Retirement extension but outside thailand for extended periods and bank deposits

lets say one has a retirement visa/extension but is elsewhere for extended periods and practically would just leave bank funds wherever they are (home country as example) is it still required to send money to a in thailand bank every month?

say 6 months in home country for whatever reason.

• Sad 1

Simple answer. Just let your current extension expire and obtain a NON OA visa from your home country whilst you are there, if used properly you get 2 years out of it. Look at your home country Thai embassy website and read the many threads about in on Thai Visa.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The rules state you have to show 12 months of transfers of transfers to apply for the extension. 

If you missed some transfers you would have to start all over again.

imo seems patently absurd if the person is outside of thailand and would be better served to withdraw from their home bank atm still needing to transfer and incur transfer fees every month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, atyclb said:

imo seems patently absurd if the person is outside of thailand and would be better served to withdraw from their home bank atm still needing to transfer and incur transfer fees every month.

Perhaps a retirement Extension is not the best means for someone who 

16 hours ago, atyclb said:

is elsewhere for extended periods and practically would just leave bank funds wherever they are

Or easier to sit on a 800k deposit.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Requirements are here on the MFA website. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

You can get a total stay of almost 2 years from it by getting a new one year entry just before it expires and then a re-entry permit to keep it it valid if you want to travel.

Ubonjoe,

Just so I understand correctly, to get the 2nd year stay from an O-A visa (almost 2 years as you state), you would need to do a border run (leave & re-enter Thailand) before the expiration of the O-A visa to get the 2nd year stay, correct? And, if you want to travel during that 2nd year stay, you would need to buy a single or multiple re-entry permit. Is that correct? So, the choice for an O-A visa holder is; 1) do a border run at a cost of 2,000 to 3,000 THB depending on your location or, 2) go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 1-year extension-of-stay. Is that all correct?

Edited by JohnnyBD

12 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

So, the choice for an O-A visa holder is; 1) do a border run at a cost of 2,000 to 3,000 THB depending on your location or, 2) go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 1-year extension-of-stay. Is that all correct?

It is not a choice, you need to do both! A border run just before the Visa expires to get a further 1 year permission of stay. If during that further year you wish to leave Thailand, a re-entry permit is needed to retain the further permission of stay date. Multiple Re-Entry if multiple trips.

Re-Entry Permits are 1000 baht single, 3800 baht multiple.

An Extension would require money in bank, or income etc.

Edited by jacko45k

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It is not a choice, you need to do both! A border run just before the Visa expires to get a further 1 year permission of stay. If during that further year you wish to leave Thailand, a re-entry permit is needed to retain the further permission of stay date. Multiple Re-Entry if multiple trips.

You may have misunderstood my question. Not about re-entry permits. It was about getting an extra year's stay.

The choice for getting another year's stay would be either, 1) doing a border run which costs 2,000 to 3,000 THB or, 2) you can just go to Thai immigration and get your normal 1-year extension-of-stay for 1,900 THB.

In either of those cases, if you wanted to travel, you would need to pay for a re-entry permit...

Edited by JohnnyBD

1 minute ago, JohnnyBD said:

The choice would be either doing a border run which costs money or you can just go to Thai immigration and get your normal 1-year extension-of-stay for 1,900 THB. In either case, if you wanted to travel, you would need to pay for a re-entry permit...

Yes, sorry didn't complete my last post.

The one year of transfers or 800k in the Thai bank are other reasons the 1900 baht extension may not suit you. (Or getting married... ????)

16 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

Ubonjoe,

Just so I understand correctly, to get the 2nd year stay from an O-A visa (almost 2 years as you state), you would need to do a border run (leave & re-enter Thailand) before the expiration of the O-A visa to get the 2nd year stay, correct? And, if you want to travel during that 2nd year stay, you would need to buy a single or multiple re-entry permit. Is that correct? So, the choice for an O-A visa holder is; 1) do a border run at a cost of 2,000 to 3,000 THB depending on your location or, 2) go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 1-year extension-of-stay. Is that all correct?

