We are getting married

Lamphen

They may require a certified copy so need to ask the District Office involved.  For sure the affirmation letter has to be officially translated. reviewed by MFA and filed by them and a copy provided for use at district office.  And they will check with MFA.

OP, I have started the paperwork today in Bangkok. Have been to the local amphur before and they would/could not tell us what paperwork they required. Just said what ever the MFA needed (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Checked with the Australian embassy website that says that you need to sign a statutory declaration that you are divorced/never married/widower which they certify..this is a MUST have.

The embassy advice is that the MFA/amphur also require them to see the original papers for the divorce etc. (see below as this may not be correct).

The site also says that some amphur require a certified copy of your passport but as stated above our amphur was not helpful.

So after doing the statutory declaration and showing the embassy the original divorce papers (that they did not certify) we went off to a nearby translation service without the certified passport. As we live up country we wanted them to get the clearance from the MFA instead of waiting 2-4 days in Bangkok.

They said that we MUST have:

1. the original stat. dec. that they would translate

2. the certified copy of the passport that they would translate (so we had to go back to the embassy to get it + pay the ridiculous fee)

3. a copy of the divorce papers, NOT an original, that they would translate.

The paperwork has now been left with them to make the application to the MFA and they will mail everything to us next week. All this for a fee of 3400 baht.

Do not know if I am allowed to name them (Worldwide Translation)but they are at 139/5 Wireless Road.

If you are going to get a translation service to lodge the application for you I suggest contacting them to see what they need before going to your embassy.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:51 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

I would just leave it for the girl to arrange, (they like arranging marriages), then all you have to do is show up for the ceremony at the temple. You can then register the marriage at the local Amphur office. Then again, there are the Thai men who often don't sign the registry.... easier to do a runner later.

Remember, if she marries a Farang and signs the registry she loses some of her rights as a Thai citizen.... such as, she can no longer buy property.

I think the not allowed to buy/own property has been repealed. 

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Much easier to just have a village wedding.

I wish I'd done that.

You can do that but its not a wedding/marriage in any regard. It may satisfy a Thai girl/family as she considers she is married but Thailand ,home country, immigration, land office etc will not consider you to be married. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Peterw42 said:

You can do that but its not a wedding/marriage in any regard. It may satisfy a Thai girl/family as she considers she is married but Thailand ,home country, immigration, land office etc will not consider you to be married. 

That would be why I should have had a village wedding.

Thank you Greasy Fingers for your detailed information.

I've realised that it is a bit more complex than what I initially thought.

The fact that I have been 10 years in Belgium adding to the challenge as I apparently need some papers from both Belgium and Norway.

All papers need to be legalised by the respective ministry of foreign affairs, then translated to Thai, and then legalised again by the Thai ministry.

I might get there in time for the planned wedding ????

Archived