Five foreigners spend their holidays cleaning up rubbish along Krabi Beach

snoop1130

They use plastic bags instead, just put your trash into one of them along the road side. Then the bag will hopefully be picked up by someone.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/12/2019 at 10:40 AM, SammyT said:

Sigh. Always one that makes that same, tired quip. Congratulations

some friends and myself wanted to help physically after the Tsunami 2004 near Khao Lak and yes, we got asked for a work permit.

Paying 1000 Baht avoided an awkward night in prison.. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:33 AM, HumusKing said:

Hi missoura,

I have never written on this forum before but felt compelled to write something here. I have been living in Phuket for 10 years. I love my life in Thailand. I completely and utterly love my Thai wife. We both are disturbed by the rubbish we find on the streets and beaches of Thailand. We pickup rubbish when ever we can and do our best to educate the importance of rubbish collection. It wasn't that long ago, maybe 20 years, when we had advertising in Australia (my birth place) teaching people not to throw rubbish out if moving cars. Australians would leave rubbish everyday. Today it's frowned upon, similar to smoking. Thai people need to be educated with public campaigns that will adjust their thinking. It will happen. Just give it time my friend. Keep up your great work. Every bit makes a difference. Great work. Forget the sarcastic comments on this forum. Let's push forward and always look at the glass being half full. I know I will. 

I keep hearing and reading about this 'education' thing.

While it is true that education will go a long way in modifying bad habits. At least in many countries.

But I have been in Phuket for some 15 years now, and I have been waiting for some results with this education endeavour.

In actuality, I see it all getting worse. Young, old, people just discard their rubbish all over. In the parking of Big C, seeing a lady about 80 years old, just taking papers from the shopping basket that she took, and just throwing it on the ground. I picked it up, walked to the garbage bin, and disposed of it. She was just staring at me incredulously. I see people walking out a 7-11, and just dropping their receipt on the ground, right next to the garbage bin. I find myself naïve in thinking that what I do will count overall. Just a drop.

While I walk to the market, I pick garbage off the street. But I am the only one. Of course, mainly because I am the only one walking. Others are busy driving their motorbikes and dumping their plastics on the side of the street. One street vendor just left a crushed rat on the asphalt, right in front of his stall... Oblivious...

And the roads are getting more dangerous. faster motorbikes, with the typical irresponsible driving.

If this is the result of the so called 'education', logic would require a full stop of this education process...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 4:35 AM, Andre0720 said:

While it is true that education will go a long way in modifying bad habits. At least in many countries.

Apparently it worked well in Singapore.

• 3 weeks later...

The foreigners need a work permit to clean up Thailands trash. Because Thai locals are too lazy to do it, Thailand will always be known as the land of pollution and the land of trash. Foreigners are not the problem, Thais are the land's worse enemy.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:00 PM, balo said:

They use plastic bags instead, just put your trash into one of them along the road side. Then the bag will hopefully be picked up by someone.

More likely ripped open by local dogs and spread around.

These actions are positive, as it embarrasses the super cheap local officials. They see this going on, and it is a glaring testament to their incompetence and unwilling to spend money, rather than hoard it. Cleaning up the beaches costs nearly nothing. Clean up crews are inexpensive, show pride in the place, and encourage tourism. Who wants to spend a bundle on a vacation, and sit around looking at other ridiculously ignorant and inconsiderate people's trash? It also embarrasses the local people, and brings them some much needed perspective on the environment.

One contradiction in Thai society that I have always found amusing. You ask the average Thai person how do you feel about your country? Oh, I love Thailand. How do you feel about the land? Oh, Thailand is so beautiful. OK, so why do you throw your trash out the window of your car, why do you dispose of trash on the street, rather than looking for a bin, and why do you throw your cigarette butts on the street, and trash the beach? Just a dumbfounded, blank stare. People need to become more conscious about the environment here before it is too late. 

But I have been in Phuket for some 15 years now, and I have been waiting for some results with this education endeavour.
In actuality, I see it all getting worse. Young, old, people just discard their rubbish all over. In the parking of Big C, seeing a lady about 80 years old, just taking papers from the shopping basket that she took, and just throwing it on the ground. I picked it up, walked to the garbage bin, and disposed of it. She was just staring at me incredulously. I see people walking out a 7-11, and just dropping their receipt on the ground, right next to the garbage bin. I find myself naïve in thinking that what I do will count overall. Just a drop.
While I walk to the market, I pick garbage off the street. But I am the only one. Of course, mainly because I am the only one walking. Others are busy driving their motorbikes and dumping their plastics on the side of the street. One street vendor just left a crushed rat on the asphalt, right in front of his stall... Oblivious...
And the roads are getting more dangerous. faster motorbikes, with the typical irresponsible driving.

If this is the result of the so called 'education', logic would require a full stop of this education process...

I have lived in 5 different countries during my career and have decided you can tell how truly prosperous or educated a country is by observing the local’s attitude towards littering and taking care of their environment.
I am really puzzled how the young Thais display such ignorance in taking care of their environment. Older adults I can understand but the new generation should know better.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived