We are getting married

Lamphen

Good afternoon, 

My fiancée from Buriram and I have been together for 6 years, and are now planning to get married in July this year. I'm searching for a step-by-step guide on the various steps involved with regards to papers and process.

What documents do I need and how do we treat these documents? I'm a divorced Norwegian, age 50+, been living and working in Belgium last 10 years. Not applying for a visa just yet, sorting the wedding first.

May I kindly ask if anyone have any resent experience to share please?

Kind regards

Lamphen

7 minutes ago, Lamphen said:

May I kindly ask if anyone have any resent experience to share please?

A freind of mine recently got married and resented every bit of the experience !    LOL

The paperwork you need to get married in July, is an outbound ticket in June.

Only joking. Good luck.

I would just leave it for the girl to arrange, (they like arranging marriages), then all you have to do is show up for the ceremony at the temple. You can then register the marriage at the local Amphur office. Then again, there are the Thai men who often don't sign the registry.... easier to do a runner later.

Remember, if she marries a Farang and signs the registry she loses some of her rights as a Thai citizen.... such as, she can no longer buy property.

Me, I didn't want a ceremony. I'm camera shy. I told my missus I'd marry her but only at the Amphur. We were in and out, married, inside half an hour. Never paid Sin Sot. Still happily married 13+ years later.

24 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Remember, if she marries a Farang and signs the registry she loses some of her rights as a Thai citizen.... such as, she can no longer buy property.

Do you not mean 'no longer NEEDS to buy property', the Falang will do that.

But seriously, I never heard that one before. I know plenty of Thai ladies married to foreigners who buy their property.

41 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

That has not been correct for almost 2 decades now. My wife owns land.

Ok it is time to end the nonsense now and get back on topic.

To the OP.

The first step is to get a affirmation of permit to marry at the Norwegian embassy. I found some info on the embassy website about it using Google translate. See: https://www.norway.no/en/thailand/for-nordmenn/bistand-til-nordmenn/informasjon-2/

Then the affirmation has to be translated to Thai and the translation certified by the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA in Bangkok.

I suggest you check with the Amphoe where you plan on registering your marriage to find out if they have any odd requirements such as having your passport certified and translated or your birth certificate.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Indeed do not believe it was ever true by law but issue was getting land registered as there was no provision for that when married to a foreigner.  As said provision is now part of law so in most cases it is not a problem.

Foreigner needs to obtain letter that he is suitable for marriage from his Embassy so you need to check what they require as first step.

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
59 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

A friend of mine had to divorce his Thai wife so she could buy property. Though I suspect, this being Thailand, the rule varies from one Amphur to the next.

3 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

A friend of mine had to divorce his Thai wife so she could buy property. Though I suspect, this being Thailand, the rule varies from one Amphur to the next.

your friend got scammed

25 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

The law is the same everywhere. 

An Amphoe has nothing to do with land and property purchases. It is done at the provincial land office.

18 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I would just leave it for the girl to arrange, (they like arranging marriages), then all you have to do is show up for the ceremony at the temple. You can then register the marriage at the local Amphur office. Then again, there are the Thai men who often don't sign the registry.... easier to do a runner later.

Rubbish. She loses no rights whatsoever

There is no need for a village ceremony at all. 

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

this is a topic that should be pinned if it is answered correctly.

It would be hard to have a pinned topic about it since there are many variances from the embassy side of things. Some want much more than others and some can take months to get done. Checking the embassy website or contacting them is the first step

Same for Amphoes that vary in their requirements. That is important since some Amphoes want things that are difficult to get and it might require a 2nd trip to a embassy to get a passport certified and then a translation of it.

18 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

maybe that was what he told her so she'd sign the divorce papers??

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

This is completely incorrect.

My wife had no plobrem buying our house (with my money). She has made a Will which gives me the right to remain here until I die.

All the OP need to do is make one phone call to the embassy in Bangkok. They are normally very helpful. Marriage can easily be done at the local Amphur office.

After all, it is only a signature and takes you half an hour. Up to the Amphur if you need a divorce paper from your own embassy. Or proof that you are not married already.

Of course, the female will turn it into the biggest bill you have seen since you came into this country. You have my deepest condole....  Best of luck

22 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

I would just leave it for the girl to arrange, (they like arranging marriages),

What is there to "arrange"? Papers to be confirmed in BKK (use a local agent if you don't live inBKK) 1500baht if I remember right, visit to the the local Amphur to get your marriage papers, 40 something baht. Hitched.

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

What is there to "arrange"? Papers to be confirmed in BKK (use a local agent if you don't live inBKK) 1500baht if I remember right, visit to the the local Amphur to get your marriage papers, 40 something baht. Hitched.

40 bath now.Not bad to sign youre life away ????

Hi all,

I'm gonna marry soon and the Amphur Doi Saket in Chiang Mai asks me for affirmation to marry document in Thai.

My Embassy tells me that the document should be accepted in English.

Anyone know if any Amphur arround Chiang Mai accept that document in English?

In the case that I have to translate it into Thai, does anyone know if the passport that I also have to translate should be collated and sealed by the embassy or it isn't necessary?

Thank you.

Hi all,
I'm gonna marry soon and the Amphur Doi Saket in Chiang Mai asks me for affirmation to marry document in Thai.
My Embassy tells me that the document should be accepted in English.
Anyone know if any Amphur arround Chiang Mai accept that document in English?
In the case that I have to translate it into Thai, does anyone know if the passport that I also have to translate should be collated and sealed by the embassy or it isn't necessary?
Thank you.
If you need translation services, I used the Language Dept at CM University, had all Thai docs translated there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

23 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

strange, we went in and bought land this morning, all in my wifes name of course but I had to sign paperwork as we are married, think someone is giving you bad info, any thai can buy land, has nothing to do with who they are married to

24 minutes ago, roo860 said:

If you need translation services, I used the Language Dept at CM University, had all Thai docs translated there.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The problem is in Chiang Mai there isn't Spanish Consulate. If finally I have to traduce this document I have to do it in Bangkok because later the Spanish Embassy has to check and seal it.

I also need to know if the passport translated into Thai has to be collated and sealed by the embassy or it is not necessary and I could do it in any translation office in Chiang Mai.

Archived