Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

snoop1130

Yeah, there's definitely a missing ingredient here.  But in all fairness, my country was like that in a lot of places 40 years ago.  Trash dumps along side of roads and in stands of trees just out of sight from the road, and some major cities were absolute shit holes.  Took time, government campaigns and enforcement, and slowly seeped into the collective conscious in following generations.   These days, if someone tossed a used drink container out their car window at a red traffic signal no doubt someone nearby would call them on it, possibly more than 1.  It's just not acceptable behavior anymore. 

The area I have to pass through to get home here is disgusting.  All sorts of trash along side the roads, packs of soi dogs lingering around, roads are absolute shit.  It's an eye sore. 

There was a bunch of broken glass right in the middle of my soi for 2 days.  I noticed it just as I crunched though it riding my pushbike yesterday ????.  The people living in the house right where it was (renters) didn't care.  Last night during walk/exercise, I took a big broom and swept it off the roadway.  People were watching me from inside houses and patios.  Good!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Its good to see that there are well intentioned people on the Planet, but such a shame these people came to LOS, for a holiday and were compelled to clear all the trash off the beach.

Does Thailand have no shame ?

Nope!

22 hours ago, johng said:
23 hours ago, SammyT said:
Sigh. Always one that makes that same, tired quip. Congratulations

Remember the Tsunami volunteers ?

Yes, also something we are constantly reminded of whenever someone makes a post about "working for free"

such a stupid comment

Why ? You do know that as a foreigner you need a work permit to legaly work in Thailand ? the fact that sometimes a "blind eye is turned" is neither here nor there. 

Work is defined as expending energy either physical or mental whether paid for or not...its a catch all definition..lots have been caught out by it.

23 hours ago, johng said:

Work permits ? !!! emoji12.png

Ever heard of the TRASH HEROES groups all over the Kingdom none have work permits ,no one has been arrested or warned.

Have their own facebook pages hardly hiding.Thais and Foreigners all doing a great job, why dont you join ?

Ever heard of the TRASH HEROES groups all over the Kingdom none have work permits ,no one has been arrested or warned.
Have their own facebook pages hardly hiding.Thais and Foreigners all doing a great job, why dont you join ?
No thanks....no work permit no work...its quite simple...why risk arrest and possible deportation ?...like I said before the fact that "a blind eye" is often turned for others doesn't help when you are in the monkey house.

15 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Yeah, there's definitely a missing ingredient here.  But in all fairness, my country was like that in a lot of places 40 years ago.  Trash dumps along side of roads and in stands of trees just out of sight from the road, and some major cities were absolute shit holes.  Took time, government campaigns and enforcement, and slowly seeped into the collective conscious in following generations.   These days, if someone tossed a used drink container out their car window at a red traffic signal no doubt someone nearby would call them on it, possibly more than 1.  It's just not acceptable behavior anymore. 

The area I have to pass through to get home here is disgusting.  All sorts of trash along side the roads, packs of soi dogs lingering around, roads are absolute shit.  It's an eye sore. 

There was a bunch of broken glass right in the middle of my soi for 2 days.  I noticed it just as I crunched though it riding my pushbike yesterday ????.  The people living in the house right where it was (renters) didn't care.  Last night during walk/exercise, I took a big broom and swept it off the roadway.  People were watching me from inside houses and patios.  Good!

I've started to do this with the nutter facing me, (the one who now has seven dogs).

Only its dog turds.

She lets them out (dogs) for a crap, I deposit all the turds back in her drive at night. 

She normally flicks them down the drain..

The ecology chain is about as stable as the space between their ears.

They feed the dog whatever. 

Put Turds down the drain.

Into Pattaya central system and into the sea.

Become yum cha for the fish.

We eat the fish.

Scraps to the dogs.

Starts all over again. 

On 3/12/2019 at 5:59 PM, Nyezhov said:

Kudos to them. If everyone here who bitches about the garbage spent 3 hours a week in a group cleaning a couple of blocks it would be more worthwhile than complaining. Id do it. 

