Retirement visa refused in Chiang Mai

I have tried to to renew my retirement visa in Chiang Mai just today. I wanted to use the combination method of getting regular payments, 2 from Holland totaling more then 20,000 baht a month and depositing more 600.000 baht in my saving account for 3 months. The regular payments have been going in for more then 2 years which shows in passbook.

My visa has been refused. According the officer I had to show them a list of payments of where the money was coming from. Since the pensions are coming from the Netherlands only a yearly statements is issued for a total amount. When I've asked them how I could find out about these rules, I've received no answer.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Are your transfers shown as coming from abroad?

You can use a proof for you annual pension to prove the source of you income.

Do you have an affidavit from the the Dutch embassy to prove your income?

• Like 1

Hi Joe

Yes the payments coming in Bangkok bank under FTT, the letter of the bank even explained what FTT means Foreign Telegraphic Transfers. The proof that I get from Holland is in Dutch. I can not really go to the Dutch embassy because I'm not Dutch any more, I became a Australian a while ago, and because the Dutch government does not allow dual citizenship. Because of the changes of the requirements I had to leave it very late. My visa is running out on 13 March I've got a 7 day visa extension so I can get out of the country on Friday. It is very frustrating that there is now way of finding out these silly things before you apply. 

19 minutes ago, molen02 said:

The proof that I get from Holland is in Dutch.

You could have it translated to Thai so that immigration would accept it.

It seems you best option is get a single entry non-o visa and then try again during the last 30 days entry from the visa.

You could show the 600k baht, proof of income going into the bank your translated pension statement to get it in Savannakhet or Penang.

• Like 1

After all I said. you wonder why they want to know where the money is coming from. It is a monthly payment in my account from overseas for the last couple of years. That as far as I under stand is needed to comply with the law.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, molen02 said:

Joe I go back to Sydney I probably top the account up to 800.000. Can I get a single non O visa in Sydney?

You cannot get a single entry non-o visa anywhere in Australia for being 50 or over for retirement. You can only get a OA long stay visa at the embassy in Canberra or the consulate in Sydney.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This inspired me to check the website of my private pension provider.  They just send an annual 1099 tax document.  Fortunately, I can logon to the pension provider's website and printout what looks like a paystub for each month, complete with a color logo of the company.  I guess that's what I'll do before my next  retirement extension for each month to provide something that looks like "proof of monthly pension income".  Fortunately, it's in English.  I can't believe that CM Imm. are so childish as to want something that looks like this as proof.

They should accept a annual statement.

I think CM are just continuing the same requirements they did for those with income affidavits for a while.

20 minutes ago, NancyL said:

This inspired me to check the website of my private pension provider.  They just send an annual 1099 tax document.  Fortunately, I can logon to the pension provider's website and printout what looks like a paystub for each month, complete with a color logo of the company.  I guess that's what I'll do before my next  retirement extension for each month to provide something that looks like "proof of monthly pension income".  Fortunately, it's in English.  I can't believe that CM Imm. are so childish as to want something that looks like this as proof.

1099's should be sent at the latest by Jan 31.

You just got it now?

Also, sorry I bet they will not accept an annual statement.  They will have no idea what it is and I bet reject it.

12 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Would it not be the easiest way to fill up your thai account to 800k asap, then come back with a tv and avoid all the paperwork wich is needed to rpoof your pension?

Yes I think.

That is what I have done for my July extension.

No worries, no hassle.

Unfortunately, many of the monthly attempts are going to be challenged for this or that.  Maybe a lot of BS on immigrations part but it is what it is, each office may do things differently.

The 800 k is solid.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, molen02 said:

Do you know what is required as far as paperwork to do the first 90 day non O visa.

I'm renting a house so i assume that my TM30 would be still valid when I come back

The general requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80 (click Eng at the top of the page to change from Thai) It says you need at least 15 days remaining on your entry but CM wants at least 21 days. I suggest you check with them to confirm what the want.

It think will have to check in at immigration to have them stamp the receipt for your TM30 report to update it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes I think.

That is what I have done for my July extension.

No worries, no hassle.

Unfortunately, many of the monthly attempts are going to be challenged for this or that.  Maybe a lot of BS on immigrations part but it is what it is, each office may do things differently.

The 800 k is solid.

The 800K has to remain in the bank 2 months prior and 3 months after the initial extension.  In some offices one has to return after 90 days and show the bank book again-  then there must be 400K left in the bank and  2 months prior to the next extension topped up again-  Immigration will also check the balance  at the next extension to make sure one had the 400K still in the bank.

IMO this is not solid but  is causing  a headache for the applicant making sure of  amounts; visits to Immigration and resowing bank book  to make sure Immigration sees the right amounts at the right time

The income method while cumbersome each month can be backed up by statements or tax records showing  the source of income and amounts. Award letters from US Social Security; Pension statements and US Bank accounts will all match and serve as absolute proof one's income is generated abroad and meets the 65K monthly requirement.

CM Immigration was visited by the Us Embassy and shown  the actual documentation that US Citizens get  and they should be aware of what it looks like and means.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The general requirements are here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80 (click Eng at the top of the page to change from Thai) It says you need at least 15 days remaining on your entry but CM wants at least 21 days. I suggest you check with them to confirm what the want.

It think will have to check in at immigration to have them stamp the receipt for your TM30 report to update it.

I can always extent my tourist visa with another 30 days and I was going to do my normal TM30 update

1 minute ago, Thaidream said:

The 800K has to remain in the bank 2 months prior and 3 months after the initial extension.  In some offices one has to return after 90 days and show the bank book again-  then there must be 400K left in the bank and  2 months prior to the next extension topped up again-  Immigration will also check the balance  at the next extension to make sure one had the 400K still in the bank.

IMO this is not solid but  is causing  a headache for the applicant making sure of  amounts; visits to Immigration and resowing bank book  to make sure Immigration sees the right amounts at the right time

The income method while cumbersome each month can be backed up by statements or tax records showing  the source of income and amounts. Award letters from US Social Security; Pension statements and US Bank accounts will all match and serve as absolute proof one's income is generated abroad and meets the 65K monthly requirement.

CM Immigration was visited by the Us Embassy and shown  the actual documentation that US Citizens get  and they should be aware of what it looks like and means.

Argue it/complicate it all you want.

I plan on just keeping the 800 k in an account no need to fool with the time or 400 k.

Cannot think of a simpler way to do things here so easy peasy.

And yes, in my mid 60's I have no problem letting the 800 k sit in an account. Unlike some,  I actually planned my financial life for many years so absolutely no worries.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think I would wait until you could apply for the 30 day extension. I would do the change of visa status long before then in case they want something you don't have.

i know as soon as I'm Sydney I will top my account and by the time I'm back it would be almost 30 days in the account.

Thanks very much for your help.

13 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

A guy I know who has used an agent for years tells me his agent now charges 39,000 for all new customers up from the 25,000 he still pays.......and she’s inundated.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yet to see what they are charging in Chiangmai, I assume BJ 's  fanfare was all for nowt but I guess if people are getting hassle it is probably way up there.

• Like 1