Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

snoop1130

Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

1552374434872.jpg

Five foreign tourists have spent their holidays today collecting rubbish along Laem Pong Beach in Krabi. They say they say they are very sad to see rubbish strewn all over the beaches and felt compelled to clean it up.

38 year old Latvian man Uldis Baumais, one of the tourists, says, “We have stayed at a hotel near the beach for 10 days. We have found lots of rubbish but no one collects this rubbish or cleans the beach.”

“Why?”

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/krabi/five-foreigners-spend-their-holidays-cleaning-up-rubbish-along-krabi-beach

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-12

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johng said:
9 minutes ago, SammyT said:
Sigh. Always one that makes that same, tired quip. Congratulations

Remember the Tsunami volunteers ?

The Tsunami volunteer didnt have to get work permits , after all the clean up work had been done , it was then that the rules reverted back to the normal working visa rules

Kudos to them. If everyone here who bitches about the garbage spent 3 hours a week in a group cleaning a couple of blocks it would be more worthwhile than complaining. Id do it. 

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Kudos to them. If everyone here who bitches about the garbage spent 3 hours a week in a group cleaning a couple of blocks it would be more worthwhile than complaining. Id do it. 

Good to see foreigners doing something positive as opposed to just whinging. Sadly it’s gonna take more than a few hours and a weekly gesture but it’s gotta start somewhere and maybe that’s what required to begin to change the way people view the problem. 

40 minutes ago, the guest said:

I don't lift a finger in Thailand, always somebody waiting to report you.

Waste of time unless the locals do it instead.

so your just a taker?....are you fat and sweaty?.....no one is going to report you for picking up rubbish...I do it in my street.....its not a waste of time, its a good thing to do....mr GUEST what do you do all day apart from not lifting a finger?You are a negative unhappy person who only see faults.....and complains all day.......get off your fat arse and contribute to the community .....

Farang Expats, willing to do this on a daily basis should be granted annual automatic Visa-Extensions, regardless of financial background.
- A win-win situation: Clean Beaches again without costing the Thai Governement a single Satang and Farangs on a low budget may still be able to remain in Thailand.

After 3 years of regular "duty on the Beach" Farang will be issued Thai-Citizenship, provided that he can sing the Thai National Anthem flawlessly.
Everybody Happy!

PS: While working out this brilliant concept in my mind, I was sitting at "Lulu's Bar & Grill", consuming liberal amounts of Beer.
Under these circumstances, I have been known to developpe strange, dilusional concepts when it comes to Thailand and it's Farang residents. Forgiveness please!

I do this every week on the beaches here in Pattaya, it's a part of my weekly exercise .

The locals stares at me and pointing . I couldn't care less what they are thinking, just trying to show them what they should have been doing. 

Littering is a pet peeve of mine here in Thailand and I will get to it in a minute.  A few months back I shared a photo with my wife and asked why. She didn't know the answer and then shared it with the locals on their Line app.

Where I live in central Thailand the Thais call this the front road as it winds along the Nan River. This drop off is right down the road from me and it has been this way for years. About once year the government officials dump dirt to cover up the problem and it looks good for a while. Plus, it help covers up the trash that the locals have tossed over the side. I'm the one that mentioned it might be dangerous.

Apparently, I embarrassed someone and was soon invited to a special meeting at the village's headquarters. They filmed the meeting and I took photos. The talk was all about money. At the end of the day, the officials did install a safety barrier. 

tractor.JPG

Since I shared that photo and got results, a few of the local villagers have shared some of their photos. More and more Thais are complaining about trash being dumped on the side of the road, which is a good thing...

litter sign 2.JPG

12 hours ago, chanangrak said:

so your just a taker?....are you fat and sweaty?.....no one is going to report you for picking up rubbish...I do it in my street.....its not a waste of time, its a good thing to do....mr GUEST what do you do all day apart from not lifting a finger?You are a negative unhappy person who only see faults.....and complains all day.......get off your fat arse and contribute to the community .....

You seem to forget that Thais are over 60 million to throw garbage in the wild every day.

They could do the exact thing in their home country.It's different.Go to another country to clean it when you could stay home and clean their own country.I 

doubt thai's care how clean the island is.The foreigners who knows.Maybe some of them.Many are out drinking every night and probably haven't noticed the trash.Anyway good for the trash pickers.

