Chiang Mai- The Ignored Toxic Wasteland

lucky2008

Yes sad but true!! 

This morning Chiang Mai ranked #1 as having the most polluted air on the entire planet. 

I'm really starting to ask myself is this really where I want to raise my children. Sure it's only bad a few months per year, but just imagine how damaging it can be as a life-long resident. 

I really can't think of why I should countinue living here in Chiang Mai and subject my kids to this shit.

For the sake of our children government wake the <deleted> up!! 

https://youtu.be/QcS3ovdsgNI 

50 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

If you are not tied to this 

Apart from the rainy season (June to September), AQI is never good here.  No rain, AQI is in the yellow or worse!

I can deal with it in yellow as it still means moderate, but being ranked number #1 in the world should be considered national emergency. 

We are living in a hazerdous conditions, and it seems the powers to be don't really care. 

2 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

We are living in a hazerdous conditions at the moment, and it seems the powers to be don't really care. 

No, they do not and even moderate yellow if pretty damn dangerous if it's consistent.

35 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

I can deal with it in yellow as it still means moderate, but being ranked number #1 in the world should be considered national emergency. 

We are living in a hazerdous conditions, and it seems the powers to be don't really care. 

National emergency and things of real importance are e.g.

- Searching for prostitution in Pattaya. (without finding any, of course)

- Ensuring no beach-umbrellas and beds on the beaches.

- Make sure nobody can not smoke cigarets on beaches and in other public areas.

Who cares that 1 mill. people are currently choking to death in Chiang Mai. 

No. 1 at traffic deaths and now also pollution. Great work Thailand!

It has never really bothered or effected me, but this year is pretty bad, and to actually Peak at Number 1 on the worlds worst air quality list, this is serious. Today was really bad.

If I was a tourist and read about how bad the air is, I would't visit Chiang Mai.

Hopefully, this affects airline bookings, hotels, tour companies and local tourist attractions, because unless the locals are affected financially, there is nothing the local or National Government will do.

I'm not sure they even know what to do...but pray to Buddha that the rains come so they don't have to do anything.

It is starting to make me think about my long term future here...

1 minute ago, DLock said:

It has never really bothered or effected me, but this year is pretty bad, and to actually Peak at Number 1 on the worlds worst air quality list, this is serious. Today was really bad.

If I was a tourist and read about how bad the air is, I would't visit Chiang Mai.

Hopefully, this affects airline bookings, hotels, tour companies and local tourist attractions, because unless the locals are affected financially, there is nothing the local or National Government will do.

I'm not sure they even know what to do...but pray to Buddha that the rains come so they don't have to do anything.

Same for me. I am also thinking about what to do in the future. For sure I will not want to keep staying here with my wife and kids in conditions like this.

The thing that amazes me the most, is the complete stupidity behind this and that the government (both local and national) are not seeing this as something really serious. The military should have been deployed by now. 

Well I guess a football team caught in a cave is just more exiting than 1 mill people slowly choking to death. The stupidity is simply unbelievable. 

I think Chiang Rai is a great place, and would be a lovely place to raise kids, but the pollution is so appalling that I would feel as a parent that I had put their long term health in danger.

OP ... whilst Pattaya has a reputation it has great facilities for a family and in your position I would not hesitate to move for the sake of your children. The adult areas are easily avoidable.

1 hour ago, khunpa said:

No. 1 at traffic deaths and now also pollution. Great work Thailand!

It unbelievable that nothing is being done about this. 

50 minutes ago, DLock said:

Me too. I really didn't even consider leaving until I noticed one of my little ones breathing a bit funny last night while she was sleeping. 

44 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Same for me. I am also thinking about what to do in the future. For sure I will not want to keep staying here with my wife and kids in conditions like this.

I agree. Like one of the posters said if you really don't have anything keeping you here might as well leave. 

36 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I think Chiang Rai is a great place, and would be a lovely place to raise kids, but the pollution is so appalling that I would feel as a parent that I had put their long term health in danger.

So true.

I know I'm putting their health in danger  that's what's really bothering me. 

Air pollution is arguably the greatest environmental catastrophe in the world today. The situation here is without doubt, a public-health disaster.  

Click on the AirVisual map and you will see the whole of northern Thailand covered in red dots. There was even a purple one reading over 200. I was there in December, thought the air was quite bad then...even tho nothing compared to now. Wouldn't live there myself, never mind raise a family there.