Why aren’t the people profiting from the beaches keeping them clean??

How do you tout yourself as a “world class tourist destination” if you can’t be bothered to clean your own beaches??

On 3/12/2019 at 5:46 PM, Kadilo said:

Well done to them. Sadly doubt we will be seeing them come back anytime soon.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I dont agree, its not their responsibility and no doubt the Thai individuals who should be doing the job, will just sit back under a tree, smile, eat their rice and and thank them.  All these people are doing is making the locals even lazier than they already are. I would not lift a finger to help the Thais clear up their mess, unless it directly impinged on my life.  Fortunately I don't live near a filthy beach. 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:07 PM, the guest said:

I don't lift a finger in Thailand, always somebody waiting to report you.

Waste of time unless the locals do it instead.

Just could be that you and many foreigners with high demands for packaged products are part of the problem. I welcome solutions, and you?

Just could be that you and many foreigners with high demands for packaged products are part of the problem. I welcome solutions, and you?
One solution is for the government both local and national to provide adequate waste collection and recycling services so everyone can utilise them.

Why aren’t the people profiting from the beaches keeping them clean??
How do you tout yourself as a “world class tourist destination” if you can’t be bothered to clean your own beaches??

Most of the rubbish is washed ashore from ships throwing their trash overboard and littered klangs/ rivers emptying into the sea. The government makes enough off tourism that it could afford to hire a crew of needy souls needing employment ( 300 baht a day is the going rate) to clean the beaches every morning.
Foreign tourists who have paid for their flights and hotels plus using their well earned vacation days to pick up garbage have better things to do. It’s the TAT responsibility to clean up the beaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 3/14/2019 at 3:05 AM, Pilotman said:

I dont agree, its not their responsibility and no doubt the Thai individuals who should be doing the job, will just sit back under a tree, smile, eat their rice and and thank them.  All these people are doing is making the locals even lazier than they already are. I would not lift a finger to help the Thais clear up their mess, unless it directly impinged on my life.  Fortunately I don't live near a filthy beach. 

Being rewarded for being lazy or stupid is something many people have come to expect and accept.

• 2 weeks later...

Waste of a holiday. If you must do this, do it at home where it will be appreciated. As someone who spends lots of time on Thai beaches I can tell you the trash was back the next morning.

Many years ago I picked up huge amounts of trash on a beach Jan 2. The Thai all day in the shade. When I was done, they applauded me.

The government doesn't care. There were no Thai picking that trash up the day before and there will be no Thai picking trash up the day after.

Hope they were careful and avoided broken glass and syringes.

Don't worry the trash will disappear in less than ten years when fishing stocks fully depleted.

I'm American. Why does Thailand have an aversion to 55 gallon (old oil drums) trash bins? In the States, admittedly more litter-conscious than Thailand, parks, BEACHES, street corners, anywhere there can be trash there is a place to put it. Why can't the Thais figure this out? And yes, I've heard, "It'll put all the 60yo street sweepers out of work", so don't bother. Also, I know several Thais, usually younger, who are environmentalists and are sick of the trash everywhere.

I'm American. Why does Thailand have an aversion to 55 gallon (old oil drums) trash bins? In the States, admittedly more litter-conscious than Thailand, parks, BEACHES, street corners, anywhere there can be trash there is a place to put it. Why can't the Thais figure this out? And yes, I've heard, "It'll put all the 60yo street sweepers out of work", so don't bother. Also, I know several Thais, usually younger, who are environmentalists and are sick of the trash everywhere.

Unfortunately any decent looking trash bin would be stolen by some local. ( I have lived here for 15 years) Also, they’re not pro-active enough ( at outdoor festivals, or even at a mall) to think of distributing trash cans / bins around so people can get rid of their litter properly. How many times have we walked around endlessly in a city in Thailand trying to find a place to throw away our empty water bottle or cup? I guess we do what the locals do- leave it along the curb or where you were sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived