Chiang Mai has world’s worst air as fires continue to rage in the North

webfact

On 3/12/2019 at 7:29 AM, Berkshire said:

I can confirm.  The air in CM has been awful last couple of days.  Just awful.

I left ten years ago and it was really bad then.  We used to head for a beach when it got unbearable but once we had a child growing up and going to school we knew it was time to leave.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, khunpa said:

Although I love Chiang Mai, the smoke is really starting to piss me off.

Shame on the government for doing nothing!!! 

Guess they are only able to clean a few beaches and do some stupid crack down announcements. 

Impotent government comes to mind.

There must be 100's if not more army personnel in Chiang Mai with little to do unless there's a war we havent heard about.

Why are they not out putting out fires and arresting those responsible ?  Are fires hard to find ?

It is not just Chiang Mai and the north. Today Udon Thani has been as bad as Chiang Mai (over 150 AQI and PM2.5 at over 80) and is the worst i have ever seen in 10 years. You can smell and taste it.

6 minutes ago, rickudon said:

It is not just Chiang Mai and the north. Today Udon Thani has been as bad as Chiang Mai (over 150 AQI and PM2.5 at over 80) and is the worst i have ever seen in 10 years. You can smell and taste it.

PM2.5 over 300 in Chiang mai.  We dream of only 80 ???? 

6 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

PM2.5 over 300 in Chiang mai.  We dream of only 80 ???? 

When. AQI was 299 in the OP and PM2.5 usually about half of that. In Udon today our AQI is only a couple of points lower than Chiang Mai (170, Udon 166) and the PM2.5 is 84. I'll give you that Chiang Mai is consistently bad, ours is highest that i have seen, usual AQI until this month was 50-80.

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

When. AQI was 299 in the OP and PM2.5 usually about half of that. In Udon today our AQI is only a couple of points lower than Chiang Mai (170, Udon 166) and the PM2.5 is 84. I'll give you that Chiang Mai is consistently bad, ours is highest that i have seen, usual AQI until this month was 50-80.

the last 3 days.  don't believe everything you read in the nation.  pm2.5 of 300 is AQI of 350.  We've had AQI of over 400 in Chiang Mai & other parts of northern Thailand.   http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/san-kamphaeng-hospital/ for truer readings than reported in Thai media.  I have my own pm2.5 meter.  Get the same readings as those shown on aqicn.org

Old news if you watch the global air pollution reports. Not only that, stations in the Chiangmai Mai area 2weeks ago, day after day were reporting Aqi in the 500's until they were switched off. No matter. I was drinking and chatting with a long time Hong Kong and Tokyo ex-Patrick and he already knows it's not possible to be worse than those places, he's ready to plonk down for a big house to retire and relax in. it's the problem with everything these days, enough people are in denial of reality so things get exponentially worse everywhere, It's an affront to most people's pride to admit that anything is wrong with anything.

2 hours ago, Samuel Smith said:

the last 3 days.  don't believe everything you read in the nation.  pm2.5 of 300 is AQI of 350.  We've had AQI of over 400 in Chiang Mai & other parts of northern Thailand.   http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/san-kamphaeng-hospital/ for truer readings than reported in Thai media.  I have my own pm2.5 meter.  Get the same readings as those shown on aqicn.org

The Thai government has its own, different AQI scale than the more common U.S. EPA one used by AirVisual, AQIcn.org and others. You start out with the same mcg values for PM2.5, and the conversion to the Thai AQI scale will lead to different numbers and different warning levels than the U.S. one.  That's one of the reasons for the variations that people encounter.

The other is that the Thai government PM2.5 data is often reported as the average mcg figure for the prior 24 hours, whereas AirVisual, AQICN.org and others give real-time or close to real-time readings, not ones that take the average of all the hourly readings during the prior 24 hours, the latter approach tending to lessen the actual spikes that sometimes occur.

12 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I shouldn't be surprised if it makes them feel right at home.

Rooster

A couple of years ago, asked by a Chinese tourist about life in Chiang Mai, I said the usual pleasantries but mentioned that the air pollution during 2-3 months of the year is really bad due to the fires.

Her comment: oh but it's all natural then!

50 is the standard top limit.

But as long as CP and the cronies run the corn and sugarcane business .........

Honestly, does anyone down at the Tourism Authority of Thailand consider this as mind blowing tourism attraction? Trust me, this will haunt (quite correctly though) the industry - get ready for more Chinese to replace the much better paying and behaving alien from fair-skin country ........... Pathetic and proof enough of absolute incompetence by the ruling government which is queueing up for an elected term! 

On 3/12/2019 at 2:25 PM, webfact said:

northern provinces of the Kingdom

Furthest central north is OK I think the Suk mountain range and forest hills with lot of lakes rivers and moats about maybe help.

Some fireflies in my bit of farmland last evening that says something.

Archived