In the 9 years I have been coming here the burning and the resultant poisonous and toxic air has gotten worse. It is obvious the government leaders really don't care and just talk back doing something but nothing is ever done. I think it has to do with money and greed and getting the fields ready for the next plantings and damn the health of the populace in the surrounding areas. I think the mindset of thai officials is we have almost 40 million visitors coming to our country so it is business as usual. I am sure the leaders are well insulated from this toxic air and don't really care about trying to solve this totally out of control environmental nightmare. Thailand number 1 again. They must be very proud of their legacies of most road fatalities, the worst air in the world. It is truly pathetic and would be laughable if it were not so serious.

12 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

For the sake of our children government wake the <deleted> up!! 

11 hours ago, lucky2008 said:

I see lots of good comments so far but the above 2 pretty much say it all.

Personally, I blame the present and past governments who have all failed to address this problem.

Just banning burning would reduce the problem enormously. Roll those tanks into town and flex those muscles that the army likes to flex. Write some serious fines. Stop the burning NOW.

Or are they too busy manipulating an election to even bother?

And how about TAT? What spin will they put on this?

Totally irresponsible. What a great way to "Return Happiness to The People".

10 hours ago, AlexRich said:

OP ... whilst Pattaya has a reputation it has great facilities for a family and in your position I would not hesitate to move for the sake of your children. The adult areas are easily avoidable.

5 years ago I did a 'beauty contest' of places we wanted our retirement condo my wife and I looked at CM, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Hat Yai (she is from the south), Pattaya and Jomtiem. Affordability, quality of life, close to transport hubs and ease of getting around without a car or motorbike were the key drivers. 2 weeks in CM did our heads in, red-eyes, constant cough and dirty phlegm were dead giveaways and sadly because there were many things we loved about CM - air quality meant it was off the list. In the end we chose Jomtiem and have never been happier.  Prices are cheap here as well and 10 baht buses a huge bonus.  Surprised more digital-nomads haven't set up shop here either. As a cynic one can almost believe the 'government' would happily let the Thaksin heartland choke to death, rather than make inroads into the problem. If you can move I would move before it seriously starts to affect the health of yourself and your loved ones. 

13 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

5 years ago I did a 'beauty contest' of places we wanted our retirement condo my wife and I looked at CM, Hua Hin, Bangkok, Hat Yai (she is from the south), Pattaya and Jomtiem. Affordability, quality of life, close to transport hubs and ease of getting around without a car or motorbike were the key drivers. 2 weeks in CM did our heads in, red-eyes, constant cough and dirty phlegm were dead giveaways and sadly because there were many things we loved about CM - air quality meant it was off the list. In the end we chose Jomtiem and have never been happier.  Prices are cheap here as well and 10 baht buses a huge bonus.  Surprised more digital-nomads haven't set up shop here either. As a cynic one can almost believe the 'government' would happily let the Thaksin heartland choke to death, rather than make inroads into the problem. If you can move I would move before it seriously starts to affect the health of yourself and your loved ones. 

Jomtien is a great choice. Its underrated as a family expat destination.

Chiang Mai apologist here.

First Chiang Mai is great mid-May through the mid-February, that is nine months of the year. This year we made it tell March.

My main thought when I read this, and just can’t get the outrage worked up like my fellow expats, is I worked in the 1980’s. Yep back in those “good times”, Woohoo!. BTW not in Chiang Mai, but in upcountry Thailand. This smog and smoke has always been here. They have been burning stubble off for centuries as pest control and to get it ready to plant when the rains come. I don’t know how you are going to stop that as it is farmers and poor people that do it. Hey I know, the government could give them so more money to not burn … haha just joking.

I am have always been under the working pattern that the hot season, is vacation season. I usually try and go to Indonesia or The US at this time. In Indonesia they have reverse seasons, the rainy season is just ending. This year I am staying longer. But next month I will be off to the Aegean. Good things come to those who wait.

So I hear all your belching but its relative. Enjoy your belching, that is what belching is for, and stay in Pattaya …. It’s all good  :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, wisperone said:

Click on the AirVisual map and you will see the whole of northern Thailand covered in red dots. There was even a purple one reading over 200. I was there in December, thought the air was quite bad then...even tho nothing compared to now. Wouldn't live there myself, never mind raise a family there.

I live about 30 km outside Surin which according to airvisual is brown on the scale and yet the air seems crystal clear and fresh to breath, no haze, no smell. There is even spanish moss  (I think that is what it is called) growing and hanging from some very large trees on the temple grounds which I believe only grows where the air is good.