More or less correct.

You have to remember though that to apply for the one year extension at immigration you would have to meet the financial requirements for it. That would be proof of 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income.

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

More or less correct.

You have to remember though that to apply for the one year extension at immigration you would have to meet the financial requirements for it. That would be proof of 800k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 65k baht income.

Thanks... that is understood. So, people who don't have the 800k in Thai bank or 65k in income are more likely to go back to the USA for the O-A visa. Whereas, those with the 800k can just get another year's stay by paying the 1,900 THB at immigration and doing the normal 1-year extension-of-stay.

Edited by JohnnyBD

2 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

Thanks... that is understood. So, people who don't have the 800k in Thai bank or 65k in income are more likely going back to the US for the O-A visa. Whereas, those with the 800k can just get the extra 1 year stay by paying the 1,900 THB at immigration and doing the normal 1 year extension of stay. rather than making a border run...

Only if they are from the US..

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, sorry didn't complete my last post.

The one year of transfers or 800k in the Thai bank are other reasons the 1900 baht extension may not suit you. (Or getting married... ????)

I'm ok, I have the 800k in bank. I'm just trying to understand why some people go back to USA to get O-A visa and then do a border run for a 2nd year stay when they could go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 2nd year stay. Ubonjoe more or less explained...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chang50 said:

Only if they are from the US..

Yes, only US citizens can get O-A visas in the USA. I think everyone understood my sentence that "people going back to the US for the O-A visa" meant people who are only from the US. Thanks anyway...

Edited by JohnnyBD

5 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

I'm ok, I have the 800k in bank. I'm just trying to understand why some people go back to USA to get O-A visa and then do a border run for a 2nd year stay when they could go to immigration and pay 1,900 THB for a 2nd year stay. Ubonjoe more or less explained...

The other differences are:

--the O-A visa allows you to keep your bank funds in your home country, and doesn't require their being brought into Thailand and deposited into and kept in a Thai bank.

--But the O-A visa also typically requires you to obtain medical and police clearances in your home country that must be submitted to the Thai Embassy or consulate. The retirement extension of stay at Immigration doesn't require those.

Some people travel back to their home countries regularly anyway... Others don't and want a solution that allows them to stay in Thailand without having to travel internationally.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The other differences are:

--the O-A visa allows you to keep your bank funds in your home country, and doesn't require their being brought into Thailand and deposited into and kept in a Thai bank.

--But the O-A visa also typically requires you to obtain medical and police clearances in your home country that must be submitted to the Thai Embassy or consulate. The retirement extension of stay at Immigration doesn't require those.

Some people travel back to their home countries regularly anyway... Others don't and want a solution that allows them to stay in Thailand without having to travel internationally.

Thanks for explaining... That makes sense...

4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

This is a good example of how idiotic Thai Immigrations new rules are for a simple one year visa extension.  There are so many expats that travel extensively yet are based in Thailand.      

The extension is designed for people that want to live permanently in the country, not use it as a base.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, atyclb said:

This is a good example of how idiotic Thai Immigrations new rules are for a simple one year visa extension.  There are so many expats that travel extensively yet are based in Thailand.      

a rational person/system would look at passport and see you have been outside thailand and connect the dots and not penalize you for not sending money to the country you have not been present in

31 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The extension is designed for people that want to live permanently in the country, not use it as a base.

2 bkk condos and a couple of hundred k usd invested and nickel and dimed to death with unnecessary hassles. i used to think root canal was perhaps the worst experience i have had. well having had 2 root canals i can say the root canals are now preferable to visa hassles.

14 minutes ago, atyclb said:

a rational person/system would look at passport and see you have been outside thailand and connect the dots and not penalize you for not sending money to the country you have not been present in

You are correct but that assumtion would eliminate the majority of Thai Immigration officers.  To watch what Thai Immigration leaders are coming up with weekly is mind boggling, as the four western embassies say and do nothing. ???? 

• Like 1