BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Chiang Mai has world’s worst air as fires continue to rage in the North

We are advised to stay indoors but isn't it the same air we are breathing? Does air conditioning clean the air?

Harassing the locals and keeping tourists away for several months.  One can just wonder, how much this is costing Thailand in lost revenue on a yearly basis.

45 minutes ago, johnnykak said:

im in cambodia and my wife was upset the other day seeing the thais blaming the khmers for the poor air quality lol. the thais can look up at the mountain and see its on fire yet some blame cambodia lol. this kind of attitude is why i don't go to thailand much anymore-its always someone else fault in thailand- burmese, khmer, foreigner-insert name. 

I certainly understand...no one is repsonsible anymore and seemingly simple issues no one cares to acknowledge. I go to bed every night wondering  why people make it so much harder than it should be. Wasted? then acknowledge it tomorrow.  But never expect to offer a lame excuse.

1 hour ago, malibukid said:

500 baht fine

While Vaping gives you 3 years in jail and deportation.

It is useless to complain since it has always be that way and Chiang Mai is too far away from the decision makers. There is only 1 option: Pack the stuff and leave... This is what I have decided to do after living in CM for 2 years already. It is our duty to inform other people who intend to live here or worse, want to invest some money. I am almost 60 and this is the worst health situation I have ever been in my entire life... this year I felt my eyes burning the first time on January 20....and it will last until end of April..... Kop kun kraap Thailand !!

As one Thai explained to me as I proposed machinery and plows in lieu of burning...

"A match is a lot cheaper"

Tru but totally STUPID!!!!!!

19 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Has anyone been arrested yet for starting these fires,they

are usually started by villagers  in the areas,so they can

find mushrooms easier when the rainy season starts,

On 1 March the no burn ban started,bit late as they started burning

in February,so once again the authorities have had great success

in combating the burning, which happens every year🙄,next year

will be no different.

regards worgeordie

Very, very, and most very rarely I ever see wild ducks in Thailand. You know like the ones you would see around springtime in the West with about 8 / 12 ducklings following.  Now why is that ? 

‘What seems to be going on is a total lack of consideration for others and educational ignorance on so many levels. 

Any fires or thick smoke affecting the homes of the judiciary on the slopes of Doi Suthep???

19 minutes ago, Saladin said:

We are advised to stay indoors but isn't it the same air we are breathing? Does air conditioning clean the air?

Only if you have the correct filter on your aircon.  If not, wear a N95 mask, or buy an air purifier.

3 minutes ago, mindfulness said:

Very, very, and most very rarely I ever see wild ducks in Thailand. You know like the ones you would see around springtime in the West with about 8 / 12 ducklings following.  Now why is that ? 

‘What seems to be going on is a total lack of consideration for others and educational ignorance on so many levels. 

agreed for so many reasons...yet the reasons that you and I see are obviously not seen by the people in question. And that is understandable as i am not there, so I do not get the totality of it all. I don't get why people 's lungs are secondary to their living, yet one obviously has minimal or no choices. I get it.

Glad I headed south this year, and will again next year, and the next, and the year after that, if I'm still kicking. Nothing to burn in this part of Mexico. Chilli peppers a bit hot though. ( that blue stuff at the top of the photo...SKY! )

005.JPG

Well the Governor has made a speech! You can find it online on the Thai news sites.

He basically says its caused by air currents, and burning in other provinces and on the border. Then of course, all depts are coming together to solve the problem.

Where is the national news on this, it is a national disaster, it requires action on a national level, not just a speech from the provincial governor.

Totally useless!

And because of these less-than-safe scenarios, may countries experience the same for whatever reason(s). Ans when you and I are "safe", we lose sight of those who experience loss of safety as well as taking a daily visit to a well. How we are spoiled compared to those less fortunate. And I have seen poor in Thailand and then I was pissed because of the country's priorities. When I see a mother with their child on the street, then there is a problem. So much for the services available for those down on their luck....and even though I understand, lately funds for expats. I want funds for poor Thais......sorry.

14 hours ago, DNPBC0 said:

There are no 'safe levels' for PM2.5 - except zero.

Except in Thailand where they tell you the safe limit is 50!!!!