36 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I live about 30 km outside Surin which according to airvisual is brown on the scale and yet the air seems crystal clear and fresh to breath, no haze, no smell. There is even spanish moss  (I think that is what it is called) growing and hanging from some very large trees on the temple grounds which I believe only grows where the air is good.

Airvisual map doesn't show a sensor for Surin.  Nearest is at Nakhon Rachasima.

53 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

First Chiang Mai is great mid-May through the mid-February, that is nine months of the year. This year we made it tell March.

Chiang Mai levels were in the red in late January.  Been a few relatively good days since then, but plenty of bad ones.  Had a few good days last week, before the burning kicked off big time on Sunday.  Once the rains finish, Chiang Mai levels are in the yellow zone.  That's not good quality air.

The bottom line is if you have a family.  Chiangmai is not a good place to raise your kids not only for the pollution but for many other reasons.

If you are single like me and can leave every year at this time of the year and do some traveling then its not really a problem.  With good air filters and masks you can lower you exposure at other times of the year.

If you are a short term tourist, I don't see the attraction of coming at this time.

If you cannot leave because of work or financial reasons.  You need to take steps to lower your exposure.  air filters and high quality masks.  Being indoors will not protect you unless the air is filtered for PM 2.5

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I think the color you meant to say is orange, and yes in this case you probably don't notice anything, but best believe the danger is out there. 

The most harmful pollution consists of small particulate matter, 2.5 microns in size or less, called PM2.5. These particles are small enough to work their way deep into the lungs and into the bloodstream, where they trigger heart attack, stroke, lung cancer and asthma. 

Look at it like this: one cigarette per day is the rough equivalent of a PM2.5 level of 22 μg/m3. Double that level, and it is equivalent to 2 cigarettes per day.

CM is currently reporting around 160 μg/m3. This is the equilvilant to 7 cigarettes per day. 

It's clear to me now why Chiang Mai has the highest lung cancer mortality rate in the country. 

8 minutes ago, lucky2008 said:

I think the color you meant to say is orange, and yes in this case you probably don't notice anything, but best believe the danger is out there. 

The most harmful pollution consists of small particulate matter, 2.5 microns in size or less, called PM2.5. These particles are small enough to work their way deep into the lungs and into the bloodstream, where they trigger heart attack, stroke, lung cancer and asthma. 

Look at it like this: one cigarette per day is the rough equivalent of a PM2.5 level of 22 μg/m3. Double that level, and it is equivalent to 2 cigarettes per day.

CM is currently reporting around 160 μg/m3. This is the equilvilant to 7 cigarettes per day. 

It's clear to me now why Chiang Mai has the highest lung cancer mortality rate in the country. 

The only relatives I have that died prematurely were all smokers ... no coincidences there. If you can live 6 months in CM and 6 months elsewhere you might be okay, but with kids that is not possible.

i like the one american guy- yea its been this way for years- no big deal- ill head to the aegean if it gets too bad lol. yea worst air quality in the world- that must be fake news right? what about the people that actually live in this area? this is a problem that needs attention not the ooo its not rally happening or so what it doesn't affect me. 

2 minutes ago, johnnykak said:

i like the one american guy- yea its been this way for years- no big deal- ill head to the aegean if it gets too bad lol. yea worst air quality in the world- that must be fake news right? what about the people that actually live in this area? this is a problem that needs attention not the ooo its not rally happening or so what it doesn't affect me. 

I dunno what you're on about?

Most of the people in the area are no doubt proud of this achievement. Thailand number 1.

2 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

My main thought when I read this, and just can’t get the outrage worked up like my fellow expats, is I worked in the 1980’s. Yep back in those “good times”, Woohoo!. BTW not in Chiang Mai, but in upcountry Thailand. This smog and smoke has always been here. They have been burning stubble off for centuries as pest control and to get it ready to plant when the rains come. I don’t know how you are going to stop that as it is farmers and poor people that do it. Hey I know, the government could give them so more money to not burn … haha just joking.

I am have always been under the working pattern that the hot season, is vacation season. I usually try and go to Indonesia or The US at this time. In Indonesia they have reverse seasons, the rainy season is just ending. This year I am staying longer. But next month I will be off to the Aegean. Good things come to those who wait.

So I hear all your belching but its relative. Enjoy your belching, that is what belching is for, and stay in Pattaya …. It’s all good  :thumbsup:

All true but you didn't have a million folk back then and nearly the same number of engines and air cons all beavering away. Plus what you didn't know didn't hurt you - forewarned is forearmed.Our 10-year-old niece moved from Rangsit to Pattaya when she was 6 and her health and lung condition improved immensely. 

Archived