BANGKOK 21 April 2019 17:21
snoop1130

Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

There's a trend currently doing the rounds where people take a photo of some lace that's covered in rubbish, then clean it all up and tae a photo of it cleaned, then post them online. They could have been doing that. 

As far as online trends go, it's definitely one of the better ones. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

The Tsunami volunteer didnt have to get work permits , after all the clean up work had been done , it was then that the rules reverted back to the normal working visa rules

This is a report from the Red Cross following the tsunami.

"At least two pre-registered INGOs surveyed also encountered problems in increasing staff numbers in support of tsunami relief efforts. TICA and the Ministry of Labour had allocated quotas on the numbers of foreign staff for individual organisations and would not issue additional visas and work permits. The additional staff arrived anyway and had to operate with tourist visas until they were eventually able to obtain business visas and work permits."

https://www.ifrc.org/Global/Publications/IDRL/country studies/report-thailand.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beaches in Thailand are not what they used to be,,,

all the dropping from stray dogs,,,and people including farangs ,bring their dogs to the beach on the morning to take a dump and they don't pick after the dog,  I will not say nothing about other  garbages , you can see it for yourself, and the water is polluted with sewage water

• Like 1

Are they that hardworking at home? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HumusKing said:

Hi missoura,

I have never written on this forum before but felt compelled to write something here. I have been living in Phuket for 10 years. I love my life in Thailand. I completely and utterly love my Thai wife. We both are disturbed by the rubbish we find on the streets and beaches of Thailand. We pickup rubbish when ever we can and do our best to educate the importance of rubbish collection. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 20 years, when we had advertising in Australia (my birth place) teaching people not to throw rubbish out if moving cars. Australians would leave rubbish everyday. Today it's frowned upon, similar to smoking. Thai people need to be educated with public campaigns that will adjust their thinking. It will happen. Just give it time my friend. Keep up your great work. Every bit makes a difference. Great work. Forget the sarcastic comments on this forum. Let's push forward and always look at the glass being half full. I know I will. 

Rubbish is everyones problem, I applaud your view.

• Like 1

It's illegal to clean up the beach without a work permit, maybe the gov would have hired a thai to clean up, but now the beach is clean and the thai has no job. This is how they think and it wouldn't be the first time that a foreigner is arrested for volunteer work. I wouldn't risk it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Humking

yes, it’s fine to applaud the temporary do gooders but it doesn’t solve the problem. Sustained change is about reaching the decision makers....

in a culture that is all about status quo, tradition and resistance to change, you might wish to re-think your statement about “give it time”.

it’s about completely changing the current mindset abruptly and harshly....

change little by little and it evolves to a desired outcome doesn’t work in a culture so stuck in its ways, without vision and refuses to question it own practices....

• Like 1

i used to pick up rubbish, fix holes in the road, fit peoples water pipes, dig drainage and basicallly help out with everything. I nolonger do so because local officials tried to have me deported. Police, gov officials and local people all got together to get rid of my family and why? Because they feel we think we are better because we would do these things. Let that be a lesson to all. Do nothing for thais until things change. I say light more fires, faster speed zones, military drug dealing governments, etc. I'll sit around and enjoy the show.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They promised to come back next week and bring more friends to blow the smog away:

blowing%20smog%20away_zpsxroei1pl.png

• Confused 1