48 minutes ago, missoura said:

Littering is a pet peeve of mine here in Thailand and I will get to it in a minute.  A few months back I shared a photo with my wife and asked why. She didn't know the answer and then shared it with the locals on their Line app.

Where I live in central Thailand the Thais call this the front road as it winds along the Nan River. This drop off is right down the road from me and it has been this way for years. About once year the government officials dump dirt to cover up the problem and it looks good for a while. Plus, it help covers up the trash that the locals have tossed over the side. I'm the one that mentioned it might be dangerous.

Apparently, I embarrassed someone and was soon invited to a special meeting at the village's headquarters. They filmed the meeting and I took photos. The talk was all about money. At the end of the day, the officials did install a safety barrier. 

tractor.JPG

Since I shared that photo and got results, a few of the local villagers have shared some of their photos. More and more Thais are complaining about trash being dumped on the side of the road, which is a good thing...

litter sign 2.JPG

Hi missoura,

I have never written on this forum before but felt compelled to write something here. I have been living in Phuket for 10 years. I love my life in Thailand. I completely and utterly love my Thai wife. We both are disturbed by the rubbish we find on the streets and beaches of Thailand. We pickup rubbish when ever we can and do our best to educate the importance of rubbish collection. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 20 years, when we had advertising in Australia (my birth place) teaching people not to throw rubbish out if moving cars. Australians would leave rubbish everyday. Today it's frowned upon, similar to smoking. Thai people need to be educated with public campaigns that will adjust their thinking. It will happen. Just give it time my friend. Keep up your great work. Every bit makes a difference. Great work. Forget the sarcastic comments on this forum. Let's push forward and always look at the glass being half full. I know I will. 

Is this infrequent behavior different than picking up 20 dogs from one area or spraying the CM air pollution with water?

these are desperation acts b/c there is no effective and manageable system in place for each of these serious problems....

great examples of a completely ineffective and unaccountable gov in full display and for a country so sensitive to their image they project to the outside....

in two years, only Chinese tourists remaining....

6 hours ago, balo said:

I do this every week on the beaches here in Pattaya, it's a part of my weekly exercise .

The locals stares at me and pointing . I couldn't care less what they are thinking, just trying to show them what they should have been doing. 

Friend of mine who was self described "butterfly" used to collect trash on Jomtien Beach years ago. Said it was a great way to meet "good" Thai girls when they came up to thank him (not pitch in and help, natch).

Maybe some readers who see bedding scads of women as life goal might want to try that approach.

Beaches aren't too awful these days as there actually is a beach clean up crew in the morning. People still drink & eat then walk away leaving trash, so should be a steady job.

I am torn between making a beach more clean ( and doing a good deed) verses having the locals just stare at you laughing feeling no shame.  I have quit picking up garbage along the beaches in Thailand since the government does very little to educate their people about littering which includes throwing trash in the sea. Forget the old generation of Thais but start educating the students and run a media campaign. Also, do the Buddhist monks ever discuss respecting the environment? ( All I see are wats asking for financial support ( “good merit”) to build another building. I even see garbage laying around temple grounds or plastic being burned in a trash pile on wat grounds. These religious institutions should be our mentors. 

9 hours ago, swissie said:

Farang Expats, willing to do this on a daily basis should be granted annual automatic Visa-Extensions, regardless of financial background.
- A win-win situation: Clean Beaches again without costing the Thai Governement a single Satang and Farangs on a low budget may still be able to remain in Thailand.

After 3 years of regular "duty on the Beach" Farang will be issued Thai-Citizenship, provided that he can sing the Thai National Anthem flawlessly.
Everybody Happy!

PS: While working out this brilliant concept in my mind, I was sitting at "Lulu's Bar & Grill", consuming liberal amounts of Beer.
Under these circumstances, I have been known to developpe strange, dilusional concepts when it comes to Thailand and it's Farang residents. Forgiveness please!

you have your priorities right, well done

it is not just the beaches but everywhere, here in my village the soi's are constantly strewn with rubbish and even on the golf courses there is rubbish that i pick up when playing and the caddies thing you are mad.

having said that how many rubbish bins do you see on the streets, my answer very very few.

Archived