believe.

Can you vape in a mushroom zone?

Sometimes I feel like a mushroom ... but people keep me in the dark and keep setting fire to me.

But more seriously, is it about only mushrooms, as I thought it was about preparing for rice planting.  I thought up a solution for the rice that one day I intended to implement (if I could get a work permit anywhere near the farming industry), but if it's mainly about burning the bush around surrounding areas then it's back to the drawing board.

I'd like to know the actual issue that incentivises the burning so I can noodle the issue for solutions.  What's your take?

18 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Has anyone been arrested yet for starting these fires,they

are usually started by villagers  in the areas,so they can

find mushrooms easier when the rainy season starts,

On 1 March the no burn ban started,bit late as they started burning

in February,so once again the authorities have had great success

in combating the burning, which happens every year????,next year

will be no different.

regards worgeordie

As is indigent to northern Thailand's "way of doing things', what I question is why those who are so used to this don't feel their lungs gasp and inability to  even breathe. And so....'what" do the inhabitants think? Do they think everything is ok when they have to wear masks or feel "something" is up? I understand typical "burning" in northern Thailand, yet when do you draw the line/ Do you know when to do so? I fear not.

Wow!

Now that is a record to be proud of.

No 1, ahead of Dhaka, Bangladesh in 2nd place.

One of the largest and most densely populated cities in the world with in excess of 14mil inhabitants.

Well done Thailand.

Congrats!

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

I live in the Buriram area where sugar cane burning is a daily/nightly occurrence. Complaining to the authorities is met with comments like "It's only a short time so not a problem".

In the US, southern areas of the US burn as well (rural areas and typical of historical routines), however it's not on the level as to cause respiratory distress as Chiang Mai or BKK. Something is wrong....figure it out.

45 minutes ago, johnnykak said:

im in cambodia and my wife was upset the other day seeing the thais blaming the khmers for the poor air quality lol. the thais can look up at the mountain and see its on fire yet some blame cambodia lol. this kind of attitude is why i don't go to thailand much anymore-its always someone else fault in thailand- burmese, khmer, foreigner-insert name. 

I certainly understand...no one is repsonsible anymore and seemingly simple issues no one cares to acknowledge. I go to bed every night wondering  why people make it so much harder than it should be. Wasted? then acknowledge it tomorrow.  But never expect to offer a lame excuse.

It is useless to complain since it has always be that way and Chiang Mai is too far away from the decision makers. There is only 1 option: Pack the stuff and leave... This is what I have decided to do after living in CM for 2 years already. It is our duty to inform other people who intend to live here or worse, want to invest some money. I am almost 60 and this is the worst health situation I have ever been in my entire life... this year I felt my eyes burning the first time on January 20....and it will last until end of April..... Kop kun kraap Thailand !!

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Has anyone been arrested yet for starting these fires,they

are usually started by villagers  in the areas,so they can

find mushrooms easier when the rainy season starts,

On 1 March the no burn ban started,bit late as they started burning

in February,so once again the authorities have had great success

in combating the burning, which happens every year????,next year

will be no different.

regards worgeordie

Very, very, and most very rarely I ever see wild ducks in Thailand. You know like the ones you would see around springtime in the West with about 8 / 12 ducklings following.  Now why is that ? 

‘What seems to be going on is a total lack of consideration for others and educational ignorance on so many levels. 

3 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

Very, very, and most very rarely I ever see wild ducks in Thailand. You know like the ones you would see around springtime in the West with about 8 / 12 ducklings following.  Now why is that ? 

‘What seems to be going on is a total lack of consideration for others and educational ignorance on so many levels. 

agreed for so many reasons...yet the reasons that you and I see are obviously not seen by the people in question. And that is understandable as i am not there, so I do not get the totality of it all. I don't get why people 's lungs are secondary to their living, yet one obviously has minimal or no choices. I get it.

Glad I headed south this year, and will again next year, and the next, and the year after that, if I'm still kicking. Nothing to burn in this part of Mexico. Chilli peppers a bit hot though. ( that blue stuff at the top of the photo...SKY! )

005.JPG

Well the Governor has made a speech! You can find it online on the Thai news sites.

He basically says its caused by air currents, and burning in other provinces and on the border. Then of course, all depts are coming together to solve the problem.

Where is the national news on this, it is a national disaster, it requires action on a national level, not just a speech from the provincial governor.

Totally useless!

And because of these less-than-safe scenarios, may countries experience the same for whatever reason(s). Ans when you and I are "safe", we lose sight of those who experience loss of safety as well as taking a daily visit to a well. How we are spoiled compared to those less fortunate. And I have seen poor in Thailand and then I was pissed because of the country's priorities. When I see a mother with their child on the street, then there is a problem. So much for the services available for those down on their luck....and even though I understand, lately funds for expats. I want funds for poor Thais......sorry.

Archived